X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JimD
    Senior Mumbler
    • Feb 2002

Immigration in Canada

There are two policy objectives that drive immigration: economic growth and reaffirming Canada’s international humanitarian commitments.The majority of immigrants who come to Canada are admitted based on their potential to contribute to the economy—and most of those people apply under streams that target highly skilled workers. While economic immigrants make up 58 percent of planned immigration in 2017, that number also includes family members the principal applicant is bringing along with them, who they pledge to support.

Others fall under the categories of family reunification (28 percent), refugees and protected persons (13 percent) and a small number are admitted on humanitarian and compassionate grounds (1 percent).

The top 10 countries immigrants came from in 2015:
    1. Philippines
    2. India
    3. China
    4. Iran
    5. Pakistan
    6. Syria
    7. United States
    8. France
    9. United Kingdom and colonies
    10. Nigeria
    We let in more Iranians than Americans to help keep the crime rate down
    There is no rational, logical, or physical description of how free will could exist. It therefore makes no sense to praise or condemn anyone on the grounds they are a free willed self that made one choice but could have chosen something else. There is no evidence that such a situation is possible in our Universe. Demonstrate otherwise and I will be thrilled.
  • JimD
    Senior Mumbler
    • Feb 2002

Re: Immigration in Canada

Originally posted by JimD
    ...We let in more Iranians than Americans to help keep the crime rate down
    Or maybe it's because they're better educated.
    There is no rational, logical, or physical description of how free will could exist. It therefore makes no sense to praise or condemn anyone on the grounds they are a free willed self that made one choice but could have chosen something else. There is no evidence that such a situation is possible in our Universe. Demonstrate otherwise and I will be thrilled.

Comment

• TomF
      Recalcitrant Heretic
      • Jun 2003

Re: Immigration in Canada

Either way, I've read reports that a number of Canadian firms (esp in the tech sector) are looking at Trump's chaotic approach to foreign workers and travel as an opportunity to snap up some superior talent.
      If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

Comment

Working...