PDA

View Full Version : Work Boat ID

tomtoledo
03-07-2017, 11:17 PM
https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/621/33187018761_ddef6d36b4_z.jpg

I grew up on the western end of Lake Erie, and had only seen the local commercial fishing boats built from steel until I stumbled upon this wooden one on a back road near Port Clinton, OH.
The steel versions look similar, but without the beautiful lines that a wood hull brings.
Is this a variation of a lobster boat? Or maybe it's a displaced lobster boat?
Does anyone know where I can get info on the workboats of Lake Erie?

Pelirrojo
03-08-2017, 01:03 AM
I can't help you with a specific I.D. beyond agreeing that she does look like a lobster boat hull, but perhaps try contacting the Bayfront Maritime Museum in Erie P.A. or the Erie Maritime Museum? If they cannot give a conclusive I.D. it may well be that they can point you in the right direction. Goodluck
Nicholas

nedL
03-08-2017, 07:42 AM
At first glance she does have a bit of a 'down east' lobster boat look to her, that's about as far as it goes (quick glance). When you visually separate that Great Lakes sort of whaleback off of her there are all sorts of things that say 'not a down east boat'. Things that don't fit,... not enough sweep to the shear, the transom has to much flare, she doesn't look to have any sort of a keel under her (either the built down keel , or the plank keel of of a Jonesport type).
I would suspect she was locally built to where you found her. Pretty hull.