PDA

View Full Version : Shellback Queries

cayman
03-24-2017, 11:45 PM
Hello, I am new to this forum and and to boat building however I loooove wooden boats so am halfway through building a Shellback dinghy. I have a few queries that some persons may be able to help with.

Are the centre and aft seats epoxied to the support blocks?
I am considering placing a screwable drainage bung in the bottom, just to the aft of the centre frame below central seat, to facilitate drainage when covers are not on. I have not read of this being done before on this dinghy. Is this an ok thing to do?
I would like to place teak or similar spaced floor boards on bottom panel. I envisage two areas of this forward an aft of centre, each would consist of min thickness space longitudinal boards on same thickness cross boards. I would like these to be removable and am trying to figure out how to hold them in place without numerous screws into bottom panel. Any ideas?

Thanks
Kevin

Sailor
03-25-2017, 09:13 AM
My brother and many others have built Shellbacks. I have not so take this with a grain of salt. I have however sailed my brother's boat. I don't think you need the drain plug because it will be extra cost and labour when the boat really is light enough to simply tip up on it's side to drain any water out. As for floor boards, they look cool but they would also be additional weight and labour. The construction of the boat is such that the bottom is plenty strong to support your weight moving around in the bottom of the boat without damaging it. Floorboards as you envision are normally placed in small boats to ensure the fragile lightweight planking is not damaged by people stepping on it.