PDA

View Full Version : Gunnels with a cap to conceal the top edge of the hull

Garagebuilder
03-07-2017, 04:28 PM
Since, to this point, I have decided to do everything else on this build the difficult way, I figured I might try to make my gunnels with an integral cap to conceal the top edge of the hull. I understand that the cap must be milled into the outwale, as the inwale houses the suppers. From my understanding, I need to leave a lip on the top of the inside edge of the outwale which is roughly 1/8" thick by 1/4" (my 3/16" hull + a layer of glass and epoxy on each side). I was wondering if it was possible for me to install my outwales first, as it would make the clamping process much easier and more precise; I fear that trying to fasten the inwale to the hull in such a way that it sits consistently 1/8" above the shear line the entire length will be very easy to make errors. if the outwale could be installed first then I could clamp the inwale to the matching height more easily. I should mention that my canoe has moderate rocker and recurve, so the bend on the gunnels will be substantial.

Thoughts?

Thank you in advance as always for sharing your knowledge and experience!

Peerie Maa
03-07-2017, 05:40 PM
Rather than fighting straight wood round tight curves with edge set, steam them and clamp them to place. It does not have to be blob on accurate. Then when cooled and taken a set they will be very much easier to accurately bend to place.

Breakaway
03-07-2017, 05:43 PM
Your best bet is probably to shoot for mounting the inwale a bit higher than you intend. Once fastened, you can use a marking gauge to mark your height above the gunwale along its length. Then bring it down to the mark with a plane.

Also, you might consider leaving the finished height of the inwale a little bit higher than the outwale. Just a bit. This tends to look better--the entire inwale-gunwale-outwale sloped outboard.

Kevin

Kevin