• David G
    • Dec 2003

An offensive, trashy, thread

Here's How Long Your Trash Will Hang Around After You're Dead

ttps://www.yahoo.com/news/apos-long-trash-hang-around-121838834.html

David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)
  • Keith Wilson
    Trying to be reasonable
    • Oct 1999

Re: An offensive, trashy, thread

The only one that surprises me is the disposable diaper. The others were encouragingly short. Glass bottles are just fused sand, and will be sand again long before a million years have passed.
    Last edited by Keith Wilson; 05-22-2017, 10:29 AM.
    "For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations,
    for nature cannot be fooled."

Richard Feynman

Comment

• ron ll
      Seattle WA USA (Ballard)
      • Oct 2005

I remember a couple of decades ago there was a popular myth in the sailing community (mostly racers) that an aluminum beer can torn in half and thrown into the salt water would decompose in a short time. I always doubted that so I tore one in half and hung it on a string at my dock. It stayed there for several years and every once in a while I would bring it up and you could still read the fine print on the label. It didn't even start to decompose.

Comment

• Rum_Pirate
        Banned
        • Apr 2007

The time periods are suspect.

Paper towels in 2-4 weeks. I have seen paper towels still 'decomposing' that are MUC MUCH older than that.

Nylon 30 -40 years? I have seen nylon rope and plastics that have disintegrated to powder on our beaches, I am sure that they are not 10 years old.

I have seen aluminum can that have corroded to nothing is much less than 80 years.

One has to question the testing conditions, e.g. in the open air, on a beach, buried (type of soil).

Comment

• Keith Wilson
          Trying to be reasonable
          • Oct 1999

I think it depends a lot on the environment. A piece of paper towel in the desert can last a long time; in a swamp, not so long. Leather in a dry environment can last a very, very long time. Nylon in the sun on the beach decomposes pretty fast
          "For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations,
          for nature cannot be fooled."

Richard Feynman

Comment

• L.W. Baxter
            can eat fifty eggs
            • Sep 2003

I would take it a step further: it depends entirely on the environment.

What would be useful would be a relative rating scale for biodegradability in various environments/disposal conditions.

The chart above represents less work than the typical junior high science fair project.

Comment

• Chip-skiff
              Wolves Without Borders
              • Jan 2008

They didn't include fiberglass boats.

Comment

• Peerie Maa
                Old Grey Inquisitive One
                • Oct 2008

Originally posted by Rum_Pirate
                The time periods are suspect.

Nylon 30 -40 years? I have seen nylon rope and plastics that have disintegrated to powder on our beaches.
                Which will then survive in the ecosystem for perhaps thousands of years.
                It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
                The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

Comment

• Hugh Conway
                  Banned
                  • Jan 2012

Originally posted by Keith Wilson
                  I think it depends a lot on the environment. A piece of paper towel in the desert can last a long time; in a swamp, not so long. Leather in a dry environment can last a very, very long time. Nylon in the sun on the beach decomposes pretty fast
                  glass bottles take mechanical action to degrade. Probably why I found a Root Beer bottle from the 40s at a campsite recently.

Comment

• NickW
                    Bournemouth, Dorset UK
                    • May 2009

The OP illustrates why we should recycle everything we possibly can. Aluminium and steel cans remelted into 'new', ditto glass. Plastics can be recycled into degraded forms for a variety of uses eventually ending up as garden furniture or non rot fence posts.

Solway Recycling Produces Top Quality Recycled Plastic Products made from Recycled Agricultural Plastics

Nick

Comment

Working...