PDA

View Full Version : White House Office of American Innovation.....

LeeG
03-27-2017, 01:21 PM
Run it like a business...that should be fun down on the production floor.

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/03/jared-kushner-trump-white-house-office-of-american-innovation-236529

President Donald Trump’s son-in-law and senior adviser Jared Kushner will lead a new White House office tasked with reforming the federal bureaucracy by applying lessons from the business world, Trump is expected to announce Monday.

The office, to be called the White House Office of American Innovation, will be filled with former business executives and report directly to the president, according to The Washington Post, which first reported details of the Kushner-led team.
"The government should be run like a great American company,” Kushner said in his interview with the Post. “Our hope is that we can achieve successes and efficiencies for our customers, who are the citizens.”

Norman Bernstein
03-27-2017, 01:24 PM
"The government should be run like a great American company,” Kushner said in his interview with the Post.

Too bad that government is NOT a business; you don't measure it's success by profits, you measure it by what it does for the American people.

Someone will have to tell me what makes Jared Kushner, a Trump 'mini-me' (who, like his father-in-law, was HANDED his fortune), qualified to do this, or anything like it.

LeeG
03-27-2017, 01:31 PM
Norman, I thought the whole idea of running govt like a biz was a clue the person saying it was reeling out mindless talking points. What is weird about this is repeating the same pattern of gathering experts who are not experts in the field needed. I wonder if Donald and Jared are lonely and want some business buddies to hang with.

Norman Bernstein
03-27-2017, 01:38 PM
Norman, I thought the whole idea of running govt like a biz was a clue the person saying it was reeling out mindless talking points. What it weird about this is repeating the same pattern of gathering experts who are not experts in the field needed. I wonder if Donald and Jared are lonely and want some business buddies to hang with.

It's because they drank the Kool-Aid, read Ayn Rand, and now believe themselves to be TITANS.

TomF
03-27-2017, 01:40 PM
For what it's worth, the American civil service has already, for years now, been among the many jurisdictions who've tried to incorporate management models and tools like LEAN6Sigma into how they do the work. The info's out there - quite literally billions saved already, and documented. This isn't exactly a new idea, or one which wasn't already being implemented in one means or another.

Norman Bernstein
03-27-2017, 01:48 PM
For what it's worth, the American civil service has already, for years now, been among the many jurisdictions who've tried to incorporate management models and tools like LEAN6Sigma into how they do the work.

I'm willing to bet that both Trump, and his mini-me, don't know a single thing about any of that.

Hugh Conway
03-27-2017, 01:50 PM
Middle-East peace, US-Russia relations, reforming the federal government, doesn't work Saturdays, and can take ski trips for a week.

Dude's a miracle worker.

Canoeyawl
03-27-2017, 01:58 PM
Sounds like damage control behind tightly closed doors.
We need a diversion here fellas. A huge diversion, biggly, and quickly

isla
03-27-2017, 02:29 PM
Someone will have to tell me what makes Jared Kushner, a Trump 'mini-me' (who, like his father-in-law, was HANDED his fortune), qualified to do this, or anything like it.

As ever, in the higher echelons it is not what you know, it's who you know.

Glen Longino
03-27-2017, 02:37 PM
Sorry, Jared, but I am not your customer!
You and your daddy are my servants! Got it?

John of Phoenix
03-27-2017, 02:59 PM
President Donald Trump’s son-in-law and senior adviser Jared Kushner will lead a new White House office tasked with reforming the federal bureaucracy by applying lessons from the business world, Trump is expected to announce Monday.Hmm, reform the federal bureaucracy by forming another federal bureaucracy. Let me guess who pays for all his buddy "experts".

reds REALLY got suckered with this guy.

CWSmith
03-27-2017, 03:00 PM
From what I've seen in various DC offices, it is remarkably efficient.

What business does not like is regulation. I predict no significant change, or no positive change, in efficiency while regulations are attacked on every front.

TomF
03-27-2017, 03:11 PM
For some things, citizens are customers of the civil service, though neither the citizen nor the bureaucrat recognize it. Think of a teen who wants to get a driver's license - and dream up some nightmare scenario where a self-righteous pain-in-the-butt bureaucrat makes the kid's life hell, just because they can. The bureaucrat inflicting petty power has made the kid into their customer - bring this form, sign in in triplicate in blue (not black) ink, if you mess up pay that fee a second (or third, or fourth) time, etc.

Now flip it around, because actually the teen is the customer. The bureaucrat's job is to set the kid up to succeed with the least fuss for everyone concerned.

the bureaucrat doesn't need the form, they need the accurate information was designed to collect. Sooo...

Can the form be made as simple as ordering something from Amazon? Make it intuitive, with drop-downs etc. guiding correct completion?
You really need all the nitty-gritty info and jargon? Or can you cut it by half?

The kid needs to know:

what do they need to be able to demonstrate on the test? What standard is gonna apply - so that the kid can know whether or not they're ready to book an appointment.
how do they book a test? How much does it cost - and how can you pay for it?
What do they have to know to make sure that the car they're bringing to the test is gonna be one they can use? Proof of registration and insurance? Some kind of vehicle safety inspection?

After the test - if it goes well, then what? If it goes badly, then what?

How easily can the kid get this information, so that the bureaucrats don't have to spend face-time with every teen who asks the same questions? Is the education info actually being designed well enough that you're NOT having preventable screw-ups? Or, e.g., do 20% of your test appointments end up being wasted time, because the kid didn't bring correct ID, or the car inspection was out of date? Or because in the month since the car was inspected, a headlight burned out and the rules say that it's gotta be replaced before the car can be used as a testing vehicle?

BTW, these are actual examples, of actual issues faced by our Department of Motor Vehicles. And if the face-time between bureaucrat/teen doing preventable re-work is reduced, or the rate of acceptable driver's tests on the 1st appointment improves by 15% because the kid actually knows how to tell if they're competent enough to schedule a test ... that's a cost saving to the taxpayer. That's also better customer service. That's providing value. You'd be amazed at how that approach can result in shorter wait times, less duplication, and cost reductions.

Nicholas Scheuer
03-27-2017, 03:29 PM
Tell'ya what, Trump; when I say "jump", you say "how high". Got it? That goes for your shave-tail SIL, too.

Tom Montgomery
03-27-2017, 04:44 PM
Jared Kushner is becoming the most important person in the White House. That includes the president himself:

White House Announces Jared Kushner Is Now Responsible For Everything

Donald Trump really needs to meet some new people.

By Jason Linkins (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/author/jason-linkins)

The president of the United States has a very difficult job, and in recent weeks we’ve all been given to wonder whether President Donald Trump (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/news/donald-trump/) really wants to do it. Last week, Trump’s first big legislative initiative ― the American Health Care Act ― foundered, partially due to the fact that the president abruptly stopped trying to facilitate negotiations with members of Congress. Over the latter half of Thursday (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/trump-ahca-negotiating_us_58d544ade4b02a2eaab35816), we went from House Freedom Caucus Chair Mark Meadows (R-N.C.) extolling Trump’s efforts, to Trump suddenly bailing on the effort and demanding a Friday resolution to the matter ― which all but guaranteed it wouldn’t be resolved to anyone’s satisfaction.

But over the weekend, the president’s philosophy on running the country suddenly became more clear. Trump wants to get a lot of work done, he just wants his son-in-law, Jared Kushner, (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/topic/jared-kushner) to do it.

As the Washington Post’s Ashley Parker and Philip Rucker reported on Sunday (https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/trump-taps-kushner-to-lead-a-swat-team-to-fix-government-with-business-ideas/2017/03/26/9714a8b6-1254-11e7-ada0-1489b735b3a3_story.html?utm_term=.e3846607bb4f), Kushner has been tapped to run an entirely new office with the “sweeping authority to overhaul the federal bureaucracy and fulfill key campaign promises ― such as reforming care for veterans and fighting opioid addiction.”

Okay, but let’s cast our minds back to Jan. 9, when the same newspaper reported this (https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-politics/wp/2017/01/09/tumps-son-in-law-jared-kushner-expected-to-join-white-house-as-a-senior-adviser/?utm_term=.a6457a90a5ea):

Jared Kushner, the son-in-law of President-elect Donald Trump and one of his closest confidants, will join the White House as a senior adviser to the president, Trump announced Monday, while a lawyer assisting the family said that Kushner’s wife, Ivanka Trump (https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/ivanka-trump-the-anti-donald-works-to-protect-the-billion-dollar-brand/2016/03/27/49613d2c-cb48-11e5-a7b2-5a2f824b02c9_story.html?tid=a_inl), will not immediately take on a formal role.

Kushner, who will not take a salary, is expected to have a broad portfolio that includes government operations, trade deals and Middle East policy, according to a member of Trump’s transition team. In a statement, the transition office said Kushner would work closely with White House Chief of Staff Reince Priebus and chief strategist Stephen K. Bannon to execute Trump’s agenda.

And on Feb. 10, The Washington Post reported (https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/trump-warns-israel-that-expanding-west-bank-settlements-notgood-for-peace/2017/02/10/51a39ce4-ef89-11e6-b7e8-df81bd6c4c30_story.html?utm_term=.094f37c83c76):

Trump said he wanted to explore the possibilities for making what he has called “the ultimate deal,” a peace pact between Israel and the Palestinians. He is deploying his son-in-law — and now senior adviser on the Middle East — Jared Kushner to the task.

So, if you’re keeping track, Jared Kushner, who comes to Washington with no government experience, no policy experience, no diplomatic experience, and business experience limited to his family’s real estate development firm, a brief stint as a newspaper publisher, and briefly bidding to acquire the Los Angeles Dodgers, will be working on trade, Middle East policy in general, an Israel-Palestine peace deal more specifically, reforming the Veterans Administration, and solving the opioid crisis.

Oh wait, that’s not all! Apparently, this new office will also be responsible for “modernizing the technology and data infrastructure of every federal department and agency; remodeling workforce-training programs; and developing “transformative projects” under the banner of Trump’s $1 trillion infrastructure plan, such as providing broadband internet service to every American.”

We have certainly come a long way from “I alone can fix it.”

How is Jared Kushner going to do all of these things? Simply “modernizing the technology and data infrastructure of every federal department and agency” is an enormous undertaking. In the United Kingdom, they had to create a whole new cabinet agency just to surmount that challenge (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/10/28/united-kingdom-digital-government_n_4171574.html). It would be great if Kushner would simply work on that one thing, or any one of these things. Instead, Kushner has now basically been saddled with several full-time jobs, in which he is responsible for fulfilling many, if not all, of his father-in-law’s campaign promises....

.... Oh, hey, I nearly forgot: For the time being, Kushner is going to be wrapped up (https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/03/27/us/politics/senate-jared-kushner-russia.html?referer=) in the Senate Intelligence Committee’s investigation into “ties between Trump associates and Russian officials or others linked to the Kremlin,” so that’s going to cut into a lot of these activities.

Now, the good news, if you’re Kushner, is that this latest thing he’ll be tapped to run may as well be called “the Office of Farming Out All This Work To Other People.” The Washington Post describes this agency (https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/trump-taps-kushner-to-lead-a-swat-team-to-fix-government-with-business-ideas/2017/03/26/9714a8b6-1254-11e7-ada0-1489b735b3a3_story.html?utm_term=.528c683347a3) as one that will “harvest ideas from the business world and, potentially, [privatize] some government functions.” (If you hate the VA hospital system now, just wait until it has a fiduciary responsibility to turn a profit for shareholders!)

Parker and Rucker report that this arrangement is “viewed internally as a SWAT team of strategic consultants” and is “designed to infuse fresh thinking into Washington,” which is what I thought Trump was going to do himself.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/jared-kushner-everything-czar_us_58d95499e4b02a2eaab6664f (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/jared-kushner-everything-czar_us_58d95499e4b02a2eaab6664f)

John of Phoenix
03-27-2017, 04:53 PM
We knew his campaign was a pack of lies. reds didn't care - they love being lied to - the bigger, the better.

PhaseLockedLoop
03-27-2017, 05:22 PM
Too bad that government is NOT a business; you don't measure it's success by profits, you measure it by what it does for the American people.

"Ask not what your country can do for you: ask what you can do for your country." So said the sainted Democrat.

bobbys
03-27-2017, 05:34 PM
We knew his campaign was a pack of lies. reds didn't care - they love being lied to - the bigger, the better.

The media lied to the liberal base that HC was ahead in all the polls..

In fact here every lib believed it.

You have to love karma, the libs believed the lies told to them by the other libs.

LMAO

bobbys
03-27-2017, 05:36 PM
Tell'ya what, Trump; when I say "jump", you say "how high". Got it? That goes for your shave-tail SIL, too.

President Obama after his election .......

I won.

LeeG
03-27-2017, 05:41 PM

The media lied to the liberal base that HC was ahead in all the polls..

In fact here every lib believed it.

You have to love karma, the libs believed the lies told to them by the other libs.

LMAO

A pollsters prediction is not the same as the President of the United States lying on a weekly basis. You can have one person listening to two things but that does not make them equivalent.

Osborne Russell
03-27-2017, 06:32 PM
“. . . sweeping authority to overhaul the federal bureaucracy . . . "

One month hence: "Nobody knew it was so complicated."