PDA

View Full Version : O'Reilly going

Ian McColgin
04-19-2017, 06:11 AM
O'Reilly appears on the way out.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/fox-is-preparing-to-cut-ties-with-bill-oreilly-1492566611

SMARTINSEN
04-19-2017, 07:47 AM
O'Rexit.

Norman Bernstein
04-19-2017, 07:51 AM
My guess: he'll shop for another cable network. My further guess: he won't be successful.

Osborne Russell
04-19-2017, 08:06 AM
My guess: he'll shop for another cable network. My further guess: he won't be successful.

Lou Dobbs got eight million to leave CNN and has worked for Fox ever since. Fox is a good place to land, not so good to leave. But it's hardly hopeless. Info Wars is busy with Alex Jones' divorce, but Breitbart would be glad to have Billo. And Breitbart ain't no rag. There's a whole wonderful world of new journalism.

Shang
04-19-2017, 08:11 AM
Would you allow O'Reilly to be alone in a room with your wife or daughter?
...or Trump?

Gerarddm
04-19-2017, 08:13 AM
Blowhards always get a venue, O'Reilly will be fine. He can always write his history books.

TomF
04-19-2017, 08:39 AM
I think that the real story is FOX's pivot responding to generational change in their potential audience. About re-branding to be the go-to channel for a younger Conservative demographic.

This is consumer-driven; it isn't FOX (or even advertisers) taking bold leadership. O'Reilley and Ailes are no more because much of the emerging dominant purchasing demographic is repulsed by behaviour that their fathers covertly admired. Sloughing off that generation to the Breitbarts is a simple business decision, now that their earning and purchasing power is diminishing. Careful investment in the RWW crazy press will hedge those losses, and retain a revenue stream during the transition.

The potential here is that FOX could emerge with aspirations to be an actual news entity, with no more propagandizing than any of the other commercial networks. It has seemed to be trending that way, at least in their reportage if not their opinion pieces. This is, paradoxically, a "win" for Liberal ideas, and evidence of their emerging ubiquity even among the Right.

Breakaway
04-19-2017, 08:40 AM
O'Reilly will be fine even if never works another day in his life.

Kevin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

BrianY
04-19-2017, 08:47 AM
Would you allow O'Reilly to be alone in a room with your wife or daughter?
...or Trump?

Yes, I would happily allow O'Reilly and Trump to be alone for a very long time in a locked room with no access to food. It would be interesting to see who survives.

Dave Lesser
04-19-2017, 08:49 AM
He has a bright future as an audiobook reader. It's over in the first 3 minutes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qo_QwNxcx5Y

TomF
04-19-2017, 08:50 AM
O'Reilly will be fine even if never works another day in his life. Financially, sure. Might qualify to question whether in other understandings of the word that he was "fine" before. :D

Paul Pless
04-19-2017, 08:53 AM
He has a bright future as an audiobook reader. It's over in the first 3 minutes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qo_QwNxcx5Y

Hot