PDA

View Full Version : Beware of troll farms

Norman Bernstein
04-14-2017, 09:24 AM
I think a new expression ('troll farms') has entered the American lexicon.... and maybe we have a few troll farmers here? :)

FBI Director James Comey said Americans “should be aware of foreign efforts to undermine confidence in U.S. elections and mindful of the possibility that what they’re reading might be part of an organized disinformation campaign,” the AP (https://apnews.com/981fa961d82943c88e5270595c473958/FBI-director:-Public-should-know-of-agenda-driven-fake-news?utm_campaign=SocialFlow&utm_source=Twitter&utm_medium=AP_Politics) reports.

Said Comey: “The most important thing to be done is people need to be aware of the possibility that what they’re reading has been shaped by troll farms looking to push a message on Twitter to undermine our confidence.”

Ian McColgin
04-14-2017, 09:33 AM
Yeah. FaceBook is rife with them. Given my broad curiosity the FaceBook algorithm sends me lots of both right and left insanity. As studies have shown, there's a greater tendency of the right to embrace fact free conspiracy theories. Just like how when I was a teen the right claimed that the Beetles were trained in the USSR to subvert our youth. But there are all too many purportedly liberal or lefty sites that are either false flag trolls or are actual libs who have become as delusional as is the right's norm.

CWSmith
04-14-2017, 09:36 AM
It still amazes me. I suppose that places like FaceBook have enough redistribution to make it worthwhile.

McMike
04-14-2017, 10:28 AM
I can think of at least two forum members who fit the profile of paid trolls. They are no longer with us for an indeterminate amount of time and the air in the bilge is now much easier to breath.

Arizona Bay
04-14-2017, 10:31 AM
maybe we have a few troll farmers here? :)

I know we have some of the fruits... :)