PDA

View Full Version : The rise of left-wing, anti-Trump fake news

McMike
04-15-2017, 06:25 AM
A BBC articticel:The rise of left-wing, anti-Trump fake news (http://www.bbc.com/news/blogs-trending-39592010).

This has got to be stopped on both sides, I believe the lies will tear this country apart, look what they've done already in leading to the election of an idiot. I want laws that prevent fake news, pisses me off. The first amendment should not protect outright BS.

Ian McColgin
04-15-2017, 06:35 AM
Absolutely. Some of the more dangerous, in my opinion, are not exactly fake news as hysterical spinning a small thing. Think Rachael Maddow on some strange paranoia inducing drug. These are far more common that flat out insane falsehoods like the pizza sex slaves. But they are more dangerous because when liberals surrender attention to facts and critical thinking, the right propaganda machine has accomplished it's secondary goal that there is no truth of any sort.

Some of the sites I see on FaceBook are obviously trolls for some profit plan or pure propaganda. Some maybe actual liberals whose brains have been rotted. It's a bit like a zombie invasion but blowing their heads off is not the solution.

skuthorp
04-15-2017, 06:41 AM
It may be that the old covenants have broken down, certainly you cannot believe anything a politician says in an interview. One of our recent PM's would give different stories to different audiences. Now money and technology and an analysis of Facebook posts can target an individual with his own personal campaign. I reckon the representative government model is on the verge of collapse. Democracy? been dead for 15 years at least.

TomF
04-15-2017, 08:07 AM
I agree 100%, Mike.

Osborne Russell
04-15-2017, 08:27 AM
A BBC articticel:The rise of left-wing, anti-Trump fake news (http://www.bbc.com/news/blogs-trending-39592010).

This has got to be stopped on both sides, I believe the lies will tear this country apart, look what they've done already in leading to the election of an idiot. I want laws that prevent fake news, pisses me off. The first amendment should not protect outright BS.

Those laws would ensure that all you would get is fake news.

McMike
04-15-2017, 08:45 AM
Those laws would ensure that all you would get is fake news.

BS. Substantiate.

We know what fake news has brought us. We know we can do better as a society in better informing the populace, to what degree is debatable but that shouldn't stop us from trying.

Gerarddm
04-15-2017, 09:00 AM
I simply don't get bent out of shape over imagined excesses any more. Regressives had taken faux outrage to new levels of art, it is disheartening to see some progressives clumsily parrot them. Complete horse hockey.

JimD
04-15-2017, 09:19 AM
Prosecuting fake news would be nice, but who's going to do it? You'd have to double the size of the FBI to investigate it all, and then there'd be the burden of proof and the grey issue of what legally constitutes 'making stuff up'. Laws might scare a few off, but it sounds like a case of much easier said than done.

Old Dryfoot
04-15-2017, 09:26 AM
^ Confine the burden of responsibility to the politicians alone. Somehow. . .

Osborne Russell
04-15-2017, 09:56 AM
BS. Substantiate.

We know what fake news has brought us. We know we can do better as a society in better informing the populace, to what degree is debatable but that shouldn't stop us from trying.

Passing laws isn't the only mode of trying to inform. It has a rather poor record in that respect. The 14th Frickin Amendment hasn't persuaded Americans of the equality of humanity, let alone the rest of the world, going on 150 years.

Substantiation:

1. People are equal, as in equally evil, potentially.
2. To get past their own evil they have to be free.
3. Part of that freedom is freedom of the press, because government possesses no magic technique to make people better than they are, and attempts to do so may be counter-productive in to various extents, but they always fail. The people must enlighten themselves or eat S and die.
4. So if you don't give up the attempt you wind up with evil people controlling the press, and fake news is all you're going to get.

oznabrag
04-15-2017, 10:15 AM
. . . The people must enlighten themselves or eat S and die.
. . .

I may have to steal that one, Mr. Russell.

:d

Ian McColgin
04-15-2017, 10:36 AM
Fake news remains far more easily monatized if aimed to the right. But the extent to which the right's moral anarchy infects liberal is a problem for democratic self-governance. We don't need everyone to be smart, thoughtful, and well informed but we need most of those who vote to be such.

And therein lies the problem.

No one's going to do it for you.

There's no magic fix where someone else will counter lies spread in public. If each of us does not actually look at what confronts us, if each of us does not actually counter the lies even in the face of obrudate ignorence, it's over.

We have people who note that their individual efforts don't solve the whole set of problems. They are right. Just as an individual soldier won't by him or herself win the battle much less the campaign or the war. Yet no one expects soldiers to give up because no one can as an individual kill all the bad guys.

So why are we so against being part of the solution required for democratic self-governance? Why do so many simply declare all odds impossible and bemoan the absence of a magic solution, a perfect law, or perhaps God's intervention? Why are so many of us so lazy and so cowardly?

Osborne Russell
04-15-2017, 10:53 AM
I may have to steal that one, Mr. Russell.

:d

Yours for the asking!

It's what the Constitution says, more or less. |:)

David G
04-15-2017, 10:56 AM
It's definitely on the rise. I've lazily allowed myself to be gulled by such sites. Am trying to be more alert these days. I agree about the hysterical headlines. Most annoying, and counter-productive when the headline so dramatically oversells some piffling minor incident. Carries a whiff of desperation (and lack of perspective).

jack grebe
04-15-2017, 11:06 AM
Ya can't blame the right for this one.............

If it were up to the far right, there wouldn't even be a press.......

Fake news is 100% liberal bullsh!t.......

Ian McColgin
04-15-2017, 11:09 AM
"If it were up to the far right, there wouldn't even be a press......." [#15]

Truly.

oznabrag
04-15-2017, 11:10 AM
Ya can't blame the right for this one.............

If it were up to the far right, there wouldn't even be a press.......

Sebastian Gorka, you ain't.

David G
04-15-2017, 11:13 AM

Can't blame the far right? Maybe not. Although the level of nefarious sophistication has reached the point where the far right is perfectly capable of carrying out FalseFlag operations designed to make the left look foolish. Or more foolish than the actual level <G>

oznabrag
04-15-2017, 11:42 AM

Can't blame the far right? Maybe not. Although the level of nefarious sophistication has reached the point where the far right is perfectly capable of carrying out FalseFlag operations designed to make the left look foolish. Or more foolish than the actual level <G>

I see your post as a non-sequitur.

Jim Mahan
04-15-2017, 11:50 AM
obrudate ignorence

I know, Ian, you have dyslexia, and or simply imperfect keyboarding, but this is a gem. No?

Reminds me of when I signed my first letter to an author from the editorial office as 'James Mahan, Ediotrial Assistant.'

David G
04-15-2017, 11:52 AM
I see your post as a non-sequitur.

I can see why. But it was actually a response to this line from that fountain of PPP -- Ya can't blame the right for this one.............

jackster
04-15-2017, 04:14 PM
"...Rachael Maddow on some strange paranoia inducing drug..." = Kellyanne Conway !:)