PDA

View Full Version : distracted drivers

George Jung
06-02-2017, 03:51 PM
Just a rant - had a 'near miss' driving home from work, where an SUV in the center lane decided to switch to my lane, without looking, without signaling. Unfortunately, I was occupying that space, and had to run up over the (high) curb to avoid hitting her - twice. I laid on the horn, and she pulled back into her lane - then tried it again. Appeared to be texting. Wouldn't stop, so all I got was her license plate.

Car started to pull a few blks later, got real bad just before I reached my garage. I knew what that meant. Gouged a pretty nice hole in the sidewall; unclear if the wheel is damaged, or the alignment. No body damage.

So I called my insurance agent - got to meet the deductible, as classified as 'a collision'; they won't 'go after' the other driver, but suggested I call the police. They were sympathetic but unhelpful; not much they can do.

This is an AWD vehicle; I imagine I'm on the hook for at least two tires (maybe 4?), plus alignment, plus possibly a new wheel. But... no one hurt (well, I'm a touch agitated).

Good times.

SKIP KILPATRICK
06-02-2017, 03:55 PM
Yesterday during rush hour I saw a woman driving down I-95 not using her phone! It was so unusual I had to snap a pic of her and post it to twitter. That's when I hit the back of the Trooper's cruiser! :D

George Jung
06-02-2017, 04:00 PM
Yep. Ain't that how it always goes?

So.... genius patrol (and troll).... how many tires do I *have to* replace?

S.V. Airlie
06-02-2017, 04:03 PM
When living in Cooperstown, one sunny morning, I checked this out to see who was driving while texting. In an hour, I watched about 40 cars go by and 33 were obviously texting while driving.

No granted, it wasn't a major thoroughfare, just a street in a residential area with a lot of kids living on it. It was an accident waiting to happen.

It's against the law but, enforcing it is something else. I do know there's a way to check to see if anyone is texting after an accident but, either the police don't check or don't remember to.

The fine is pretty steep, I think almost $1,000.00 for the first offense and then, goes up for any others.

Garret
06-02-2017, 04:05 PM
If AWD, unless the other 2 are almost brand new (& iof so, the 2 new ones must be the exact same size, model, & brand - all 4. Sorry!

skuthorp
06-02-2017, 04:08 PM
Police here have taken to standing on freeway bridges with binoculars and passing the registration info to HQ.

George Jung
06-02-2017, 04:09 PM
If AWD, unless the other 2 are almost brand new (& iof so, the 2 new ones must be the exact same size, model, & brand - all 4. Sorry!

They're 'very good', but - I don't know how many miles are on them. There's a shop in town specializes in BMW- I might have them look at it.

SKIP KILPATRICK
06-02-2017, 04:10 PM
George,

You might get lucky and just need one tire depending on how much wear your have on the others. I assume it was a front tire? The car may have been pulling just from that one tires loss of air. I've been going to the same independent tire shop for the last 30 years. They are real straight shooters and never try to sell me something I don't need. Hopefully you can find a trusted shop near you.

Skip

p.s. I feel for you! My commute to and from work is only 18 miles each way, all hwy, but since there are at least two accidents almost every day it takes 45 mins to 1 hour 15 mins.

Phillip Allen
06-02-2017, 04:13 PM
is texting while driving the AK47 of driving?

S.V. Airlie
06-02-2017, 04:15 PM
is texting while driving the AK47 of driving?Both are unnecessary.

skuthorp
06-02-2017, 04:17 PM
I was rear ended by a truck driver talking to his boss on the phone.

I also saw a similar accident occur when the driver was ogling a couple of girls on the sidewalk. Ran straight into a parked car.

George Jung
06-02-2017, 04:19 PM
George,

You might get lucky and just need one tire depending on how much wear your have on the others. I assume it was a front tire? The car may have been pulling just from that one tires loss of air. I've been going to the same independent tire shop for the last 30 years. They are real straight shooters and never try to sell me something I don't need. Hopefully you can find a trusted shop near you.

Skip

p.s. I feel for you! My commute to and from work is only 18 miles each way, all hwy, but since there are at least two accidents almost every day it takes 45 mins to 1 hour 15 mins.

Thanks; I'm pretty careful but the local stats are 'on average, one accident every 12 years'. Also why I don't ride my motorcycle.

I also saw a similar accident occur when the driver was ogling a couple of girls on the sidewalk. Ran straight into a parked car.

One accident 'avoidable'; the other, 'understandable'....

S.V. Airlie
06-02-2017, 04:21 PM

I also saw a similar accident occur when the driver was ogling a couple of girls on the sidewalk. Ran straight into a parked car.I was as well in MD. Stopped at a red light. If I hadn't been there, she'd have gone through it and get broadsided by a car doing 50 on Rte 50 through Easton. Someone would have died in all probability.

You can't fix stupid.