PDA

View Full Version : Something Cool

amish rob
05-30-2017, 02:05 PM
Well?

Tell the class about something cool. Cool thing you did today, saw today, or made today.
Did.
Saw.
Made.

Or don't.

Peace,
Emperor For Life (But Not In Charge Of Anything, Thankfully)

Glen Longino
05-30-2017, 03:14 PM
bump!
I bumped this thread so it does not fall off the bottom of the page..
That's it!
I fear my cool days are all behind me. I'll have to settle for bland and mediocre days! Anybody else?

Jimmy W
05-30-2017, 03:19 PM
I just had a Carolina wren on my window sill looking in. Meantime a pair of Downy Woodpeckers have taken over the suet feeder and are driving everything else off, even much larger birds like Brown Thrashers.

http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd41/jimmywga/Downy%20Woodpecker%2002_zpsg1vgtoyv.jpg

TomF
05-30-2017, 03:27 PM
Gonna Go with the Daughter tonight to look at an old piano, 'cause she and her fiance have bought a house together, and he will move in on Friday. He wants to be able to use the same truck on Friday to move it...

switters
05-30-2017, 03:30 PM
25 miles on the fat bike yesterday, more than half on intermediate single track. I used all 10 gears on a 9 speed cassette which means we used the HAB gear a few times, Hike A Bike going up some of the expert sections, and down one expert section. While coming back down off of the hill we were on the road with a nice shoulder, and I found myself going through a pretty open hairpin turn posted at 30 mph. As I entered the corner a full dresser Harley was next to me and we stayed next to each other in the bend ofr a bout 10 seconds. I was able to look over and read the speedometer. 35, when the road straightened out he accelerated away, but it was pretty cool. Not that 35 is fast, but that's about all the speed I want on a fatty.

And I was able to walk up the stairs this morning. Mediocre for sure, but a success for this old man.

mmd
05-30-2017, 03:34 PM
I am drawing the structural arrangement and general arrangement for a 50-passenger whale watching boat. That's kinda cool, though my esteemed daughter would frown on my activities because she thinks that whale watchers harass whales too much. Maybe that cancels the cool bit...

cs
05-30-2017, 03:39 PM
Well I re-read the Bill of Rights and re-affirmed my faith in our system of government as envisioned. Does that count?

Chad

JayInOz
05-30-2017, 03:41 PM
Walked around the yard at sunrise in a minus four frost looking at the last of the autumn colour on the trees- and feeling good that I planted every single one of them. And noticed flowers on the apple trees and baby wood ducks swimming in the dam- and tomorrow is the first day of winter- weirdness. JayInOz.

amish rob
05-30-2017, 03:47 PM
I'm in the middle of making something I will post a picture of in a bit.

So far, this thread is awesome.

Mostly I just wondered what kind of things we would find cool in our lives in this day. So far, very cool. All!

Peace,
Robert

Peerie Maa
05-30-2017, 03:54 PM
Walked the dog, which made her happy, listening to skylarks and enjoying the cranesbills.
http://www.bees-ymca.org.uk/sites/bees-ymca.org.uk/files/images/tn_geraniums.jpg

Shang
05-30-2017, 03:55 PM
Gave away a stationary bike to someone who wanted to go nowhere fast.

Todd Bradshaw
05-30-2017, 04:42 PM
Bought another barrel yesterday ( I don't know why, I guess because they're cool) and I've been out in the driveway dodging little showers and cleaning up the wood, prior to labeling and finishing it. It will get some stenciling and silk screening like the other one and then get sprayed with conversion varnish. We use them for end tables next to a window seat.

http://webpages.charter.net/tbradshaw/Sails%20and%20Plans/barrel_2.jpg

Also did some finishing work on a rain cover for the big canoe, for those days when we're up north and it might be sitting out on the beach.

http://webpages.charter.net/tbradshaw/Sails%20and%20Plans/cover.jpg

JTA
05-30-2017, 04:59 PM
saw -
My beautiful wife, and I still wonder how I got so lucky

Jack

skuthorp
05-30-2017, 04:59 PM
Getting over a cold and finishing some new spars for another club member's boat. I am getting a bit of paid work like this since I restored a couple of Club boats. Spars, wooden blocks etc. Not that I want too much of it of course. And it's definitely 'cool' in my shop this time of year.

CWSmith
05-30-2017, 05:04 PM
I laid the foundation for something cool. I struggled activating a long bit of code that I inherited so that I can get moving again. My students are doing great work, but they need the code working to complete their efforts. So once this mundane effort is done, we at least get back to doing something cool.

wizbang 13
05-30-2017, 06:18 PM
I just got back from the Caribbean 2 days ago . Today I took the cover off Wonderland and Bingo and am sanding Bingo for fresh varnish. This next weekend is our annual "Blessing of the Fleet" and Janny wants to get a boat in the water for it .Was so busy with Wonderland last year we never launched Bingo.
https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4267/34189522353_72441861a1_z_d.jpg
Oh..and I pulled a giant hairball out of the bathtub drain that our house sitter left behind...no picture of that.

wizbang 13
05-30-2017, 06:20 PM
Walked the dog, which made her happy, listening to skylarks and enjoying the cranesbills.
http://www.bees-ymca.org.uk/sites/bees-ymca.org.uk/files/images/tn_geraniums.jpg
Happy Birthday Nick!

Jim Mahan
05-30-2017, 06:23 PM
I had gotten sick of looking at some of the early things I had codged together for woodoworking. One of them is the mallet I use for knocking joineried things together. A block of sycamore oriented ninety to the maple handle. I pared it down in getting it to be more even and balanced, and as I cleaned it up, it got smaller and as it got smaller, it became less heavy and less effective therefore in the smacking crap around effort. So I pulled the handle out, and since it was hand-carved and uneven and crude even, I put the handle on the lathe. To compensate, I bored a three-quarter inch hole in the side of the haft, where the handle fits inside the head, and melted half a pound of lead to pour in it. So now I have a smartly orthodox mallet that weighs more than it did before though it is smaller. Then I added another bit of lead to the visible top of the handle where my first attempt at making a clean joint fell short. Cool.

http://i.imgur.com/MW9EBAQ.jpg

I forgot that molten lead has a viscosity like water, and even though my joint was fairly tight, a bunch ran out of the crack and splatted on the concrete floor—and my new handmade, Rockport chukkas. Not cool. But no worries; it only left a coupla small light-colored spots, that I'm sure will fade with a little polish. Cool.

David G
05-30-2017, 06:30 PM
I got to work on the re-powering of a client's boat. He's replacing an 8 hp Yamaha (a pair of which had, at one point, replaced dual gas inboards totaling about 250 hp) with the spiffy new Torqueedo 80 hp electric. He'll still be under-powered, but the boats quite old, showing its age, and a bit under-powered is the way he wants it anyway.

http://www.torqeedo.com/us/en-us/products/outboards/deep-blue/deep-blue-80-r/M-3201-00.html

http://www.torqeedo.com/on/demandware.static/-/Sites-torqeedo-master/default/dw543221c0/torqeedo/outboards/deep-blue/deep-blue-80-r/1/torqeedo-deep-blue-80-r-280x280.jpg

ron ll
05-30-2017, 07:34 PM
I'm semi-retired, the emphasis on semi. I always really enjoyed my work and I started a real project for a real client today. I like having time off to do other things, but I miss the work as well so starting this project brought me some really needed creative outlet joy today. That's it, that's all I got.

Arizona Bay
05-30-2017, 07:35 PM
Had a couple of days off after a busy weekend, and got to work on the garden for a couple hours before the heat came up. Getting a section ready for watermelon and cantaloupe... the rabbits need to share this time!

The family of Lesser Goldfinch brought their fledglings to drink and bathe in the wall fountain out front. They're getting better at landing.

Unwrapped a another rust print, this one came out pretty cool :) never know what your going to get... and rust does sleep in the desert!

http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc125/nirgal2/458988fb-8b1c-41b1-8cd6-9a90ba97757f_zps0sponbdg.jpg

L.W. Baxter
05-30-2017, 08:10 PM
new strings on the Martin jumbo, just now.

cs
05-30-2017, 08:11 PM
Does being cool include re-lightning the shop with 4' LED fixtures? Can you say let there be light?

Chad

AnalogKid
05-30-2017, 08:27 PM
I had my mug in the paper:

http://www.stuff.co.nz/auckland/local-news/north-shore-times/93125750/highbury-community-house-holds-repair-cafe-in-aucklands-birkenhead

I'm in the last photo, attending to the red & silver kid's bike in the workstand.

johnw
05-30-2017, 08:41 PM
Today was my day off, but I picked up 10 boxes of books from a ritzy place downtown. Spent most of the day digging out the books and assuring my shop cat, Beau Geste, that he's not being neglected when I'm working to earn his cat food.

Here's Beau:

https://3.bp.blogspot.com/-0FaWJV5rU8U/WNWYwOj9uwI/AAAAAAAAAQc/DJ1l79hCDoEgzL2yp82slG_sOMAfYC0VgCLcB/s1600/Beau%2BGeste%2Bour%2Bcat%2Bhas%2Ba%2Bname.jpg

Some cool stuff came out of the boxes, like The Crusades through Arab Eyes, a personal favorite of mine, some Isaiah
Berlin to dress up the philosophy section, some cool mythology, etc.

LeeG
05-30-2017, 08:49 PM
Well I re-read the Bill of Rights and re-affirmed my faith in our system of government as envisioned. Does that count?

Chad

Heck yeah

LeeG
05-30-2017, 08:50 PM
Does being cool include re-lightning the shop with 4' LED fixtures? Can you say let there be light?

Chad

I got eight of those from Home Depot for my son in laws shop, wicked bright.

LeeG
05-30-2017, 08:55 PM
One daughter sent me a pic of nasturtiums I planted two months ago below the tool shed. Other daughter sent me pic of a 70's era 15' rv trailer in great shape that she just got.

Reynard38
05-30-2017, 09:02 PM
Made good progress on the last part of my Rambler build, the forward seats.
Also wrote the final check to our architect as the plans for the new house are done and signed off by the structural engineer.

TomF
05-31-2017, 06:13 AM
Piano search update: the Daughter and I found an actual instrument, not a piano shaped object. A full sized old Heintzman upright, with life yet in the soundboard and the action still all in good (but dusty) shape. A bit of doodling to file grooves out of the hammer faces and soften the compacted hammer felts with a bit of needling, but even before that it has a decent sound. Bonus - the case is in pretty decent shape too, and it has all original ivory key tops too - with no chipping.

Best of all? Free. Renovating, and it was gonna go to the dump. We have a truck rented for Friday. It will need a couple of tunings to raise the pitch, but it's gonna be a perfect and attractive piano for the girl as she and her guy put their new house together.

skuthorp
05-31-2017, 07:03 AM
There's a strange muso round Melbourne known as 'The Tortise' and he's a piano rescuer and restorer. Single of course, his house is full of them.

TomF
05-31-2017, 07:09 AM
There is, as my piano tuner recently observed sadly, no money to be made in piano restoration. He said he can sometimes get the cost of materials out, but not often. Has made it a personal mission to keep the really worthy old instruments from going to the dump or being made into planters, but it is a folly. As I said, the piano we found last night is a surprisingly good potential instrument, with a bit of time invested. It could have sold for up to several hundred dollars, but this time, the alternative was apparently a date with chainsaw and sledge.

Most small old pianos probably aren't worth the work, barring sentimental value. But the good ones...

skuthorp
05-31-2017, 07:14 AM
JohnW.
Found a book today on climbing, Memoirs of a Mountaineer by F. Spencer Chapman. That Freddie Spencer Chapman, DSO and Bar, ED. Author of The Jungle is Neutral.
His Wiki entry they say is incomplete but quite amazing regardless.

woodpile
05-31-2017, 08:04 AM
http://d2fbmjy3x0sdua.cloudfront.net/cdn/farfuture/mXKpxe7vIG-26XdyZq9zIn8E5bJdXs_lPTYfReQf0aA/mtime:1486907462/sites/default/files/styles/nas_bird_photo_thumbnnail/public/Pileated_Woodpecker_m57-4-021_l_1.jpg?itok=4OAEX7Pt

Working out in the garden watching the pileated wood peckers, finally seem to have a nesting pair in the area, see them nearly every day, cool big birds.
Not my picture, trying to get a good shot, not easy.

mmd
05-31-2017, 08:39 AM
TomF, I understand your piano angst. Our old upright reached a point where restoration was needed, but cost prohibitive. We couldn't even give it away, so I disassembled it and kept the good bits such as the carved scrolls, carved pediment legs, and the real ebony and ivory keys. Never know when I'll want to learn how to do fancy inlays...

BrianY
05-31-2017, 08:42 AM
Watched my 15 year old son play the string bass in the pit orchestra for a rehearsal of Dammed Yankees being put on by the Middle School. He's been playing electric bass for a couple of years but just started playing the string bass back in September. I'm proud to say that he pretty much nailed the part.

Jim Mahan
05-31-2017, 08:49 AM
Watched my 15 year old son play the string bass in the pit orchestra for a rehearsal of Dammed Yankees being put on by the Middle School. He's been playing electric bass for a couple of years but just started playing the string bass back in September. I'm proud to say that he pretty much nailed the part.

This is the wrong thread for that. It should be on the 'way cool' thread. :)

amish rob
05-31-2017, 09:32 AM
We have eerily similar son experiences. Mine has switched to a 5 string fretless, but is also rehearsing for a fairly large gig.
Same same age range and all.

Peace,
Robert

amish rob
05-31-2017, 09:36 AM
Honestly, Folks, I had nothing.

Yesterday was a pretty bad day, and I just wanted to hear some good news.

Checking in throughout the day made it easier to find the bright spots in my own day.

I will take a few pics of some happenings of the day, though, now that it's over and I can breathe, again. :)

Peace,
Robert

P.S. Thanks. Everyone. This thread is awesome. I think EVERY SINGLE thing on here is cool. Thanks for sharing your cool stuff.

Canoeyawl
05-31-2017, 11:58 AM
I had a busy day yesterday. But this was something hot, like 325f and lots of it.
About 11:00 am I got the call from a driver that we lost an 600 hp engine in a big rig pulling the grade over the Santa Cruz mountains. Stopped dead in the lane! Unfortunately this truck was 81,000 lbs of which 61,000 was hot (perishable) asphalt. By the time I drove my service truck up there to investigate and learn that in fact it was "dead" (lost the ECM) I had to bribe/beg, using a few thousand dollars, a heavy tow/ recovery company to immediately come up there and bring it all back to the yard. At which point I had to invent a way to dump and reload this 30 tons of hot mix into other trucks and get it out to the crew of 5 men waiting to pave.
I was able to modify the hydraulic system of another dump truck (one that I am still building), park it beside the dead one and using the engine and hydraulics from one truck to operate and dump the other. (Of course this involved remote hydraulic and air lines, two 3 yard loaders, 2 more dump trucks, 3 mechanics, an operator and 2 drivers and my best thinking cap)
I did it, we finished putting down the mix and rolling it just after dark.
The asphalt had a cost of $20k, a value of $30k, not to mention the potential nightmare of having it solidify in the truck.
The day was saved, it felt good, but tired...

(Tomorrow I'm going sailing for a week! The forecast today was wind steady at 30, gusts to 40 so I might just sail to an undisclosed location and anchor for a while in a gunkhole with no other humans in sight. Which is the best!)

amish rob
05-31-2017, 12:39 PM
http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h62/kitchenfiddle/IMG_2033_zpsuufvteul.jpg (http://s61.photobucket.com/user/kitchenfiddle/media/IMG_2033_zpsuufvteul.jpg.html)
These were berry cool. That missing one is becoming a Doodle maker. :)

Peace,
Robert

jsjpd1
05-31-2017, 12:49 PM
I whittled a toy wooden sword for one of the kids.

http://i646.photobucket.com/albums/uu186/jsjpd1/77E606B3-CBE0-4F0F-902D-DD6AF7AAFF16_zps3m7ha3nx.jpg

http://i646.photobucket.com/albums/uu186/jsjpd1/DE52C2FB-CB2C-4663-902A-26361020FCD3_zps6ypcgtzl.jpg

And the girls and I spent time in the ceramics studio. I'm working on fish cups.

http://i646.photobucket.com/albums/uu186/jsjpd1/445F4660-9484-4E7B-988D-5A5C94B166CD_zpstjhtzpre.jpg

bluedog225
05-31-2017, 12:49 PM
Cool thread.

Represented by significant other in an illegal tow hearing. Nailed the evil, rotten bastards for over $600. Maybe I've found my retirement gig.

amish rob
05-31-2017, 12:54 PM
Cool thread.
I totally agree. What an interesting bunch of folks we are, eh? I have enjoyed this very much.

I really was making a cool thing yesterday I hope to finish today and post pictures of.

Thanks everybody for sharing cool things.

Peace,
Robert

David G
05-31-2017, 12:56 PM
Jim - Love your "whittling".

jsjpd1
05-31-2017, 01:29 PM
Thanks Mr. G! It was a pleasant way to pass the time while we were out camping.

JayInOz
05-31-2017, 03:56 PM
TomF, I understand your piano angst. Our old upright reached a point where restoration was needed, but cost prohibitive. We couldn't even give it away, so I disassembled it and kept the good bits such as the carved scrolls, carved pediment legs, and the real ebony and ivory keys. Never know when I'll want to learn how to do fancy inlays...

I pulled apart a piano from the early 1920's and used the inlaid panels to make an open fireplace surround (the fireplace was about five feet high by eight feet wide, so anything I could physically skull drag through the door would fit on the fire) and I kept the keys, assuming that they would be ebony and ivory. A restorer I spoke to later said that unless it was a high end piano, the white keys were more likely to be compressed junket whey! Something I'd never heard of. Also, my neighbor on the farm to the south at that time was a drummer, and he had a fit when he found out that I'd broken up the cast sound board and dumped it- he'd be chasing one to make a percussion instrument out of. JayInOz

J P
05-31-2017, 04:59 PM
I saw my burros play-chasing a couple wild turkey toms around. That always gives me a chuckle. These spring gobblers are still gobbling and displaying (or trying to), hoping for some action with the hens. Serious business. And they have to deal with these 600lb goofballs.

Then one of the pranksters decides to drop off this 50 degree bank of loose dirt. It's steeper than it looks here.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y279/picsonline/sharemisc/m_IMGP0042_zps7iw6rn8v.jpg

I see them do this occasionally and they seem to do it for fun. Maybe it brings out their inner desert donk? What I haven't seen before is this guy climbed most of the way back up to where he is in the shot above (not easy) and then dropped down for a roll. And roll he did, all the way to the bottom ...

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y279/picsonline/sharemisc/m_IMGP0044_zpsdo0eyhzf.jpg

... where he lay for a few moments basking in his own personal cloud of dirt, contemplating with apparent satisfaction, this hill-rolling thing. Then he gets up with a snort, shakes his ears (ears only, must not lose that well earned layer of dirt) and walks up to the laughing man who sometimes has a little piece of carrot. These guys make me smile. Mostly.

Today I hauled them to another property for a few days.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y279/picsonline/sharemisc/m_IMGP0051-1_zpsx1v1ed6b.jpg

Yes, I put the pin in the door latch.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y279/picsonline/sharemisc/m_IMGP0049-1_zpsmcqou9lq.jpg

And I saw the first bitterroot blossom of the season.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y279/picsonline/sharemisc/m_IMGP0041_zps1mnlnvwh.jpg

Steve McMahon
05-31-2017, 06:38 PM
I went across the street and looked at where the edge of the pack ice was and see how many bits were still floating in the harbour.

https://scontent.fyhz1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t31.0-8/18739232_10156095900297814_1761979578516374391_o.j pg?oh=1de46db1b9c67171c40fa448f3a28861&oe=59B719EE
https://scontent.fyhz1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t31.0-8/18766365_10156095900347814_6203021112359978654_o.j pg?oh=f9871b8b38b09573234302f070163b77&oe=59A2EF03

Todd Bradshaw
05-31-2017, 09:33 PM
Finished the clean-up sanding on my pocket flask today and got the labeling stenciled and screened. Convinced my lovely assistant to polish the yucky spots off of the hoops. I'll start varnishing tomorrow.

http://i1303.photobucket.com/albums/ag153/ToddBradshaw/assorted/pb3_zpsmibnild0.jpg