PDA

View Full Version : Jeff Sessions prosecuted political opponents in Alabama

isla
03-04-2017, 06:03 AM
As a prosecutor in Alabama, the man who is now Trump’s attorney general indicted political opponents in remarkably thin cases, court filings show.

Arthur Outlaw wanted a second term.

It was 1989 and Outlaw, the Republican mayor of Mobile, Alabama, was girding himself for his re-election campaign. Word was that Lambert Mims, a popular local Democrat, would run against him.

A few months later, Mims confirmed that he would be challenging Outlaw. Then Jeff Sessions made his move.

Sessions, then the US attorney for Alabama’s southern district, indicted Mims on criminal corruption charges relating to obscure four-year-old negotiations over a planned recycling plant. Mims was the ninth notable Democrat in the area to be indicted by Sessions since the young Republican was appointed by President Ronald Reagan. He would not be the last.

“Sessions was a gun for hire,” said Tom Purvis, a former sheriff of Mobile County, “and he went after political enemies.”

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/mar/04/jeff-sessions-legal-past-democrats-trump-administration

skuthorp
03-04-2017, 06:53 AM
Well if you had wondered about his qualifications for the post, wonder no more.

Ian McColgin
03-04-2017, 07:20 AM
An important part of an AG's job should be tackling political corruption. Sessions exclusively prosecuted Democrats and reading many of the cases shows that if there was corruption it was minor compared to the corruption of the FBI and AG's office. He was never a fighter against corruption regardless of party the way all recent Massachusetts AGs (and especially Bellotti and Harshbarger) prosecuted Democrats with at least equal zeal as Republicans.

Sessions has shown himself a liar under oath to the Senate. Now he wants to "amend" his confirmation testimony.

Right.

Anyone in the senate want to amend their confirmation vote?

Any citizens want to amend their November vote?

Joe (SoCal)
03-04-2017, 07:55 AM
Too bad. Too late.

Too bad. Too late.

It's never too late :)

https://www.washingtonian.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/2014-8-7-aug-9-2.jpg.optimal.jpg

SKIP KILPATRICK
03-04-2017, 07:57 AM
Too bad. Too late.

Too bad. Too late.

Looks like you may have more stones to pass. I hope you feel better soon.

Ian McColgin
03-04-2017, 07:57 AM
But not too late for Sessions to "amend" his confirmation testimony.

Whatever. I believe in moving forward and not fighting the last election. I just want to move forward with a government paid for by tax payers in US dollars, not Russian oligarchs in laundered rubles.

isla
03-04-2017, 08:12 AM
I'll wager that's never happened before.

*ROFL*

If this is true, should this man keep his job as Attorney General?

From the linked article.

Opponents concluded that Sessions used his federal prosecutor’s office, and the FBI agents who worked for him, as political weapons, according to more than half a dozen veterans of Mobile’s 1980s legal and political circles. Some alleged in court filings that the ambitious young Republican actually worked from a “hitlist” of Democratic targets.

sharpiefan
03-04-2017, 09:06 AM
But not too late for Sessions to "amend" his confirmation testimony.

Whatever. I believe in moving forward and not fighting the last election. I just want to move forward with a government paid for by tax payers in US dollars, not Russian oligarchs in laundered rubles.

A fine idea. How do we get the corporate oligarchs (of all nationalities) and their bribes --er, contributions -- out of the mix?

bamamick
03-04-2017, 09:52 AM
Alright, just wait a minute. I know a lot about this through family connections, and Mims was not some drive by thing. He was part of a cabal that ruled the city for years and years, almost all of whom went to prison and stayed awhile. Arthur Outlaw was the only one of those guys who did not go to prison, and whose name is on public buildings like the convention center, the activities center ar my old college, etc.

As far as Tom Purvis goes, his department was under investigation for murdering an 'escaped' prisoner while he was in charge, and everyone I know is pretty sure that is what happened.

Mickey Lake

oznabrag
03-04-2017, 10:36 AM
I'll wager that's never happened before.

*ROFL*

Oh, yes of course it has happened.

We patriots, however, view these corrupt, fascist machinations as anathema to the health of our beautiful Republic.

The Bannonites can admire it all they'd like. Their adulation merely makes them easier to identify.

Ian McColgin
03-04-2017, 10:44 AM
I suppose that it's possible that Sessions was AG in an environment where any list of Democrats was a list of crooks and where every Republican was pure as driven snow (snow being in short supply down there) but through the lens of one living in a "Democratic" state where Democratic AGs prosecuted corruption, both Democratic and Republican, and having grown up outside of NYC where a long lived DA also did prosecution by corruption, not by party, I find Sessions' career a great example of what's worst in political pers . . . er . . . prosecution.

David G
03-04-2017, 11:12 AM
Ideologically-induced Convenient-blindness you say?

http://static2.politico.com/dims4/default/1e1958f/2147483647/resize/1160x%3E/quality/90/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fstatic.politico.com%2F41%2Feb%2F e6dbc0ff43bbb701fdbc553d2991%2Fjack-ohman-sacramento-bee-and-tribune-media.jpg

isla
03-04-2017, 12:13 PM
Alright, just wait a minute. I know a lot about this through family connections, and Mims was not some drive by thing. He was part of a cabal that ruled the city for years and years, almost all of whom went to prison and stayed awhile. Arthur Outlaw was the only one of those guys who did not go to prison, and whose name is on public buildings like the convention center, the activities center ar my old college, etc.

As far as Tom Purvis goes, his department was under investigation for murdering an 'escaped' prisoner while he was in charge, and everyone I know is pretty sure that is what happened.

Mickey Lake

I've no reason to disbelieve you Mickey, local politics is a dirty business, but I still think Sessions was being particularly partisan in contravention of the ethics of his profession. Consider this from the linked article..

Sessions had no direct evidence that Mims had committed a crime. The recycling plant was never even built. “I’ve never seen such a flimsy, weak case as this against anybody,” Mims’s attorney said in court.
A few years later, Sessions ran to be Alabama attorney general. His old friend Outlaw, who was also a wealthy businessman, personally donated $25,000 to Sessions’s campaign. It was more than any other contributor gave.

skuthorp
03-04-2017, 03:20 PM
Well if the State's top law officer is a political appointment who depends on the party for his position the process is corrupt in it's inception.

David G
03-04-2017, 03:30 PM
Well if the State's top law officer is a political appointment who depends on the party for his position the process is susceptible to corruption in it's inception.

That may be more precise...

skuthorp
03-04-2017, 03:34 PM
come si, come sa.

David G
03-04-2017, 03:38 PM
come si, come sa.

I am willing to recognize potential. You seem to insist on speaking of inevitability. Or to put it another way... I'd accept, "... flawed from the inception".

skuthorp
03-04-2017, 04:24 PM
I am willing to recognize potential. You seem to insist on speaking of inevitability. Or to put it another way... I'd accept, "... flawed from the inception".
Fair enough, it's just that I seem far more cynical about those with political ambitions use of their position to advance that ambition. The system seems to be set up to facilitate such behaviour.

David G
03-04-2017, 07:13 PM
Fair enough, it's just that I seem far more cynical about those with political ambitions use of their position to advance that ambition. The system seems to be set up to facilitate such behaviour.

I keep explaining the dynamic with this nifty, pithy, quote. Here it is again --

"When there is an accumulation of money and power into fewer and fewer hands, people with the mentality of gangsters come to the fore. Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely" -- Lord Acton

The relevant precursor here is that first phrase: When there is an accumulation of money and power into fewer and fewer hands

When we allow the normally, necessarily, carefully curbed wolves of capitalism off-leash... when we allow the normal level of inequality to become abnormal... ALL SORTS of dysfunction results. Increasing corruption is but one example.

oznabrag
03-04-2017, 09:46 PM
Ugh.

CWSmith
03-04-2017, 09:50 PM
The Attorney General needs to be Caesar's wife - integrity beyond reproach. Sessions does not measure up and he will taint everything he touches.