Steve McMahon
05-23-2017, 01:59 PM
That is one serious toy!

Figment
05-23-2017, 02:01 PM
2:25 flyin it like he stole it!

CWSmith
05-23-2017, 02:02 PM
I love the really big remote control planes!

Reynard38
05-23-2017, 02:05 PM
So I can fly that with no restrictions, but if I buy a 750 gram drone I'm subject to scrutiny?

Very cool model, of a very cool jet. Pilot really has some skills.

CK 17
05-23-2017, 02:14 PM
That slow roll near the beginning was awesome. . .what Figment said.

S/V Laura Ellen
05-23-2017, 02:41 PM
So I can fly that with no restrictions, but if I buy a 750 gram drone I'm subject to scrutiny?

please explain

amish rob
05-23-2017, 03:01 PM
Oh.
That is awesome.

Peace,
Robert

woodpile
05-23-2017, 06:00 PM
Way cool. Early in the video on a rear engine view the exhaust nozzle lights up, a light back there?, if it has an afterburner that's really impressive.

John of Phoenix
05-23-2017, 06:17 PM
That's the most realistic RC I've ever seen. I wonder how much fuel that thing carries.

I noticed he'd only did that one low level roll ! (OK heart, you can start again.)

Old Dryfoot
05-23-2017, 06:58 PM

It seems crazy on the surface doesn't it? It really tweaked me when I found this to be so, and for the reason you state. We've had R/Cs sharing the skies for the last 40 to 50 years. Also, the drones present a greater, and ever evolving ability, to avoid collisions and other user induced errors. They are just plain safer.

Other than sightings, always described as "near misses," it would seem, has there ever been an incident with either a conventional R/C or a drone?

Ditto, wicked cool model!
I love giant R/C.

Old Dryfoot
05-23-2017, 07:05 PM
This has got to hurt. . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8yf_QTbDeWM

S/V Laura Ellen
05-23-2017, 07:08 PM
In Canada model aircraft, drones and UAV are essentially the same.
The term model aircraft assumes it is being used for non commercial or research purposes.

is there any difference in how the three terms are defined by the FAA?

SKIP KILPATRICK
05-23-2017, 07:11 PM
That 104 is awesome!

I've always thought that it was one of the coolest looking fighters!

And what a great nickname!

CWSmith
05-23-2017, 07:13 PM
This has got to hurt. . .

Oh, that's bad. It was great right up to the point where . . .

Old Dryfoot
05-23-2017, 07:45 PM
In Canada model aircraft, drones and UAV are essentially the same.
The term model aircraft assumes it is being used for non commercial or research purposes.

is there any difference in how the three terms are defined by the FAA?

I think you might have some bad info. All drones and UAVs over 250g and up to 35kg are subject to regulation. There are no restrictions on R/C model aircraft, including helicopters, in Canada unless you are over 35kg take off weight. At that point they all require SFOC certifications to fly.

Old Dryfoot
05-23-2017, 07:51 PM
Oh, that's bad. It was great right up to the point where . . .

I guess the up side is, he gets to walk away.

Maybe some of the expensive bits survived too. I know I'd be combing through the wreckage.

S/V Laura Ellen
05-23-2017, 08:14 PM
Oops, I meant to say that model aircraft are not used for commercial or research purposes.
Where in the regs does it say that r/c model aircraft (fixed wing) are excluded from the Interim Order Respecting the Use of Model Aircraft?

S/V Laura Ellen
05-23-2017, 08:27 PM
Based on the following excerpt from the Interim Order:

Definitions

1 (1) The following definitions apply in this Interim Order.

model aircraft means an aircraft, the total weight of which does not exceed 35 kg (77.2 pounds), that is mechanically driven or launched into flight for recreational purposes and that is not designed to carry persons or other living creatures. (modèle réduit d’aéronef)mRegulations means the Canadian Aviation Regulations. (Règlement)

restricted airspace means airspace of fixed dimensions that is so specified in the Designated Airspace Handbook and within which the flight of an aircraft is restricted in accordance with conditions specified in that Handbook, or airspace that is restricted under section 5.1 of the Act. (espace aérien réglementé)

unmanned air vehicle means a power-driven aircraft, other than a model aircraft, that is designed to fly without a human operator on board. (véhicule aérien non habité)

visual line-of-sight or VLOS means unaided visual contact with an aircraft sufficient to be able to maintain control of the aircraft know its location, and be able to scan the airspace in which it is operating to decisively see and avoid other aircraft or objects. (visibilité directe ou VLOS)

The difference as defined above seems to say that a "Model Aircraft" is < 35 kg and used for recreational purposes.
The term "Unmanned Air Vehicle" seems to be all unmanned powered aircraft except for those used recreational purposes or that are > 35 kg.
I can not find anywhere that cites a difference between drones and fixed wing aircraft, in fact the definition of drones (or UAVs) includes fixed wing r/c aircraft.

By this, all unmanned aircraft (drones, mutirotor, fixed wing, helicopters) > 250 g and <= 35 kg used for recreational purposes are regulated by the Interim Order.
All unmanned aircraft (drones, mutirotor, fixed wing, helicopters) > 35 kg require an SFOC or a standing SFOC to operate.

Old Dryfoot
05-23-2017, 08:36 PM
Oops, I meant to say that model aircraft are not used for commercial or research purposes.
Where in the regs does it say that r/c model aircraft (fixed wing) are excluded from the Interim Order Respecting the Use of Model Aircraft?

I didn't get that straight out of the legislation, it came from MAAC, Model Aeronautics Association of Canada. It could be that the interim order includes R/C models as well, which is what I'm reading on the link you provided. Though this is the first I've seen or heard of fixed wing falling under the new regulations.
http://www.maac.ca/en/transport_canada.php

Old Dryfoot
05-23-2017, 08:37 PM
Damn I need refresh before posting. I see you've posted again.

Yup, it does seem to include all aircraft, fixed and rotary wing alike. Ridiculous.
Say goodbye to a lot of hobby stores.

S/V Laura Ellen
05-23-2017, 09:25 PM
I didn't get that straight out of the legislation, it came from MAAC, Model Aeronautics Association of Canada. It could be that the interim order includes R/C models as well, which is what I'm reading on the link you provided. Though this is the first I've seen or heard of fixed wing falling under the new regulations.
http://www.maac.ca/en/transport_canada.php

The Interim Order specifically excludes all aircraft operated at a sanctioned MAAC field or event.
That includes drones (Multi-rotor).

I asked MAAC about this and they stated that a club can be comprised of a minimum of three people. That may be the route I go since a friend has a place to fly that we should be able to get sanctioned as our club's MAAC field.

But flying for the purpose of getting good video or stills is severely limited

I asked Transport Canada for clarification about the definition of an aerodrome. The response was the same as what id in the interim order, any place a plane can take off or land at.

I asked then for a list of aerodromes so that I can comply with the 9km distance limit, the answer was they (Transport Canada) don't have a list of aerodromes.

Gerarddm
05-24-2017, 08:29 AM
The real ones killed a lot of Luftwaffe pilots.

Big RC models are always cool to me.

Reynard38
05-24-2017, 08:42 AM
I'm going to buy a drone when we move to the coast. Seems a great way to get video of ones own boat. As to the regs I'm not worried about using one in a remote area of coastline. Like of lot of rules they are pretty much unenforceable.

S/V Laura Ellen
05-24-2017, 05:16 PM
I'm going to buy a drone when we move to the coast. Seems a great way to get video of ones own boat. As to the regs I'm not worried about using one in a remote area of coastline. Like of lot of rules they are pretty much unenforceable.

You should have no problem writing the part 107.