PDA

View Full Version : Devlin Noody 16 build

Drivenoutside
03-21-2017, 05:41 PM
This boat has been discussed a lot in the forum, but there has been little solid info that I can find for an actual build as I have searched and dug the forum for info and a new thread now seems the most logical starting point. I am looking at building a Noddy 16, starting in the fall. My available shop space, wife, and budget all concur 😊.

I cannot find any pictures on the forum or elsewhere online (google not helpful this time) of a finished boat or video of a Noddy 16 build and would love to see any pictures available, but especially of the cabin and door configuration - I just can't picture it in my head as described on the Devlin Site. And the study plans are a little vague as to the cuddly opening. I want a small light boat the boat to fish, explore, crab, and weekend island camp with my son in Puget sound and inland waters.

Has anyone on the forum built a Devlin Noddy or know someone that has? If there were some info you could share, I would really appreciate it. I did contact the designer directly, but haven't heard back yet.

Thank you,
Matt

Drivenoutside
03-28-2017, 12:50 AM
Bump.

Thorne
03-28-2017, 08:31 AM
Nope, but here's the link for others to peruse - https://www.devlinboat.com/2015/12/noddy-16/

Drivenoutside
03-28-2017, 10:31 AM
I have the study plans from the Devlin site and have sent them a couple of e-mails as well, but I haven't had any answer back as yet - ~2 weeks since the last, hence the reason I turned to the forum. I could spent the $100 for the entire plan set, but it would really like to have the insight of a previous builder before I shell out coin to a currently unresponsive company and go down the rabbit hole of logistics, material purchase, etc. With all of the recommendations and suggestions for people to build the boat here, I was hoping that there would be someone that had feedback and design vs. build points to discuss.

Andrew2
03-28-2017, 11:07 AM
Can't help on that specific design, but I have a full set of Devlin plans for a slightly larger boat. His plans are easy to read and the building system straight forward. To give you an idea, I marked out and cut the bulkheads and hull panels in a day. The Noddy is a pretty simple boat and his designs well thought of. I assume you have his book 'Devlin's Boat Building'? Reading that will answer any construction questions.
The door discribed in Thorne's link,doubles as a seat/table, but you don't have to build it that way.

Drivenoutside
03-30-2017, 12:15 AM
Can't help on that specific design, but I have a full set of Devlin plans for a slightly larger boat. His plans are easy to read and the building system straight forward. To give you an idea, I marked out and cut the bulkheads and hull panels in a day. The Noddy is a pretty simple boat and his designs well thought of. I assume you have his book 'Devlin's Boat Building'? Reading that will answer any construction questions.
The door discribed in Thorne's link,doubles as a seat/table, but you don't have to build it that way.

Thank you Andrew,

I have build one of his designs myself (Drift 15' for a family member) and have helped with three Devlin boats (2 sails boats and a kayak) and the plans after lofting were fine. I have a very marked up and notated copy of his book and have watched the videos again before/during each build - youtube is magic. The table that folds up to a door is my initial question on the Noody build - as it seems somewhat ambiguous on the study plans. More than anything though, I really want to have some feedback from someone who has build the boat: How the build went, boat performance, Wanted/needed changes, known issues, etc. On a not too thorough search of the forums, I have found 23 different people suggesting it as a build or solution to a problem. It is hard for me to believe that many people have suggested the boat without every actually seeing one...

I will e-mail the Devlin folks again tomorrow and see if I can get a response and have posted in a couple of other forums to see if I can dig up some answers.

Bill in Oregon
03-30-2017, 09:29 AM
Driven, I am surprised you haven't heard back from Sam. He has been very quick to respond to my questions. The Noddy looks like a very versatile boat for the Puget Sound, just as Sam designed it. I have his 16-foot Candlefish plans.

Spokaloo
03-30-2017, 10:46 PM
Call Sam on the phone, you'll either get him directly, or you'll find out that he and the new wife are back down in Mexico (they sneak down a fair amount).

Not many are built because a 16' boat with a cabin is *tiny*. Seriously, you need to have legitimate reasons to have such a small boat with a wheelhouse on it.

That said, the concept of his cabin is actually quite simple. Think of a full width thwart on any open boat, like a dory. At the top of the thwart/bulkhead, there's a piano hinge. The upper part folds down, pretty stinking basic.

It's a very small boat. Be ready for that.

E

Figment
03-31-2017, 09:35 AM
So small, in fact, that I question the notion of locating the helm off centerline.

I know everyone will point to the 13' boston whaler with offset helm but that's a very different hullform.

Absent some powerful and very specific criteria pointing you to the Noddy, Devlin's Pelicano is a much more sensible boat IMHO