X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • komplete
    • Apr 2017

first boat ever: The Marisol Skiff

Hi there.

now, i think im realy crazy, the only thing i have built is a little boat with starbuck´s sticks (the ones to mix the coffee) and it was really horrible

but anyway im planning to start building it now, i mean like in a week or so,

i live far far away, in the last country of america (Chile), so i must do some research to chose the glues, it´s winter here, light rain every week temperature is 32° F to 86° F, i have looooots of tools, so no problem with that. and plenty of space in my house.
    i don´t work every day (monday to friday from 08:00 AM to 13:00 pm. nice ha?) so i have a lot of time to start building, im´not very skilled, so i hope can have my 10 fingers when i finish the building.
    oh and another problem, im getting married soon, so i have to spend less money than i want to.

i´ll be happy to read your comment on this thread

ps: sorry my bad english, im not a native speaker, so if something is wrong, please tellme so i can fix it

thank you all
  • Peerie Maa
    Old Grey Inquisitive One
    • Oct 2008

Re: first boat ever: The Marisol Skiff

Hi, and welcome to the forum.

You need not worry about your English, it is better than some of the people who post in the Bilge.

She is a nice looking little boat, with some elegant details, I'm sure that folk will follow your build with interest.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

Comment

• amish rob
      Emperor For Life
      • Mar 2010

Bienvenidos y buena suerte! Voy a estar viendo.

Peace,
      Robert

Comment

• OldDominionWB
        • Nov 2016

Your English is much better than my Spanish, and I grew up in a Spanish-speaking community, so good on you.

if you have any specific questions, let us know. Thanks to climate change, we had another very strange winter here in the Mid-Atlantic, with wide shifts in temperature. I think we all have to face that challenge to some degree, so don't worry- we can get your glue problems worked out.

I'd love to know what wood you'll be using.

Comment

• komplete
          • Apr 2017

Im planning to use marine plywood (the best i tried here is the eucalyptus), Rauli wood in the mast (flexible soft wood from a tree that is up to 150 ft high and grow in mid to high wind conditions), but im still trying to find a wood i can use in the interior and in the girder, im planning to go to all the wood stores so i can choose the best

about the glues, i can´t find a good epoxi for wood, so i started to look other kind of them and i found titebond III and Sikaflex 11fc at a very reasonable price

as soon as i can fix the mess in my work area (my house park zone), im gonna post a picture of it, i has roof but no walls, so im planning to close it with plastic

i will post any other updates soon

Comment

• andrewpatrol
            • Sep 2010

Hi komplete, welcome to the wooden boat world. Somebody must sell epoxy glue where you are. Have you tried commercial building supply companies. They might have a building one or be able to get some boat stuff in. Go down to the harbour or riverside in Santiago and look for boats or boat builders down there and ask.
            good luck for your wedding.
            can you tell us your name?
            Andrew

Comment

• komplete
              • Apr 2017

My name is Carlos Yarur Spencebr />
              sadly, there are no boat builders nearby (at least no wood boat builders, just fiberglass ones), the closest one i know is like 10-12h driving. my country is realy long an thin

i live in a great place, it´s 1 hour from the beach or a lake and 30 min from the ski centers, im gonna ask some of the older sailors i know, to see if they know another wood boat builder.

is there any epoxy brand available anywhere i can ask for?

thanks you all

Comment

• andrewpatrol
                • Sep 2010

Carlos , the fibreglass guys would probably know about epoxy

Comment

• john welsford
                  • Sep 2002

Carlos, one of my plans customers lives in Santiago, he has completed his boat and had it out sailing. I think he might be able to help you find epoxy and other items.
                  I'll Personal Message you on this forum, and will put you in touch with him

I knew Gifford Jackson, very nice old gentleman and his drawings are beautiful works of art.

John Welsford
                  An expert is but a beginner with experience.

Comment

• komplete
                    • Apr 2017

Thank you!!!

i will post how it goes!!

Its very early now, so in a few hours i will contact him, by now, i should start working (doing clases in a Medicine school)

Comment

Working...