Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bluefin2
    • Feb 2017

How far left? $1.3 trillion in debt left

'California governments, from the city council level to the state level are over $1.3 trillion in debt – and growing'

CA Is Heading Due Left and You Are Paying For It.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/thomasdelbeccaro/2017/04/05/ca-is-heading-due-left-and-how-you-are-paying-for-it/#52c212141dce

The Democrat members of the California legislature are so far Left that Governor Moonbeam regularly vetoed dozens upon dozens of the hundreds of laws passed each year. Yes, Jerry Brown is the adult in their legislative romper room. Previously, that has meant that Brown has vetoed such laws as universal health care and once promised no tax increases without a vote of the people.

• Canoeyawl
    • Jun 2003

Re: How far left? $1.3 trillion in debt left

Say's the Tuna from Texas...

Comment

• Bob (oh, THAT Bob)
      I fix stuff.
      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Bluefin2
      'California governments, from the city council level to the state level are over $1.3 trillion in debt – and growing'

CA Is Heading Due Left and You Are Paying For It.

The Democrat members of the California legislature are so far Left that Governor Moonbeam regularly vetoed dozens upon dozens of the hundreds of laws passed each year. Yes, Jerry Brown is the adult in their legislative romper room. Previously, that has meant that Brown has vetoed such laws as universal health care and once promised no tax increases without a vote of the people.

You mean the most fiscally responsible governor in the history of the state? Who, after Prop 13, slashed spending as required? Who, after inheriting the debt crisis, cut spending and raised taxes to get the debt retired as quickly as possible? That Moonbeam? That moniker should have been retired long ago. Brown has demonstrated multiple times, his responsible behavior and commitment to the people of California. If he wasn't 78, he could have run for president and beat all of them.
      Last edited by Bob (oh, THAT Bob); 04-06-2017, 11:12 AM.
      sigpic When you can take the pebble from my hand, it will be time for you to leave.

Comment

• Joe (SoCal)
        Banned
        • Feb 2002

Texas/Gross domestic product
        1.639 trillion USD

California/Gross domestic product
        2.448 trillion USD

#Winning

Comment

• Bob (oh, THAT Bob)
          I fix stuff.
          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Joe (SoCal)
          Texas/Gross domestic product
          1.639 trillion USD

California/Gross domestic product
          2.448 trillion USD

#Winning

Not only that, CA's is more value-added, resulting in many more jobs, than just raw materials like oil.
          sigpic When you can take the pebble from my hand, it will be time for you to leave.

Comment

• Canoez
            Did I say that out loud?
            • Sep 2007

That's just because California needs to pay for all of the Federal money going to other states, like, yannow, Texas:
            "The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
            -William A. Ward

Comment

• David G
              • Dec 2003

An essay can be used to illuminate. Or it can be used to spin, deflect, confuse, and hide the light of truth.

Critical thinking is the skill we use - if we have the capabilitiy, and have taken the time, to develop it - to differentiate between the two approaches. Clearly... some do not have it.
              David G
              Harbor Woodworks
              https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Comment

• Bob (oh, THAT Bob)
                I fix stuff.
                • Feb 2007

The red states, for all their complaining about government, are net receivers of federal dollars. The blue states are net contributors. (Hawaii is a special exception, I believe, due to military infrastructure disproportionate to its size.)

Comment

• delecta
                  Banned
                  • Sep 2007

Originally posted by Bob (oh, THAT Bob)
                  If he wasn't 78, he could have run for president and beat all of them.
                  He tried, apparently didn't beat all of them.

Comment

• David W Pratt
                    • May 2005

What are the factors that go into that graph? I don't see a common thread, like redness, blueness, agrarian, urban, etc.

Comment

• bobbys
                      • Jun 2009

Originally posted by Bob (oh, THAT Bob)
                      You mean the most fiscally responsible governor in the history of the state? Who, after Prop 13, slashed spending as required? Who, after inheriting the debt crisis, cut spending and raised taxes to get the debt retired as quickly as possible? That Moonbeam? That moniker should have been retired long ago. Brown has demonstrated multiple times, his responsible behavior and commitment to the people of California. If he wasn't 78, he could have run for president and beat all of them.

And now he wants to raise gas taxes 42percent, Vehicle registration fees 141 percent, They could not fix the Oroville dam,, this is fiscal " winning" to liberals..

Comment

• Bob (oh, THAT Bob)
                        I fix stuff.
                        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by delecta
                        He tried, apparently didn't beat all of them.
                        He tried decades ago, before building the reputation he has now.

Comment

• Bob (oh, THAT Bob)
                          I fix stuff.
                          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by bobbys

And now he wants to raise gas taxes 42percent, Vehicle registration fees 141 percent, They could not fix the Oroville dam,, this is fiscal " winning" to liberals..
                          Better than amassing debt, that will kill you once interest rates go up. Over half our federal tax dollars go to just INTEREST on the debt, not even the principal.

What do you mean, they could not fix the Oroville Dam? They have only just begun repairs, they need to wait until the rainy season has stopped. Are you blaming the design or construction on Brown? Because, um, that's not his bailiwick, plus construction started in 1961. And it seems to have been constructed based on the best knowledge at the time, and has held up for 50 years. This was a record year for rain there, looks like spillway specs will need to be revised. But again, hardly Jerry Brown's fault.

From wiki:

Brown said that if he were elected to a fourth and final term, he would continue transferring power to local authorities, particularly over education and criminal justice policy, and would resist fellow Democrats' "gold rush for new programs and spending."
                          Last edited by Bob (oh, THAT Bob); 04-06-2017, 02:01 PM.

Comment

• Garret
                            Hills of Vermont
                            • Apr 2005

Originally posted by bobbys

Typical borrow & spend Rep. reaction. Don't you guys get that you have to pay your bills?

Reps seem like a 16 YO that's been given daddy's credit card & told to go have fun.
                            "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Comment

• Boater14
                              Banned
                              • Sep 2011

Mr. Mission accomplished got into two wars and refused to pay for them. Harry Truman raised taxes for Korea. Said it was immoral to have a guy fight then come home and work to pay for the bullets. Brown believes a government ought to pay its bills and the people seem to agree. You want good schools? They cost money. Not a priority in Mississippi. I love that graph. Looks like the state that started the civil war is doing just find in the Union. Hypocrites I call 'em.

Comment

Working...