PDA

View Full Version : The Resurrection Of Dead Actors Using CGI

isla
06-13-2017, 07:22 AM
I read an article in a computer magazine about ten years ago, about the rapid advances being made in CGI. The author speculated on the near future possibility of creating new films with deceased actors who had never appeared together in life. One example offered was a romance starring Elvis and Marilyn Munroe.

I see that Peter Cushing has 'appeared' in the latest Star Wars film "Rogue One: A Star Wars Story" although he died more than 20 years ago. He played the villainous Grand Moff Tarkin in the original "Star Wars" in 1977, and reprises his role in "Rogue One" courtesy of CGI.

So how about John Wayne in a 'Desert Storm' movie, or Robert Mitchum in a contemporary action movie? Or is the whole thing just sick and unethical? Discuss.

Reynard38
06-13-2017, 07:25 AM
I would certainly hope if done the familes would be asked for permission and receive compensation.

Paul Pless
06-13-2017, 07:26 AM
Tupac Hologram Live Show

warning contains language that will probably offend grumpy old white people

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGbrFmPBV0Y

Norman Bernstein
06-13-2017, 07:27 AM
I imagine that the estates of some actors would prohibit the use of their image for this purpose... and other estates might see it as a money-making opportunity, licensing the likeness.

I'm not sure if it's a tribute to the talent and personality of the actor/actress, or not.... I don't think I'd be kindly disposed toward it.

skuthorp
06-13-2017, 07:32 AM
I've been anticipating a 'new' Elvis film for years.:ycool:

But personally I'd prefer The Who,
Talking 'bout my Regeneration
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-geX7D4hgM

isla
06-13-2017, 07:32 AM
Like Norman, I suspect that some estates might never agree to allowing 'their guy' to be used in this way, but others might see it as a way to capitalize on the name. I also think that the actor's fan base would have divided opinions. Some would love to see their idol unexpectedly revived and appearing in a new film, while others would be appalled at the idea.

Norman Bernstein
06-13-2017, 07:35 AM
Like Norman, I suspect that some estates might never agree to allowing 'their guy' to be used in this way, but others might see it as a way to capitalize on the name. I also think that the actor's fan base would be have divided opinions. Some would love to see their idol unexpectedly revived and appearing in a new film, while others would be appalled at the idea.

I more or less agree that it would be a bad idea... but it WOULD be interesting. Could CGI, along with really good script writing, result in an Academy Award winning performance? Would there be a special Academy category for fake actors? :)

skuthorp
06-13-2017, 07:35 AM
Well, how about a zombie Elvis film?
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/7e/06/1f/7e061f30fd829c6e4a1dc48f7923506b.jpg

TomF
06-13-2017, 08:05 AM
Jurassic Park, with less amber.

CWSmith
06-13-2017, 08:36 AM
It's a horrible idea. At best, the "character" can only give a computer programmer's idea of what the artist would provide.

TomF
06-13-2017, 08:43 AM
It's a horrible idea. At best, the "character" can only give a computer programmer's idea of what the artist would provide.Exactly. Would be useful for cameo or bit-part character roles only, where the dramatic impact would hinge on the safe, predictable aspects of a person's established film persona. A leading role would, quite literally, be dead.

BrianY
06-13-2017, 08:44 AM
Can anyone think of any reason to do this other than for the sake of novelty and the resulting profits? There's no artistic reason I can think of. It's nothing more than commercial exploitation of a bankable commodity.

Norman Bernstein
06-13-2017, 08:46 AM
Can anyone think of any reason to do this other than for the sake of novelty and the resulting profits? There's no artistic reason I can think of. It's nothing more than commercial exploitation of a bankable commodity.

I can think of ONE useful purpose. You may recall the film 'Play it Again, Sam', by Woody Allen, which used a Bogart impersonator in a cameo role.... it was intrinsic to the story, and specifically in a case like that, a CGI character would have been better than an impersonator.

isla
06-13-2017, 11:12 AM
^ Also the case of Peter Cushing mentioned in the OP, where a film series includes prequels or flashbacks, and one of the earlier episode actors has died.

Before Bruce Lee starred in 'Enter the Dragon' and 'Way of the Dragon' he had been making a film in Hong Kong called 'The Game of Death'. He was then offered a big Hollywood deal for 'Enter the Dragon', so abandoned his own film. He died in 1973. After his death producers wanted to capitalize on his popularity, so in 1978 they commissioned director Robert Clouse to finish 'Game of Death' using some original footage from Lee's film, some other footage of Lee from other film cuts, and a body double. The result is a mess. It would have been smarter, and more ethical, to just let this one go, but today it could be done with CGI if it was a worthwhile project.

Jim Bow
06-13-2017, 11:22 AM
Two points: There was a local attempt to turn John Wayne's boat into a museum. Failure.
Most of the folks who visited the waterfront sites weren't alive when John Wayne was acting.
The Roy Rogers museum was closed and auctioned. No one cared.

Movie stars should be remembered for their work, after all good films are forever.

Osborne Russell
06-13-2017, 11:23 AM

Who needs art when you have technology?

Gerarddm
06-13-2017, 11:59 AM
The CGI of Peter Cushing was eerily good. The CGI of Carrie Fisher was not quite up to par.

Peerie Maa
06-13-2017, 12:05 PM
They did something similar for Les Dawson, in front of a live audience

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjlVWGj4cjo

Breakaway
06-13-2017, 12:12 PM
They did this back in the 1990's, no?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CCX1xUdMsNs

Kevin

P.I. Stazzer-Newt
06-13-2017, 12:12 PM
Lillian Gish in the next run of Game of Thrones.