PDA

View Full Version : Would you commute in this weather?

Stiletto
03-07-2017, 08:00 PM
www.stuff.co.nz/travel/travel-troubles/90196141/worker-haig-gilchrist-captures-rough-seas-onboard-manly-ferry-in-sydney

https://resources.stuff.co.nz/content/dam/images/1/h/p/7/w/z/image.related.StuffLandscapeSixteenByNine.620x349. 1hp7sd.png/1488933960271.jpg

CWSmith
03-07-2017, 08:03 PM
I wouldn't leave my bed at home.

ahp
03-07-2017, 08:57 PM
I looked at some of the other photos in this thread. What impressed me, and puzzeled me was what appeared to be rather mild sea conditions. Why was the ferry plunging so much? Too much mass in the ends? It appeared to be hobby horsing. Any NA's or professional seamen care to comment?

The Bigfella
03-07-2017, 09:29 PM
I've been across there in one of those ferries in "interesting" conditions. It doesn't last for long... it's only a kilometer or two before you are out of that and travelling up the harbour.

They do have an alternative.... there's a bus route that goes to the city as well, around the edges of the harbour and over a couple of bridges

doorstop
03-07-2017, 10:11 PM
I too have been on the Manly ferry in those conditions. The passengers inside were standing on the seating to keep their feet dry. It was fantastic fun and I will always remember the crew on the bridge screaming "YEEEHAAAH!"

Yeadon
03-08-2017, 12:12 AM
She looks to be bow-down as she crashes forward.

Chris249
03-08-2017, 04:45 AM
I looked at some of the other photos in this thread. What impressed me, and puzzeled me was what appeared to be rather mild sea conditions. Why was the ferry plunging so much? Too much mass in the ends? It appeared to be hobby horsing. Any NA's or professional seamen care to comment?They've never seemed to have any issues with seaworthiness as far as I've noticed. Back in the day at least one sailed out to Australia from the UK and they are pretty tough beasts.

Captain Intrepid
03-09-2017, 07:55 PM
Sure, I've sailed in much much worse. So long as there's at least sandwiches and coffee I'm happy.

Steve McMahon
03-09-2017, 08:24 PM
Yes, I often do.
(not my video, but I've been there...)

https://youtu.be/Lcm1zUNtIlk

pkrone
03-09-2017, 09:18 PM
We had a bumpy ferry ride from St. Thomas to Tortola back in January. However, there was really only a 10 minute stretch where we were exposed to the big northern swell that was going on at the time. Our 90 foot ferry was really rockin'. My wife, was ill the rest of the day, unfortunately...

Bob (oh, THAT Bob)
03-10-2017, 12:31 AM
I looked at some of the other photos in this thread. What impressed me, and puzzeled me was what appeared to be rather mild sea conditions. Why was the ferry plunging so much? Too much mass in the ends? It appeared to be hobby horsing. Any NA's or professional seamen care to comment?

I thought the exact same thing.

Peerie Maa
03-10-2017, 06:02 AM
Why was the ferry plunging so much? Too much mass in the ends? It appeared to be hobby horsing. Any NA's or professional seamen care to comment?

You get hobby horsing if the mass is concentrated amidships, creating a small moment of inertia. Not that likely with a big steel motor ship.
It might be something to do with the length of the hull and the distance between the crests of the swell.