PDA

View Full Version : How long can peel ply stay on before its becomes difficult to remove?

spirit
04-27-2017, 12:12 PM
I would like to partially finish the bottom of a flat bottomed plywood skiff (scarf, shape, glass, epoxy and peel ply), before I flip the bottom and work on the top sides. Can the peel ply stay on for months to help protect the bottom, or do large sheets become difficult to remove?

trango
04-27-2017, 12:49 PM
I left the ply on for several months. I had no major problems to remove it. A few sheets needed some negotiations but they came off soon enough. I would leave them again, although it is easier to remove immediately...

/Fredrik

Whameller
04-28-2017, 02:25 AM
More or less as long as you like.
Make sure you leave an extra several inches around the edges of the panel, so that you can get a good grip on the peel ply; if it's been on more than a week or so, it will need a really good tug to get it to start to peel off.

Dale R. Hamilton
04-28-2017, 10:10 AM
why would you leave peel ply on longer than overnight? By then it has done its job and no reason to leave it on.

trango
04-28-2017, 10:49 AM
why would you leave peel ply on longer than overnight? By then it has done its job and no reason to leave it on.

I removed it just before fairing to ensure that I had a fresh, clean surface for the filler to bond.

/F

JimConlin
04-28-2017, 09:15 PM
To keep the substrate uncontaminated.

Whameller
05-02-2017, 02:53 PM
To keep the substrate uncontaminated.

Concur with Jim and to elaborate - to protect the surface until such time as you are ready to paint/varnish/whatever it