PDA

View Full Version : Do you know a Muslim?

CWSmith
05-28-2017, 02:09 PM
I'm curious. How many non-Muslims out there actually know a Muslim person reasonably well? With all this talk of dangerous immigrants and terrorists coming in, I wonder how many people outside the Muslim faith know a Muslim reasonably well?

I'm Catholic. I work with something in excess of 10 Muslims (I honestly don't know how many more). They are all delightful, all very western, and all appreciate the reality of a free and democratic society. Some of them come from Iran. The women don't cover their hair or face and they have the sweetest smiles and gentlest demeanor.

I think that the people who are supporting this scapegoating of an entire religion are simply and profoundly ignorant. They believe what they are told and make no effort to learn the truth. That ignorance is the weakness that is taken advantage of by those who build power on fear.

Steve McMahon
05-28-2017, 02:20 PM
Yup - Including my Doctor, my Dentist, and a lot of the people in the engineering community I deal with on a regular basis. Respectable, educated, with an incredible work ethic.

Peerie Maa
05-28-2017, 02:23 PM
Two that I know of, one born into the faith and the other a convert.

S.V. Airlie
05-28-2017, 02:23 PM
I'm curious. How many non-Muslims out there actually know a Muslim person reasonably well? With all this talk of dangerous immigrants and terrorists coming in, I wonder how many people outside the Muslim faith know a Muslim reasonably well?

I'm Catholic. I work with something in excess of 10 Muslims (I honestly don't know how many more). They are all delightful, all very western, and all appreciate the reality of a free and democratic society. Some of them come from Iran. The women don't cover their hair or face and they have the sweetest smiles and gentlest demeanor.

I think that the people who are supporting this scapegoating of an entire religion are simply and profoundly ignorant. They believe what they are told and make no effort to learn the truth. That ignorance is the weakness that is taken advantage of by those who build power on fear.I taught on average, about 30 muslims out of 150 kids from quite a few countries, yearly. Even was chosen by a few as an advisor, their choice. In 3 years teaching in England, with the exception of repeats determined on the classes (subjects) I taught, I figure at least 100. Decent kids with very few exceptions but, often too rich for their own good. Another issue not based on religion.

Keep in mind, this was a boarding school. I dealt with them 24/7 as I dealt with all the kids.

Phillip Allen
05-28-2017, 02:25 PM
[QUOTE=CWSmith;5247519]I'm curious. How many non-Muslims out there actually know a Muslim person reasonably well? With all this talk of dangerous immigrants and terrorists coming in, I wonder how many people outside the Muslim faith know a Muslim reasonably well?

I think that the people who are supporting this scapegoating of an entire religion are simply and profoundly ignorant. They believe what they are told and make no effort to learn the truth. That ignorance is the weakness that is taken advantage of by those who build power on fear.[/QUOTEI

I don't know, I never asked anyone. I do know a couple of Iraqis but don't know if they're Muslims or not

C. Ross
05-28-2017, 02:33 PM
My work requires that I know lots of people, so I know dozens, maybe a hundred. Friends or close acquaintances with about a dozen.

A person's religion is about the least distinctive characteristic about them, I think. Stereotypes based on religion are dumb.

isla
05-28-2017, 02:39 PM
Yes quite a few. One of the best jobs I ever had was working as a research technician for two Muslim academics. One was from Iran and the other from Iraq. We visited each other's homes and socialized a lot. We played snooker together. The Iranian guy had a sister who was a singer of Iranian style pop music. I learned that she was keen to make a demo record, so I offered her the use of my four-track studio, and I played guitar for her. Her boyfriend, also Iranian, made a demo pop video using my soundtrack. He filmed it in Portsoy. I was always made very welcome in their homes, and the food was wonderful.

Back in the day, in Liverpool, I lived in an area where Arabs, West Indians, Indians, Pakistanis and Chinese all live in close proximity. My landlord was a Pakistani Muslim, and I used to hang out with his son. The corner shop was run by an Arab, and I hung out with his son too.

johnw
05-28-2017, 02:42 PM
Well, there's my brother in law, and a former employee who's an Ethiopian refugee, and my former bookkeeper, and quite a few customers. A couple of my fellow grad students were, as well. One of my grad school mates was Zoroastrian, interestingly enough. He was from India. Ended up going on to the London School of Economics for his PHD.

Chris Smith porter maine
05-28-2017, 02:50 PM
I can't say I know them well but the little beer, gas, small market store closest to me is run by a Muslim family very pleasant folks.

amish rob
05-28-2017, 02:56 PM
Several. I would say easily a dozen households I would be welcome in at any hour.

A few of my friends were sent "home" after 9/11 and died. Were killed.

Peace,
Robert

John Meachen
05-28-2017, 03:12 PM
I might know one or two,but I don't know anybody who defines themselves primarily by their religious leanings.

Landrith
05-28-2017, 03:24 PM
I have known several Shia and Sunni Muslims. Its the fastest growing faith population in the world. I have been to some mosques. I have not been around followers of Wahhabism and doubt it would be so significant today if Wahhabism wasn't so badly needed by the USA and the United Kingdom to dispossess Middle Eastern nations of their oil wealth by systematically destroying their civil societies. Wahhabism has also become useful here for Washington's wasteful and destructive swamp dwellers to continue to maintain their control. While Leo Strauss was perfecting using Muslims as a scapegoat in a fabricated Clash of Civilizations, I was being taught the takeaway from WWII History was don't scapegoat a minority.

leikec
05-28-2017, 03:34 PM
Two of my best friends whom I've known since my Tonka Toy in the sandbox days.

Jeff C

PeterSibley
05-28-2017, 03:37 PM
Yes 3, 2 born as Muslim, one a convert. I know many more Sikhs.

TomF
05-28-2017, 03:55 PM
Used to know and work with quite a few. Smaller number since our move to New Brunswick, as this place is much less a magnet for immigration. As lovely a group of folks as any other... unsurprisingly.

Reynard38
05-28-2017, 04:28 PM
I know 3 very well. Two Lebanese and a Palestinian. All great people.
There's another Muslim couple that walk down out street every night. They always say hello.
My daughter had a two good friends in high school. One Iranian and a the other Indian.

Quite a few around here.

bamamick
05-28-2017, 04:33 PM
I know a couple fairly well. I have to admit that their backgrounds and upbringing are so different from mine that I tend to be much more formal with them, which is really kind of a shame in some ways.

Both very nice young men.

Mickey Lake

Chris Coose
05-28-2017, 04:57 PM
I know none. Catholic Charities has been very active in placing African immigrants in Maine and particularly Portland. We see intolerables who act like histeric (oops, meant historic) intolerables when responding to immigration waves.

I see their efforts to assimilate quite appropriate and healthy
My daughter is an ESL teacher in one of the public high schools. She does the work of 100 established Americans to facilitate their efforts to become honorable citizens.

Now that I've headed back to the woods, I don't as I'll ever get to know a Muslim.

Jim Bow
05-28-2017, 05:04 PM
Yup, family emigrated from Pakistan when he was 6. Good guy.

Harry Miller
05-28-2017, 05:14 PM
Well my daughter is getting married to one on July 8th. He is not observant but his parents and siblings are. They are coming over from Egypt, Saudi Arabia and Dubai. I fully expect to have a good time.

CWSmith
05-28-2017, 05:36 PM
I think these posts have proven my point, but I hope to read more. They are refreshing good news.

bamamick
05-28-2017, 05:50 PM
I thought of two more: a kid who interned with me for a summer who is now an engineer with us, and a young lady we became friends with in Colorado and now lives in Austin.

I told you guys awhile back about the young man who grew up with my girls who wound becoming a fighter for Al-Shabaab. He was killed in Somalia a few years ago, and everyone crowed about how they had 'got him'. I have to tell you that's not an easy thing having seen someone eat your daughter's birthday cake and run screaming across your yard playing chase, and I will always feel sorrow for his family at them losing their son.

Mickey Lake

The Bigfella
05-28-2017, 05:52 PM
Just a few thousand at a guess, but only some dozens very well.

After my marriage separation earlier this year, I moved in with two Muslim women (mother / daughter), the elder of whom is now my girlfriend.

David G
05-28-2017, 06:05 PM
I know a few. I'm acquainted with a few more... and a few I imagine are Muslim, but we haven't really discussed it.

CWSmith
05-28-2017, 06:10 PM
I thought of two more:....

I am reminded of a half dozen or more that I went to school with. I've lost track of them, but they were good friends for several years.

BrianY
05-28-2017, 08:35 PM
A good family friend if from Lebanon. Our kids grew up together.

BrianW
05-28-2017, 09:40 PM
I don't think I have any Muslim friends. At least one co-worker, who I worked with in Brunei. He could read the signs on the highways promoting Allah. Other than that, I never would have known.

Obviously I've been around many Muslims. I've placed my life in their hands at times, or at least depended on them not to kill me. (That sounds bad, but stand outside the FOB someday, the only white person around, knowing first hand of several bombings at FOB gates, and you'll understand.)

As Ian says... "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness.

Breakaway
05-28-2017, 11:11 PM
Neighbors up the street are Turkish immigrants and Muslim. Their son is a playmate of my daughters and we are welcome in each other's homes.

Kevin

brad9798
05-29-2017, 08:29 AM
I know more than five ... less than 10 very well. Good folks, by and large.

Dave Hadfield
05-29-2017, 08:33 AM
I worked with one yesterday. It's Ramadan. He required a reduced work schedule because it was a job outside in the sun.

The Bigfella
05-29-2017, 08:57 AM
I worked with one yesterday. It's Ramadan. He required a reduced work schedule because it was a job outside in the sun.

The working hours for our staff in Dubai were reduced during Ramadan. Start later, finish earlier.

I'm just arranging a visit to Jakarta - after Ramadan

CWSmith
05-29-2017, 09:01 AM

I had a student who kept Ramadan - not even water from sun up to sun down. That's tough!

Joe (SoCal)
05-29-2017, 09:02 AM
I've known a few and have a few as friends. First one was a young guy named Yinny. I was living in Jersey City NJ. My best friend at the time was Costa (Gus) he was Greek orthodox, he hired Yinny and we all used to bounce around JC and NYC together as young men. After the first World Trade Center attack I found out that Yinny attended the Mosque of the blind cleric that masterminded the first attack. I asked Yinny all about it. He put it this way. He was a Muslim, like I was a Irish Catholic. He would go to the mosque on the high holy days and suffer through the service. He said there are observant ( Good ) Muslims and him, who smoke, drank and chase women (Him). He was confused and hurt and upset that the mosque that he attended ( only because it was close ) had been a part of this. He LOVED America, he loved his life here, he loved his diverse friends. He loved the freedom. He left the mosque and never went back. He was profoundly hurt by all this and our friendship suffered a little. He lost almost all of that innocence that we all loved about him. He used to be super funny and just loved life. After he was cautious and after 9/11 He moved and I never saw him again.

Another Alejandra was an egyptian muslim, vibrant, wicked smart, beautiful waitress I worked with during my bartender days. Her sister was married and completely observant hijab and all came into the restaurant often with her two kids and they were a lovely family. We spoke at length about what it meant to be an observant muslim.

Then coptic christians were attacked in Egypt. Two busboys Hanny ( also a friend ) and Billy ( also a friend ) were Coptic Egyptians. Because Alejandra and the two busboys were all Egyptian they she had always had an unfair advantage talking to them in the same language. When the attacks happened I saw her in the back hugging and all of them crying together.