PDA

View Full Version : Could Trump actually scrap the 1st Amendment?

isla
05-04-2017, 01:19 PM
We’re now past the 100 Days. And it was more or less universally agreed that, in historical terms and against expectations, it was an abysmal failure. President Trump as much as conceded this with his wild mix of angry denunciations of the 100 Days standard combined with press releases touting meaningless metrics like number of executive orders signed, number of foreign leaders talked to and similar nonsense. Set all that aside. That’s really a given. What I’m interested in now is Trump’s reaction. He failed. He gets that. But why did he fail? In the Trumpian psyche, it can’t be Trump’s personal failure or a failure of strategy. So who’s to blame?

In recent days, we’ve gotten the answer, though I have not seen it put together as such. The problem is the constitution or more generally, democracy.

Over the weekend, I noted Rience Priebus saying President Trump was considering moves to amend or even abolish the 1st Amendment to make it easier for him to sue news organizations that make him mad. This wasn’t a discussion of libel laws. What he’s thinking about requires amending the constitution. Priebus said as much.

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/edblog/failing-donald-trump-has-a-new-enemy-democracy

A number of press reports have picked up this exchange this morning between ABC’s Jonathan Karl and White House Chief of Staff Reince Priebus. But people have missed the real significance. Priebus doesn’t discuss changing ‘press laws’ or ‘libel laws’. He specifically says that the White House has considered and continues to consider amending or even abolishing the 1st Amendment because of critical press coverage of President Trump.

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/edblog/priebus-trump-considering-amending-or-abolishing-1st-amendment

Steve McMahon
05-04-2017, 01:23 PM
Is the mainstream press being unfairly critical of the current government? I ask in all seriousness, I don't generally watch any TV, especially American news.

CWSmith
05-04-2017, 01:24 PM
Trump will be out of power long before he can get a Constitutional Amendment passed.

S.V. Airlie
05-04-2017, 01:39 PM
He can hog tie it with a lot of rules but, thankfully, amendments are harder to get rid of or include.

Glen Longino
05-04-2017, 01:49 PM
Trump will be out of power long before he can get a Constitutional Amendment passed.

I agree! He's already in violation of "fair business practices" and the US Constitution.
I suspect multiple processes against him are underway behind the scenes at this moment.

S.V. Airlie
05-04-2017, 02:05 PM
I agree! He's already in violation of "fair business practices" and the US Constitution.
I suspect multiple processes against him are underway behind the scenes at this moment.I know that, you know that, intelligent people know that Glen. Republicans are a different kettle of fish, they have majorities and being obstructionists is their middle name.

BrianY
05-04-2017, 05:04 PM
Is the mainstream press being unfairly critical of the current government? I ask in all seriousness, I don't generally watch any TV, especially American news.

No.

Of course the Trumpkins will disagree.

Osborne Russell
05-04-2017, 05:07 PM
Bring it on. Blues will wake up, or not.

jack grebe
05-04-2017, 05:08 PM
Not gonna happen, but nice troll Isla.......

Gerarddm
05-04-2017, 05:10 PM
The mainstream press is correctly being critical of the current president, at least on the OpEd pages. The actual articles reveal facts, which can be spun however the reader wants. But they are still facts, inconvenient truths and all.

And no, he cannot amend nor abolish any Constitutional amendment, unless he blatantly stages a coup.

Glen Longino
05-04-2017, 05:35 PM
No.

Of course the Trumpkins will disagree.

+1...

David G
05-04-2017, 06:07 PM
No... he couldn't. He could begin the process. But the path is long, and the odds of success are vanishingly small. It takes a real ground-swell of public opinion to drive a constitutional amendment. Such does not exist for this issue. Just D.Tramp's personal pique. Poor little snowflake.

Osborne Russell
05-04-2017, 06:12 PM
Not gonna happen, but nice troll Isla.......

Not gonna happen, no thanks to your jackass President.

If Trump could do it, would he? Yes or no.

Tom Hunter
05-04-2017, 08:41 PM
Trump can't get any legislation passed. Changing the constitution is intentionally harder than making new laws.

So no, he can't

Daniel Noyes
05-04-2017, 09:15 PM
wow another thread exemplifying the paranormal paranoia and Mass Hysteria of the Left... Trumpy broke their brains.

C. Ross
05-04-2017, 09:22 PM
wow another thread exemplifying the paranormal paranoia and Mass Hysteria of the Left... Trumpy broke their brains.

Cool. So if the Administration takes steps to violate or change the First Amendment, you'll be against it. Nice.

Osborne Russell
05-05-2017, 09:00 AM

Trump certainly has you wearing his dog collar.

"The failing @nytimes has disgraced the media world," Trump said. "Gotten me wrong for two solid years. Change libel laws?"
Trump said multiple times on the campaign trail last year that he would be in favor of changes to libel laws, a dramatic escalation from his typical anti-media rhetoric.
A year ago in February, Trump said that, as president, he would "open up our libel laws so when they write purposely negative and horrible and false articles, we can sue them and win lots of money."
In late October, Trump said that America's press protections went too far and should more closely resemble British law.
"In England you have a good chance of winning. And deals are made and apologies are made," he said at the time.

http://money.cnn.com/2017/03/30/media/libel-laws-donald-trump-new-york-times/?iid=EL

Corvida
05-05-2017, 09:18 AM
I hope he does open up libel laws. Trump would be bankrupt in a week from his twitter blatherings alone. And even though he'll fail, attempting to kill the first amendment is so easy to campaign against, even a Dem might be able to do it.

isla
05-05-2017, 09:20 AM
wow another thread exemplifying the paranormal paranoia..

You got me Daniel. I didn't ask the question because I read an interview with Rience Priebus, who suggested that Trump might modify or scrap the 1st amendment in order to change the libel laws. I asked the question because I walked out onto the blasted heath, where I met three witches. We sat around a ouija board, and it told me about Trump's proposal :rolleyes: