PDA

View Full Version : Dynel on solid wood bottom

DougC
07-10-2002, 09:49 AM
Any thoughts on putting a dynel/epoxy layer (for abrasion resistance) on a 3/4" doug fir (vert. grain) bottom? Bottom 11' feet long,18" wide at the widest, with 4' slot for centerbaord cut down the middle. The rest of the boat is glued lap marine ply.

videoguy
07-10-2002, 05:55 PM
I have used both now I only use glass cloth the dynel is hell to work with.

paladin
07-11-2002, 07:28 AM
I would suggest Xynole fabric....and it is available from Defender Industries in the U.S.

Beowolf
07-11-2002, 07:18 PM
Would someone please explain to me the major differences between xynole and dynel? I've read their descriptions on Defender and they sound almost identical. I've also used both of them on my current (and first) project. So far, the biggest difference seems to be that xynole drinks up a whole lot more epoxy. But that could be because that was my first fabric job and I may not have squeegeed out as much as I should have on the first layer.

Thanks.

Jeff.

Bob Cleek
07-11-2002, 09:43 PM
What's all this I keep hearing about "abrasion resistance?" 3/4" doug fir is pretty tough stuff. Not much else you'd plank with that's stronger. Time was, "abrasion resistance" was provided by a sharp eye on the helm. If you need to drag the boat ashore, it ought to have sacrificial wood skids on the bottom, or a strip of half round bronze. Seems to me the only "abrasion resistance" you get out of epoxy and glass or dynel is the privilege of letting the moisture settle under the ding and rot the wood after you've run it into something. Still, if it makes you feel better, why not? The guys that make googe and dynel need to make a living, too.

Tom Lathrop
07-12-2002, 12:20 PM
Bob,

You are a constant in a fickle world. :D ;)