PDA

View Full Version : Trump Cancels Seashore Advisory Committee

Ian McColgin
05-12-2017, 06:14 AM
[IMc - In the blizzard of other news, I missed this. The Cape Cod Seashore is remarkable in many ways, not the least of which is the breadth, diversity, and activism of our advisory board. It's a major reason the Seashore works and has lasted. We cannot help but see this as the sinister lead to a new Trump golf course in the dunes.]

Seashore’s advisory commission meetings suspended

Posted May 3, 2017 at 8:24 PM
Updated May 4, 2017 at 12:12 PM

By Mary Ann Bragg

SOUTH WELLFLEET — A volunteer board that advises the Cape Cod National Seashore superintendent learned Monday that its meetings are canceled until further notice as part of the transition to President Donald Trump’s administration.

“I have to give them the benefit of the doubt,” Seashore Advisory Commission Chairman Richard Delaney said, about the directive that came from the National Park Service and the U.S. Department of the Interior.

Seashore Superintendent George Price sent an email to the commissioners Monday canceling the May 15 meeting that was to be held at the Seashore headquarters.

The commission was told to suspend or not hold any meetings during the transition of the new administration, Delaney said.

“I’m assuming this is a National Park Service, countrywide, policy,” said Delaney, who is appointed by the Secretary of the Interior. “I’m hoping they’re not singling out the Seashore for some reason we don’t know.”

The suspension of meetings affects other commissions advising other National Park Service sites, according to John Warren, a spokesman for the agency in the Northeast Regional office in Philadelphia. Warren could not provide information about the reason for the move before the Times deadline.

There are several citizen advisory commissions across the National Park Service, but many have already been allowed to lapse, Delaney said.

“We are the oldest, and we’ve been one of the most active,” he said.

The nine-member board was authorized in 1961, when the Seashore was created, to consult with the Interior Department and the superintendent about development of the Seashore and other related matters. The members of the commission, which meets several times a year at the Seashore headquarters, represent the six towns within the park boundaries, the county, the state and the Secretary of Interior.

“There aren’t words that you can print that tell you what I think of the administration, and the way they are handling the nation’s resources,” said Provincetown representative Mary-Jo Avellar.

Avellar said she was not shocked to learn that the advisory commission would be affected by the transition to the Trump administration.

“I’m very disappointed,” she said.

Eastham’s representative to the commission, Donald Nuendel, hoped for “stability.”

“With this administration, you don’t know what kind of curveball is coming,” Nuendel said. “Everything seems out of control.”

Delaney, who lives in Orleans, said his appointment by Barack Obama’s administration runs into the fall, and that prior to that he has served for a number of governors on the advisory commission.

“The fact that the transition team is taking the time to reach down this far, to be concerned about an advisory commission, and maybe others, seems like they’re going to some extreme,” Delaney said.

Most recently, the commission stepped into a controversy between the town of Truro, the Seashore and a campground owner in North Truro who is alleged to have violated town zoning bylaws by clearing land to install utilities at camp sites. On Dec. 12, the commission recommended to Price that he allow the campground’s business permission within the Seashore, known as a “certificate of suspension of condemnation,” to lapse, which Price did at the end of the year.

The loss of the certificate does not affect the ability of the company to operate the campground but could affect its ability to obtain financing, Price said. The company’s appeal of a stop-work order issued by the town in 2016 is ongoing in Truro Town Hall.

In another public move, the commission has, since 2012, taken a stand against aspects of the operation of the Pilgrim Nuclear Power Station in Plymouth, writing letters to the U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission, Gov. Deval Patrick and Gov. Charlie Baker.

http://www.capecodtimes.com/news/20170503/seashores-advisory-commission-meetings-suspended

skuthorp
05-12-2017, 07:29 AM
I used to say "drip- drip' but now it's a waterfall of bad consequences.

CWSmith
05-12-2017, 08:24 AM
I have to agree. Trump is reaching MUCH further into the microstructure of our society than I anticipated.

S.V. Airlie
05-12-2017, 08:26 AM
I have to agree. Trump is reaching MUCH further into the microstructure of our society than I anticipated.Just wait, he's just getting warmed up!

xflow7
05-12-2017, 08:34 AM
I learned from my wife last night that there is apparently a directive from Secretary of the Interior Zinke that *all* Dept of Interior participation in advisory councils is indefinitely suspended until Secretary Zinke personally reviews and approves them.

Dave

Gerarddm
05-12-2017, 08:42 AM
You FOOLS who voted for him.

Ian McColgin
05-12-2017, 09:09 AM
It is not unusual for the Trump administration to act in ignorance of the law. I cannot find at 16 U.S. Code § 459b–7 or anywhere else authority for the Trump administration to appoint more than one member of the Advisory Commission and no authority whatsoever to remove member or suspend meetings.