PDA

View Full Version : You remember those jobs at Carrier that Trump "saved"?

BrianY
05-25-2017, 09:57 AM
Well, they're going to Mexico after all. Another "win" for Donny Two Scoops :rolleyes:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/powerpost/paloma/daily-202/2017/05/25/daily-202-five-fresh-setbacks-for-republicans-who-just-can-t-catch-a-break/59262502e9b69b2fb981db8f/?utm_term=.53cf269b1664

-- Carrier, the company Trump pledged to keep on American soil, just informed the state of Indiana that it will soon begin cutting 632 workers from its Indianapolis factory. “The manufacturing jobs will move to Monterrey, Mexico, where the minimum wage is $3.90,” Daniel Paquette reports (https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2017/05/24/here-is-the-number-of-jobs-carrier-is-moving-to-mexico-after-trump-said-hed-save-them/?utm_term=.228b4554f822).

Trump told Indiana residents at a rally last year that, if he got elected, there was a “100 percent chance” he would save these jobs at the heating and air-conditioning manufacturer. "It’s not like we have an 80 percent chance of keeping them or a 95 percent chance,” he said. “100 percent!!”

After the election, Trump claimed credit for rescuing the factory. He tweeted on Thanksgiving that he called the company’s leadership to cut a deal. Trump then flew to Indy in December to announce that, thanks to his brilliant negotiating, the jobs would stay.

The Carrier announcement is a symbolically significant blow to Trump’s credibility as a job creator who can reverse the decline in manufacturing. This was both a central rationale of his candidacy and a major part of his appeal in the industrial Midwest.

oznabrag
05-25-2017, 10:41 AM
The lesson, for all the deplorable Morons who voted for that scuzbucket, the lesson the rest of us had grasped back in the 80s, is that if Donald says something you find reassuring/inspirational/motivational, he's lying to you in an attempt to manipulate you.

Run away. Run away.

John of Phoenix
05-25-2017, 01:48 PM
...a significant blow to Trump’s credibility...Not possible.

Figment
05-25-2017, 01:54 PM
King Cnut comes to mind.

John Smith
05-25-2017, 02:06 PM
Anyone tired of winning yet?

BrianW
05-25-2017, 03:15 PM
Excellent news! The thought of Trump doing anything to save American jobs is disgusting.

John of Phoenix
05-25-2017, 03:19 PM
It's that he always lies about saving jobs. Like all those coal miners.

oznabrag
05-25-2017, 03:25 PM
. . . The thought of Trump . . . is disgusting.

Finally, we agree.

skuthorp
05-25-2017, 03:26 PM
The lesson, for all the deplorable Morons who voted for that scuzbucket, the lesson the rest of us had grasped back in the 80s, is that if Donald says something you find reassuring/inspirational/motivational, he's lying to you in an attempt to manipulate you.

Run away. Run away.
Umm, Ozna, that's politics 101, the first lesson……………………… And you can substitute 'Donald' for 'a politician'.

oznabrag
05-25-2017, 03:32 PM
Jeff, I find your cynicism to be the stuff of Putin's dreams.

Does he pay you in Australian Dollars, or is it strictly Rubles?

Nicholas Scheuer
05-25-2017, 05:19 PM
If coal miners had an ounce of sense they would've moved on to other employment decades ago. The old line "my daddy was a coal miner, and my granddaddy was a coal miner, and all I ever wanted to do was be a coal miner" is something only an idiot would say.

Chris Smith porter maine
05-25-2017, 05:25 PM
Excellent news! The thought of Trump doing anything to save American jobs is disgusting.

I could pass on creating coal mining job's.

Dan McCosh
05-25-2017, 06:42 PM
As I recall, the Carrier deal included moving some production to Mexico, and retaining another section of the operation in the U.S., in exchange for a $7 million tax break. This sounds like the original deal, unless the company decided to forfeit the $7 million.

oznabrag
05-25-2017, 06:48 PM
If coal miners had an ounce of sense they would've moved on to other employment decades ago. The old line "my daddy was a coal miner, and my granddaddy was a coal miner, and all I ever wanted to do was be a coal miner" is something only an idiot would say.

Really?

What jobs?

Appalachia is demonstrably and incontrovertibly just as much the victim of US Industrial Extractive Colonialism as is any banana republic you'd care to name.

In fact, she bears no shabby likeness to her sisters down in Alabama, Georgia and Tennessee.

Any separation in the Yankee Mind that these people 'chose' this way of life is usually corroborated with reams of folklore on how to DEAL WITH poverty, rather than any sort of celebration of Lakamunni.

[redacted]

In fact, it can be, and has been, quite ably argued that the US 'adventures' from the close of the Civil War until the end of the Korean Conflict were an exercise in imperial hegemony, with the US South serving as whipping boy when things were not quite so swell as they might have been.

At least one NGO has started landing their remote-country-outreach-helicopter-hospital-thingie in rural Kentucky, because rural Kentucky, the Morons Who Keep Electing McConnell, has people dying of easily-diagnosed-and-cheaply-treated ailments, just like any other third-world spithole.

Does your concept of a 'republic' include the idea that the US Senator from Kentucky should be able to lobby for the premature, and untimely demise of a substantial component of his constituency?

Be aware, Mr. Scheuer, I understand Yankee Blindness to Regionalist Bigotry.

It may actually be one of the top three existential threats to the US of A.

Don't you think so?

Dan McCosh
05-25-2017, 06:52 PM
If coal miners had an ounce of sense they would've moved on to other employment decades ago. The old line "my daddy was a coal miner, and my granddaddy was a coal miner, and all I ever wanted to do was be a coal miner" is something only an idiot would say. I've worked at a few tough jobs, and known a few coal miners. Only an idiot would say they were dumb to take on tough, dangerous work.

Steve McMahon
05-25-2017, 07:15 PM

I don't see anyone celebrating trump failing to save American jobs. I only see people pointing out that he lied about saving American jobs at Carrier.

George Jung
05-25-2017, 08:01 PM
Excellent spin, Brian, and kudos- being the lone Republican Apologist is a thankless position.

BrianY
05-25-2017, 08:28 PM

If Donny a Two Scoops actually did something useful to save jobs, that would be praiseworthy. Instead, his efforts have amounted to little more than public relations ploys (such as this Carrier thing) and empty campaign BS.

Lew Barrett
05-26-2017, 12:30 AM
It's that he always lies about saving jobs. Like all those coal miners.

To add additional injury to injury, most of those retired miners are about to lose their health insurance.

Link (http://www.salon.com/2017/04/30/mine-wars-the-struggle-for-coal-miners-health-care-and-pension-benefits-comes-to-a-head_partner/)

Dan McCosh
05-26-2017, 09:15 AM
FWIW, the deal with Carrier was to keep one of two plants open. Trump exaggerated the number of jobs to be retained--calling it 1,100, when it was more like 700. The jobs did not move to Mexico, they were eliminated due to automation. A second operation moved to Mexico, as was the original plan. The deal with the state did include a $7 million spiff, which was to be paid back if the deal was not done as negotiated.

George Jung
05-26-2017, 11:22 AM
And?

Trump said '100% guaranteed'. Spin it how ya like.