PDA

View Full Version : Holding back the tide.

skuthorp
04-18-2017, 03:51 PM
In this world of global business, global capital, global tax avoidance and to a great extent global labour, this morning listening to an aide of Le pen I heard the term 'Economic Nationalism'. Made in France, America first, made in the UK/England, in Aus. the same call.
Can't have it both ways.

I doubt American business would be happy frankly.

Keith Wilson
04-18-2017, 04:03 PM
Another thing to distract the 95% from the fact that the very rich are getting more and more of the money.
- Its those damn furriners!
- It's those damn immigrants!
- It's those damn (insert ethnic group of your choice)
- It's those damn environmentalists!
- It's those damn regulations!
- It's that damn automation!

Anything, ANYTHING to keep people from saying, 'It's those damn rich parasites!'

Too Little Time
04-18-2017, 04:59 PM
Another thing to distract the 95% from the fact that the very rich are getting more and more of the money.
The solution proposed usually seems to involve helping the middle class - really those above the actual middle class, and ignoring the poor.

Peerie Maa
04-18-2017, 04:59 PM
In this world of global business, global capital, global tax avoidance and to a great extent global labour, this morning listening to an aide of Le pen I heard the term 'Economic Nationalism'. Made in France, America first, made in the UK/England, in Aus. the same call.
Can't have it both ways.

I doubt American business would be happy frankly.

The French are really keen on local produce. It's the only place I have seen where a fast food stall on a street corner puts up a sign identifying which farm supplied the meet in the baguettes.

skuthorp
04-18-2017, 05:01 PM
TLT I suspect that the majority of the 40% non voters may be amongst the poor. As you say they are never considered so why bother to vote.

PeterSibley
04-18-2017, 05:11 PM
TLT I suspect that the majority of the 40% non voters may be amongst the poor. As you say they are never considered so why bother to vote.

A very good point !