PDA

View Full Version : There ought to be a law....

Norman Bernstein
06-12-2017, 08:40 AM
….in fact, several of them.

Mandatory arbitration clauses in consumer contracts should be legislated to be void and unenforceable. Companies use these clauses to basically inoculate themselves against the consumers they serve… but the right to sue for redress is a constitutional right, and no one should be able to abrogate those rights. Do consumer lawsuits clog the courts? Then hire more judges.

Citizens United, passed in the Supreme Courts by five activist judges, must be reversed. I don’t see the mention of corporations in the Constitution. In fact, at the time of the Framers, corporations were chartered by the government for a limited time only. With the accelerating level of economic inequality in this country, we run the risk of fully converting to an oligarchy… with perhaps a few dozen corporations being in full control of the government, and obviously against the interests of the people.

The ‘carried interest’ loophole must be closed. Someone needs to tell me why we give a whopping tax break, mostly to the top 25 hedge fund managers who, two years ago, took an average of $1B EACH in compensation… a tax break on profits that weren’t even theirs, to begin with. It amounts to $44 BILLION in lost revenue over 10 years. Trump even supports this... but then again, he doesn't benefit from it (see the next item)

The estate tax must be preserved. We provide a generous exemption for estates, as it is… but the bulk of estates consist of capital gains that have actually never been taxed. Why do we provide this break, which benefits ONLY a percent or two of the wealthiest families in the country? Let the heirs suffer with a mere $5M in tax-free inheritance… we don’t need to hold a benefit for them. Why does Donald Trump enthusiastically support repealing the estate tax? Because his children will benefit by BILLIONS of dollars. Do they NEED a tax break?

Voter photo ID requirements should be banned, nationwide. The evidence of voter impersonation fraud is essentially non-existent… but the disenfranchisement of legitimate voters is enormous. How many legitimate voters would anyone want to disenfranchise in order to prevent a single case of impersonation fraud…. A crime which is barely detectable, at all? No one is being fooled: voter ID laws are implemented by conservatives to damage the progressive vote… I know of no circumstances in which Democrats have done this. If they can’t attract the voters on the basis of their political ideology, then why do we allow them to just eliminate the opposition?

That’s just a few of them.

Reynard38
06-12-2017, 10:45 AM
Stay the **** out of the left lane unless you are passing.

Oh and a mandatory year at hard labor for not using your turn signals.

Garret
06-12-2017, 11:01 AM

+ 1 gazillion

Years ago during the WWJD thing, I saw a bumper sticker I loved: "Jesus would've used his turn indicator".

However, the OP comes from a state where the only use for a turn indicator is to create a space in the lane next to you, obviating the need for looking to see if there actually is one.

Finally, VT actually has laws for both keeping right except to pass & using a turn indicator when changing lanes. They even enforce them sometimes!

Canoeyawl
06-12-2017, 11:52 AM
I noticed a small bumper sticker recently. About an inch high and 8 inches long it said "Do you follow Jesus this close?"

amish rob
06-12-2017, 12:28 PM

A year?! Softy. I'm thinking stoned to death in the intersection, while everyone else watches.

Also parking lot speeders. I have mentioned before here, my friends had a daughter killed in a parking lot by a speeder. While the girl was holding her mom's hand.
The Alyssa Samansky Track Meet raises money for her favorite charity every year. RIP kiddo.

Peace,
Robert