PDA

View Full Version : Thumb surgery

John Smith
05-24-2017, 09:05 AM
My left thumb has become increasingly unreliable.

Doc has me considering replacing the joint at the base of the thumb. Says the operation itself is not bad, but recovery (back to almost normal) time is long; plan on 3 months.

Anyone here had this done or know anyone who had this done?

I uncovered my boat to check out any squirrel damage (there is none) but the thumb makes sailing out of the question. I'm thinking of having surgery in Sept.

Gerarddm
05-24-2017, 09:09 AM
My late brother-in-law was an orthopedic surgeon and did many hand operations. If you have a good doc you should be in good shape.

Ron Carter
05-24-2017, 09:13 AM
Had CMC Arthroplasty done to both of mine. 2010 and 2012. Sounds like the same thing from your description. Total recovery in both hands. There are over the counter braces which helped me do some things before surgery by supporting the thumb.

skuthorp
05-24-2017, 10:08 AM
I have much the same thing in my left, and most used, hand. I unknowingly broke a small bone in the thumb joint and it healed with an angle that means sometimes it just freezes, or dislocates. I have become used to giving it a heave which mostly fixes it.

David G
05-24-2017, 10:12 AM
Doesn't sound like fun. But, having mild arthritis in that joint, I know how aggravating it can be when your thumb don't work. Good luck!!

CWSmith
05-24-2017, 01:23 PM
I've never heard of replacing a thumb joint. I can tell you from watching my parents that knees are a hard recovery, but hips are much easier. Good luck. Work the rehab for best results.

John Smith
05-24-2017, 04:44 PM
Thanks all.

Chris Coose
05-24-2017, 05:33 PM
Had CMC Arthroplasty done to both of mine. 2010 and 2012. Sounds like the same thing from your description. Total recovery in both hands.

Me too but for the set- in of osteo arthritis, causing not loss of use so much as ungodly constant pain. So it may be a different surgery.
Again, like Ron, the initial Dr. said I'd be 90%, which is what I observe. But pre surgery I was at about 60% use.

The first surgeon undermedicated me for the initial days. Vicodin is not enough. Trust me. Scheduling on a Thursday was a mistake. The entire orthopedic office was off Friday and the answering service was prohibited from talking to me about medications. It was a brutal couple of days.
The second surgeon laid in a nerve block which lasted about 12 hours, with oxycontin and codone which I took for about 4 days.
The second Dr. also had me using it just as soon as I could. No post physical therapy necessary.

Do not be concerned about the 3 month thing. About 3 months is when you look back and realize it's all better. You can start using that hand quite quickly and compared to what you have been experiencing, it's hardly a problem.

About every day I am reminded what a good thing that was.