PDA

View Full Version : Ivanka Trump gets White House office

Shang
03-21-2017, 04:40 AM
http://a57.foxnews.com/images.foxnews.com/content/fox-news/politics/2017/03/20/first-daughter-ivanka-trump-gets-west-wing-office/_jcr_content/par/featured_image/media-0.img.jpg/876/493/1490049425371.jpg?ve=1&tl=1
President Trump's daughter Ivanka will maintain a West Wing office, though she is not technically serving as a government employee and will not receive a salary, a senior White House official tells Fox News.

Norman Bernstein
03-21-2017, 07:40 AM
Undoubtedly, it's because of her vast knowledge of government, and her long experience in public affairs. :)

Shang
03-21-2017, 07:52 AM
I don't recall seeing Ivanka's name on the ballot.

TomF
03-21-2017, 07:53 AM
Ivanka's the actual First Lady; Melania merely holds the title. In essence Melania's the "dowager" first lady.

Shang
03-21-2017, 08:09 AM
NEPOTISM, n. Appointing your grandmother to office for the good of the party.
Ambrose Bierce, The Devil's Dictionary

Canoez
03-21-2017, 08:16 AM
Why. That is all.

TomF
03-21-2017, 08:47 AM
Why. That is all.Because the guy's a celebrity, a salesman and the public face of his brand, but he's incapable of executive management or strategic thinking - at least not without a senior executive assistant imposing significant "management" of his own issues and personality. People have said that Trump's office needs a "Jim Baker" figure - a Chief of Staff who will talk sense to the Big Guy and fiercely arrange the workflow to set up the Big Guy to do what he does best. And protect him from himself.

In business, Ivanka's been uniquely able to be the Jim Baker for Trump, both because she's smart and knows her father, and because he absolutely trusts her loyalty. She's not got any meaningful knowledge of Washington and government, but is level headed enough that she will find her own Jim Baker figure to trust, and be able to work as the liaison or intermediary.

It is nepotism, it's problematic for all kinds of reasons, and raises lots of concerns and precedents. But pragmatically it's also a good thing I think, if Trump is going to stay in the Presidency even for one term. She may be the most actually public minded of any of the Trump clan, and the only senior figure (perhaps together with her husband, who I can't read) who may be able to even partially temper the excesses her father is prone to.

Norman Bernstein
03-21-2017, 08:51 AM
Because the guy's a celebrity, a salesman and the public face of his brand, but he's incapable of executive management or strategic thinking - at least not without a senior executive assistant imposing significant "management" of his own issues and personality. People have said that Trump's office needs a "Jim Baker" figure - a Chief of Staff who will talk sense to the Big Guy and fiercely arrange the workflow to set up the Big Guy to do what he does best. And protect him from himself.

In business, Ivanka's been uniquely able to be the Jim Baker for Trump, both because she's smart and knows her father, and because he absolutely trusts her loyalty. She's not got any meaningful knowledge of Washington and government, but is level headed enough that she will find her own Jim Baker figure to trust, and be able to work as the liaison or intermediary.

It is nepotism, it's problematic for all kinds of reasons, and raises lots of concerns and precedents. But pragmatically it's also a good thing I think, if Trump is going to stay in the Presidency even for one term. She may be the most actually public minded of any of the Trump clan, and the only senior figure (perhaps together with her husband, who I can't read) who may be able to even partially temper the excesses her father is prone to.

I appreciate your assessment... but regardless, she's only one voice in Trump's head, and she has NO experience. She MIGHT be able to keep him from doing something extraordinarily stupid... but she's probably not influential enough to keep Bannon and the other alt-right types away from him.

Canoez
03-21-2017, 08:53 AM
I think my major problem is that she's not being paid by the government and is not a government employee which will allow her to skirt all sorts of rules and regulations, but we will be paying for her to be there in many ways, shapes, and forms. To whom will she be accountable?

I agree with you that Trump is a poor manager and an even worse businessman, as has been widely seen in his dealings. I agree that she's being brought in to try to rein Trump in in some way - either his rampant Twitter abuse or her relationships with others within the West Wing. There has been a power struggle going on there for several months now, and I think this is telling about that.

TomF
03-21-2017, 08:59 AM
I appreciate your assessment... but regardless, she's only one voice in Trump's head, and she has NO experience. She MIGHT be able to keep him from doing something extraordinarily stupid... but she's probably not influential enough to keep Bannon and the other alt-right types away from him.I agree. I think it's a less-negative thing that she's becoming more prominent, on balance. But however tough she's been in business life, Bannon and his lads are a different order of mean. They will gut her like a fish, and enjoy doing it.

SKIP KILPATRICK
03-21-2017, 09:03 AM
Ivanka gets the Whitehouse and Lady Liberty gets the doghouse.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/51/3e/6b/513e6b36ea256c4cd5cccb2615038899.jpg

Figment
03-21-2017, 09:04 AM
I don't have a problem with this. Anything that enhances Trump's stability is ok with me.

I also think Tom hit the nail on the head with #4

oznabrag
03-21-2017, 09:23 AM
Ivanka's the actual First Lady; Melania merely holds the title. In essence Melania's the "dowager" first lady.

Isn't Ivanka the one he had the hots for?

TomF
03-21-2017, 10:15 AM
Isn't Ivanka the one he had the hots for?Yeah. Though I suspect that the feeling wasn't mutual.

S.V. Airlie
03-21-2017, 10:19 AM
She also is privy to potentially classified material, has a security clearance etc. Shouldn't she be confirmed?

Canoeyawl
03-21-2017, 11:41 AM
Isn't Ivanka the one he had the hots for?

I can see it now...

Shang
03-21-2017, 12:25 PM
She also is privy to potentially classified material, has a security clearance etc. Shouldn't she be confirmed?

Ivanka Trump to get top security clearance and office, WH official says
http://www.cnn.com/2017/03/21/politics/ivanka-trump-west-wing/index.html

Shang
03-21-2017, 01:25 PM
Do you suppose the new office is anywhere near the Bill Clinton Cloak Room?

http://i.imgur.com/MZg8Sep.jpg

S.V. Airlie
03-21-2017, 01:28 PM
Yuck!

Chris Smith porter maine
03-21-2017, 02:08 PM
Well she is fair game now, subject to all the scrutiny and criticism of any other politician.

oznabrag
03-21-2017, 02:14 PM
Well she is fair game now, subject to all the scrutiny and criticism of any other politician.

Yup.

Ted Hoppe
03-21-2017, 02:24 PM
Lott's daughter no longer flies Jet blue.

skuthorp
03-21-2017, 03:01 PM
If she's not an employee of the State, and not being paid, is she accountable? and to whom..... only her father as far as I can see.
She has been inserted, along with Bannon, between the professional staff and Donald and it will be interesting to see how much real authority she wields with the paid personnel, not being actually in their chains of command.

Canoez
03-21-2017, 03:05 PM
If she's not an employee of the State, and not being paid, is she accountable? and to whom..... only her father as far as I can see.
She has been inserted, along with Bannon, between the professional staff and Donald and it will be interesting to see how much real authority she wields with the paid personnel, not being actually in their chains of command.

This. We should all wonder about this.

skuthorp
03-21-2017, 03:11 PM
I am a volunteer with a couple of organisations and precisely because I am not an employee I can do things when needed without the requirement of all the paperwork and regulations. If I stuff up I just don't volunteer any more.
"without the requirement of all the paperwork and regulations" is the point in question.

TomF
03-21-2017, 03:14 PM
The Clintons established precedent here, though with a spouse rather than other family members.

Part of the animus against Hillary arose exactly because of this issue. Because she was seen by many politicians and civil servants as having been parachuted into a position for which she'd not been elected, and they felt she wasn't qualified. Despite her history.

Ivanka might want to pause and consider that. Ms. Clinton had been as active and accomplished in her own professional life when Bill came to the White House as Ivanka has been in hers. If Ivanka has any aspirations to the Oval Office herself, which is not at all outside of the realm of possibility, she'll want to tread carefully.

StevenBauer
03-21-2017, 03:18 PM
I think my major problem is that she's not being paid by the government and is not a government employee which will allow her to skirt all sorts of rules and regulations, but we will be paying for her to be there in many ways, shapes, and forms. To whom will she be accountable?

This. Exactly what I'm worried about.

S.V. Airlie
03-21-2017, 03:19 PM
The only aspirations Ivanka has is putting money into nTrump Enterprises. It's conflict of interest. Yes, HC dealt with health care at the president's request, to benefit the people. Where is the conflict of interest, being married to the president. Hell Eleanor Roosevelt should be put on the gallows as well.

TomF
03-21-2017, 03:23 PM
I think that Ivanka may indeed want the desk herself, and will attempt to use her present position to establish visibility and credentials.

S.V. Airlie
03-21-2017, 03:30 PM
I think that Ivanka may indeed want the desk herself, and will attempt to use her present position to establish visibility and credentials. Goes without saying, she's got a clothes line to support and build upon. And daddy benefits as well.

The Gentleman Sawyer
03-21-2017, 04:43 PM
I think that Ivanka may indeed want the desk herself, and will attempt to use her present position to establish visibility and credentials.

Exactly. Résumé building for 2020 or 2024.

Ken

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jim Bow
03-21-2017, 04:45 PM
What was Hillary's position to which she was "parachuted" and not "elected"?
Who was the last person "elected" to that position?