PDA

View Full Version : Old Timey Weather Forecast (video, short, funny, nostalgic)

JimD
05-27-2017, 11:53 AM
https://www.facebook.com/radiocbc/videos/752066011631674/?hc_ref=NEWSFEED

GregH
05-27-2017, 04:53 PM
In the '50's the local CBS (or ABC?) station in Chicago had a weatherman named P.J. Hoff who used large, paper maps. He made paper cutouts of clouds, raindrops, etc. that he'd move around. Sometimes he'd put the cutouts on a string that he'd pull to "animate" the maps. School science teachers would write- you know, paper, stamps, etc - to ask for the used ones to use in their class.

skuthorp
05-27-2017, 05:05 PM
For 50+ years my grandfather collected the weather maps from the newspapers ands pasted them into school exercise books and wrote comments about the local country weather at the time. I had them for years till the weather bureau put out a call for such records and the whole lot went to them.
I have always had an interest as a result and at one stage was a local observer, taking readings from the Stevenson box and cloud observations and sending coded info through twice a day.

I might add I keep some records here still. Rainfall, temperature, wind direction and a note if it's very still or very windy.

JayInOz
05-27-2017, 06:04 PM
The weather man on our local TV station used to spend the first half of his allotted time trying to explain why what he told us would happen the night before didn't happen. Then he would tell us what happened today. And with the seconds remaining he would have a stab at what was going to happen tomorrow. And we never missed it- missing the weather forecast was a sin:) JayInOz

JimD
05-27-2017, 10:17 PM
The weatherman in the video, Percy Saltzman, I remember well as a child. He was considered to be quite the entertaining character according to the standards of the day. At the end of every report he'd face the camera, and say 'And that's...(tosses his chalk in the air and catches it)...the weather.

https://i.cbc.ca/1.2299021.1383191212!/httpImage/image.jpg_gen/derivatives/original_300/saltzman-percy-board070116.jpg

The start of his career was also a milestone in Canadian broadcasting history. When CBC-TV launched English-language broadcasting in Canada on Sept. 8, 1952, Saltzman was the first person to appear.He would spend the next 20 years at the CBC and several more at other Canadian networks.
During that time, he pioneered a number of techniques now firmly established in weather forecasting and reporting.
He was the first Canadian weatherman to use radar and satellite and the first to give road and forest fire reports. He was the weatherman who talked Toronto through Hurricane Hazel.
Saltzman, doing his trademark toss of the chalk, pioneered a number of techniques now firmly established in weather reporting, including using radar and satellite. ((CBC))

"He always explained everything so well and that's really what piqued my interest in meteorology," said CTV weatherman Dave Devall.
Three years ago, Saltzman recalled how it troubled him if the weather didn't match his predictions.
"My conscience hurt a lot and I lost a lot of sleep when I'd go home after an inadequate forecast," Saltzman said.
Born in Winnipeg in 1915, Saltzman later moved to Saskatchewan, then British Columbia, where he attended the University of British Columbia. He later studied medicine at McGill University until 1935.
In 1943, he became a meteorologist and served in that role during the Second World War in the British Commonwealth Air Training Plan.
Four years later, he helped arrange weather programs for CBC Radio. Despite his move into broadcasting, he remained as a full-time employee of the official federal weather service for 25 years.
"He kept that job at the weather office the entire time he was on television with CBC because he didn't think TV was secure. He wasn't sure that TV would last," said his grandson, CBC reporter Aaron Saltzman.
Along with weather forecasting, Saltzman became a prominent TV interviewer and commentator. He worked on a number of CBC-TV's news and public affairs programs and participated in the 10-day coverage of the first moon walk.
Saltzman estimated he did 9,000 weather TV and radio broadcasts during his career and interviewed more than 1,000 people.
In 2002, he was invested in the Order of Canada and in 2004 he became a member of the Broadcast Hall of Fame. He was also the recipient of a Queen's Golden Jubilee Medal.

Domesticated_Mr. Know It All
05-29-2017, 05:27 PM
Richard D. "Dick" Goddard (born February 24, 1931) is an American television meteorologist, author, cartoonist, and animal activist. For over five decades, he served as the evening meteorologist at WJW-TV, the Fox Broadcasting Company-affiliated television station in Cleveland, Ohio. He holds the Guinness World Record for longest career as a weather forecaster.

https://localtvwjw.files.wordpress.com/2014/10/weather.jpeg?quality=85&strip=all

Harry Miller
05-29-2017, 05:50 PM
Back about 2002 I was teaching math at Oakwood Collegiate here in Toronto. I had to take a class for a teacher who was ill and noticed a young woman with the name Saltzman. At the end of the class I did a chalk flip and asked her if she had ever seen that before. "Only on a tape of my grandfather"