PDA

View Full Version : Sea plane take off without water or wheels.

woodpile
05-26-2017, 08:55 AM
Will be more interesting to see the equivalent landing.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/7osw2jcsi6Q?rel=0

Garret
05-26-2017, 09:01 AM
Landing on that trailer would be rather difficult I'd think ;)

GregH
05-26-2017, 09:11 AM
A decade or 3 ago at the EAA convention at Oshkosh, Wi., there was an airshow act where a guy in a Piper Cub would takeoff from AND LAND on a trailer pulled by a pickup.

JamesCaird
05-26-2017, 09:19 AM
Hi Guys- In the Float Plane world this is a non-story. Normal practice. What is unusual here is all the attention with attendant vehicles. Probably a towered airport with regular traffic. The wheels to floats changeover is one where aircraft arrives at airport on wheels, is hoisted aloft by some overhead means, land gear removed and floats attached with all attendant struts and cables for water rudders, etc. Floats then lowered onto some sort of trailer or dolly and then at takeoff time whole thing is carted out to appropriate runway. At some sites the dolly assembly is not towed but has a braking system to stop the dolly once aircraft lifts off.
The reciprocal event can also be interesting. Float equipped airplanes often return to earth without wheels by landing on grass at airports, wet grass is good, a little snow even better but normal ops. Never seen anyone land back on the moving trailer but something similar is done as stunt at airshows. By the way, sometimes amphib equipped float planes (retractable wheels in floats) land mistakenly on runways with gear up. I suspect it is noisy and removes some aluminum but often not catastrophic, but certainly embarrassing. The other event, water landing with gear extended is very bad, is catastrophic, not recommended and way beyond embarrassing. Cheers/ JC

Tom Lathrop
05-26-2017, 09:51 AM
Hi Guys- In the Float Plane world this is a non-story. Normal practice. What is unusual here is all the attention with attendant vehicles. Probably a towered airport with regular traffic. The wheels to floats changeover is one where aircraft arrives at airport on wheels, is hoisted aloft by some overhead means, land gear removed and floats attached with all attendant struts and cables for water rudders, etc. Floats then lowered onto some sort of trailer or dolly and then at takeoff time whole thing is carted out to appropriate runway. At some sites the dolly assembly is not towed but has a braking system to stop the dolly once aircraft lifts off.
The reciprocal event can also be interesting. Float equipped airplanes often return to earth without wheels by landing on grass at airports, wet grass is good, a little snow even better but normal ops. Never seen anyone land back on the moving trailer but something similar is done as stunt at airshows. By the way, sometimes amphib equipped float planes (retractable wheels in floats) land mistakenly on runways with gear up. I suspect it is noisy and removes some aluminum but often not catastrophic, but certainly embarrassing. The other event, water landing with gear extended is very bad, is catastrophic, not recommended and way beyond embarrassing. Cheers/ JC

James,

I've been an unwelcome participant in a wheels up landing on Grand Bahama of a Grumman amphibian I chartered out of W.Palm Beach. The landing on a paved runway ground off quite a bit if keel but the plane was flyable after being lifted by a crane on site. The rivets were well clear of damage and hull was still waterproof. We threw in a couple of CO2 extinguishers to cool it off as soon as the pilot got out. We still flew the Grumman to more water landings before he went back to base. Don't know how he fared with his boss in W Palm though. The pilot probably forgot to turn on the landing gear alarm after a water take off in W Palm and we had no radio link to him at our field.

Dan McCosh
05-26-2017, 09:58 AM
Impressive acceleration for the pickup truck.