ron ll
05-22-2017, 08:54 PM
http://komonews.com/news/local/breaking-news-crews-respond-to-fire-at-shilshoal

LeeG
05-22-2017, 08:58 PM
God that is awful.

ron ll
05-22-2017, 09:03 PM
I wonder if Pat knows or worked on these boats.

ron ll
05-22-2017, 09:05 PM
"Improperly stored staining rags."

http://www.king5.com/mb/img/resize/content.king5.com/photo/2017/05/21/ballard%20boat%20fire_1495434981672_9516623_ver1.0 .JPG?preset=534-401

Garret
05-22-2017, 09:07 PM
Major bummer. I know some here have little use for Chris Crafts - but I'm not one of 'em. Another little bit of history gone.

Please be careful with used rags folks!

ron ll
05-22-2017, 09:11 PM
Let's review; I usually soak them with water then spread them out flat to dry in the sun away from any tinder. But I always wonder if this is enough. What do others do?

Garret
05-22-2017, 09:19 PM
In a sealed metal can is acceptable according to OSHA, but my preference is much like yours - especially the outdoors & away from any buildings or boats.

Not sure soaking in water does any good - as it won't remove the volatile parts. The big think is to not have them wadded up where heat can build up.

StevenBauer
05-22-2017, 09:22 PM
I usually put them in the woodstove or fire pit.

C. Ross
05-22-2017, 09:29 PM

+1.

Garret
05-22-2017, 09:38 PM

Definitely a good solution!

Canoeyawl
05-22-2017, 09:47 PM
I spread them out flat on the driveway away from everything and hold them there with a rock until they are dried and stiff.

Gerarddm
05-22-2017, 11:12 PM
^ I do something similar to Canoeyawl.

Lew Barrett
05-22-2017, 11:18 PM
I wad 'em up and throw them in a corner.'
Ron, was that part of CSR's property? Couldn't help but see the sign in one of the photos.

pcford
05-22-2017, 11:18 PM
I had a small garbage can half full of water. It's so easy to leave a rag in the corner...

Lew Barrett
05-22-2017, 11:19 PM
It's so easy to leave a rag in the corner...

The otters preferred them there. (winky smiley). To state the obvious, boats require such awful chemicals. I threw them in a water bucket as well.

David G
05-22-2017, 11:24 PM
In a sealed metal can is acceptable according to OSHA, but my preference is much like yours - especially the outdoors & away from any buildings or boats.

Not sure soaking in water does any good - as it won't remove the volatile parts. The big think is to not have them wadded up where heat can build up.

This. The fires start from runaway oxidation. Which requires the wadded up flammable material to concentrate the fumes long enough for the chain-reaction to get started.

So - three ways to forestall. First - burn the rags immediately. I do that if it's winter and I have a fire going. Second - keep the requisite oxygen from getting to the volatiles. This could be tossing them in an OSHA-approved sealed can... or it could be total immersion in water. I never do these... because all it does is delay reverting to #1, or jumping to #3. #3 is draping the rags over a rail, garbage can, wire, pipe, etc. Anything to spread it all the way out and let air get to it. The volatiles then flash off before the chain-reaction can get started. When the rags are dry/stiff, they can go into the regular trash without danger. Or be burnt - without the minor dangers inherent to tossing solvents onto an open fire. The third route is my most common approach.

I hate to hear these stories. I've known too many fires started this way.

ron ll
05-23-2017, 12:04 AM
Ron, was that part of CSR's property? Couldn't help but see the sign in one of the photos.

i believe this was behind Salmon Bay Cafe and near Covich Williams.

Pat, do you know any the boats?

pcford
05-23-2017, 12:08 AM
Alway worried about a fire. As I did a lot of refinishing...My shop was at the corner of Ballad and 11th. There was a bookcase business there after me...Anyways, I live in Fremont...one day driving to work, I notice that there seems to be a fire in Ballard. The closer I get on Leary to my shop, the more it seems to be my shop which is on fire. !!!! It was an old wooden building which had been a livery stable. Some relief.

Yeadon
05-23-2017, 12:09 AM

Sagstad Marina, right behind the Salmon Bay Cafe. There were still mounds of fire retardant foam in the parking lot this morning.

pcford
05-23-2017, 01:10 AM
i believe this was behind Salmon Bay Cafe and near Covich Williams.

Pat, do you know any the boats?

Not offhand...did not work in that marina.

pcford
05-23-2017, 01:25 AM
Actually I don't think that is in Sagstad Marina...it's a little north of Salmon Bay Cafe...I looked at a job in that shed once, long, long ago. I don't think it was owned by any boat repair company...just rented out...