PDA

View Full Version : It looks like Sessions made a little boo boo.

willmarsh3
03-01-2017, 09:38 PM
He talked to the Russians twice in 2016 and didn't reveal it during his confirmation hearing.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/sessions-spoke-twice-with-russian-ambassador-during-trumps-presidential-campaign-justice-officials-say/2017/03/01/77205eda-feac-11e6-99b4-9e613afeb09f_story.html?hpid=hp_hp-top-table-main_no-name%3Ahomepage%2Fstory&utm_term=.13839a31e0c8

This may be interesting.

McMike
03-01-2017, 09:45 PM
Interesting.

Ian McColgin
03-01-2017, 09:47 PM
He should objectively and fairly and transparently investigate himself. We can expect the same honesty as Session provided to the Senate during his confirmation.

TomF
03-01-2017, 09:49 PM
I'm sure we will hear that there is nothing to be concerned about.

Ian McColgin
03-01-2017, 09:53 PM
Sessions' "defense" that he met with the Russians as a senator, not as a campaigner, absolutely will not wash. Yes he was a senator at the time, and he was an important Trump surrogate. Even a bent attorney can't unhitch those two horses.

CWSmith
03-01-2017, 09:59 PM
Is there any Republican who isn't privately communicating with the Russians? Is this what it means to be a conservative?

SMARTINSEN
03-01-2017, 10:06 PM
Had this been a Democrat, the howling by the Republicans would have made Benghazi seem like the cooing of a happy little baby. Utterly shameless tools. Putin's Russia is a completely corrupt oligarchy, why anyone admires this is a puzzlement.

Canoeyawl
03-01-2017, 10:11 PM
The defense is this; “There’s just not strong recollection of what was said.”
(The only permissible excuse is... "I forgot")

willmarsh3
03-01-2017, 10:19 PM
I don't know at this point if this revelation tipped Congress over the edge to investigate possible Russia connections or is a consequence of said ongoing investigation.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-39136118

Steve McMahon
03-01-2017, 10:22 PM
Putin's Russia is a completely corrupt oligarchy, why anyone admires this is a puzzlement.

To your point - I was offered a job by a company in Texas a few years back. Said company is VERY republican biased. (judging by the bumper stickers and gun racks in the pick-up's in the management parking lot) The job was to do commissioning of their equipment in Russian oil fields. In one of the meetings it was discussed that I would be required to carry a roll of $100.00 bills to smooth my way onto the sites. The budget was $1000.00 per day, security guards, electrician, foreman, manager.... It was simply considered the cost of doing business. If it happens at that level I can only imaging the scale it happens at further up the food chain.

Keith Wilson
03-01-2017, 11:41 PM
Under oath? That could be serious.

Canoeyawl
03-01-2017, 11:53 PM
Seriously stupid...

wizbang 13
03-02-2017, 03:46 AM
Maybe he was smoking cannabis the day he testified.
That stuff makes you forget, and lie, and shoot heroin.
Common knowledge.

SMARTINSEN
03-02-2017, 06:33 AM
Under oath? That could be serious.

As if there will be any consequence. McConnell Is more corrupt than all of them put together.

StevenBauer
03-02-2017, 07:16 AM
And Sessions spokesperson defended him from a personal email account.

TomF
03-02-2017, 07:18 AM
Amazing how incompetent this is.

Paul Pless
03-02-2017, 07:37 AM
Had this been a Democrat, the howling by the Republicans would have made Benghazi seem like the cooing of a happy little baby. Utterly shameless tools. Putin's Russia is a completely corrupt oligarchy, why anyone admires this is a puzzlement.

as are people like bs, rod, geng if they continue to turn a blind eye to such after having been so vociferous in their support of the benghazi and email investigations into hillary. . .

Bluefin2
03-02-2017, 07:50 AM
Don't forget this one http://www.judicialwatch.org/press-room/press-releases/judicial-watch-justice-department-documents-reveal-widespread-use-fast-furious-weapons-major-mexican-drug-cartels-linked-least-69-killings/

bamamick
03-02-2017, 07:54 AM
He probably just forgot. :)

Mickey Lake

Paul Pless
03-02-2017, 07:57 AM
Talking to Russians was part of his job.Then why not disclose it?

And as part of his job, why doesn't he remember it?

Keith Wilson
03-02-2017, 08:11 AM
OK, so RodB tries to distract us by bringing up some unrelated things the previous two administrations did. A suggestion: you should have learned by the time you were seven that 'But Mom, Billy did it last week!' will not get you our of trouble for lying today.

And Donn points out that talking to the Russians sometimes and about some subjects was part of Mr. Sessions' job. Yes, it was, and he may have had perfectly legitimate reasons for dong it. Lying under oath about it was not.

On January 10, Mr. Sessions was asked by Al Franken what he would do if he learned of any evidence that anyone affiliated with the Trump campaign communicated with the Russian government in the course of the 2016 campaign. He said, “I’m not aware of any of those activities. I have been called a surrogate at a time or two in that campaign and I did not have communications with the Russians.' i.e. he identified himself correctly as a person affiliated with the campaign, and flatly denied that he had any communication with the Russians. This was false. It may have been an honest mistake, a lapse of memory, but I wouldn't bet on it.

Keith Wilson
03-02-2017, 08:28 AM
Sorry about the misspelling; fixed it.

If Bluefin2 isn't RodB, he's doing a world-class imitation. Perhaps I should go along with what I believe to be deception and call him by his current screen name.

Jim Mahan
03-02-2017, 08:30 AM
This is why this will end up being a much bigger national scandal than Watergate. Not just 45, but all his campaign 'top advisors' including Pence, Bannon, Conway, Preibus, Tillerson, and Sessions, at least. They all knew, they all helped, they all conspired, and that is enough. It might be months before the official announcement, but this is the lull.

CWSmith
03-02-2017, 08:32 AM
It may have been an honest mistake, a lapse of memory, but I wouldn't bet on it.

That is one hell of a lapse!

SMARTINSEN
03-02-2017, 08:32 AM
Why do all of these top government officials have such poor memories? Certainly not the hallmark of the brightest and best. Or just maybe he was fibbing. Again, nothing will come of it.

Norman Bernstein
03-02-2017, 08:35 AM
It's perjury, plain and simple. He was asked the question, and he denied the contacts. He lied.

There's simply no way to spin it.

Keith Wilson
03-02-2017, 08:36 AM
That is one hell of a lapse!Yes.

Bluefin2
03-02-2017, 08:42 AM
Mr. Wilson, you worry me. You often bring children up in your posts. Are you like that in your daily conversations? Weird.
I can assure you I'm not RodB. Ozna posted yesterday about living in Buda, TX which is just on the other side of Austin from where I live in Georgetown.
I was reading the quote you posted from Mr Sessions. I don't recall Mr Sessions being part of Trump's inner circle during the election process. If that's true how would he know if anyone contacted them and moreover what the conversation was. I think it's a huge stretch that anyone ask the Russians for help. Now Hillary was a different story. I have to believe ol Billy was drumming up the foreign donors to line their pockets. It's the second best thing he does. Maybe that's why Trump said no more lobbing for former Congress and admin folks.

Jimmy W
03-02-2017, 08:45 AM
Sessions "I Did Not Have Communications With The Russians"

https://youtu.be/EUbipBuuRY8

Norman Bernstein
03-02-2017, 08:45 AM
I don't recall Mr Sessions being part of Trump's inner circle during the election process.

He ADMITTED that he was, publicly.

Norman Bernstein
03-02-2017, 08:47 AM
Professor Tribe weighs in:

Constitutional law expert Laurence Tribe, when asked Wednesday on Twitter for his take on whether this constitutes perjury, responded, “Looks like it to me: it was a knowing & deliberate falsehood made under oath on a clearly pertinent matter.”

pkrone
03-02-2017, 08:54 AM
The way things are going, I see in the near future campaign slogans proclaiming, "Our liars are better than your liars!"

They're all liars that put their own self-gain ahead of those they claim to represent. Standard political procedure...

Norman Bernstein
03-02-2017, 09:00 AM
They're all liars that put their own self-gain ahead of those they claim to represent. Standard political procedure...

No, they're not ALL the same... there are varying degrees, like 50 shades of gray. The argument that 'they all lie' is usually used as a justification for accepting a liar.... as if it was 'permission'. There ARE people with integrity in public life... and certainly, people with a lot MORE integrity (even if they're not perfect), than others.

I'm not going to accept Trump's lies on the premise that every other politician is a liar. Very few meet his 'standard' for prevarication.

Now, you want to see a real liar? Try THIS guy :):)

Iowa State Sen. Mark Chelgren (R), who is pushing a controversial bill that caps the number of Democrats that state universities can hire as professors, claimed on a government web site that he got a “business degree” from the “Forbco Management school,” NBC News (http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/iowa-pol-s-bio-changed-after-sizzler-u-discrepancy-emerges-n726961?cid=sm_npd_nn_tw_ma) reports.

But Chelgren’s alleged alma mater is actually a company that operated a Sizzler steak house franchise.

Said Iowa GOP spokesman Ed Failor: “This was a management course he took when he worked for Sizzler, kind of like Hamburger University at McDonald’s. He got a certificate.”

skuthorp
03-02-2017, 09:05 AM
Unfortunately that statement is as near to a truthful one we are likely to find about politics in the future pkrone.

And so we have come to this……….

Jim Mahan
03-02-2017, 09:12 AM
Putin's Russia is a completely corrupt oligarchy...

Does it seem curious that the Jerk-in-Chief selected a double handful of billionaires for his cabinet? Putin's consolidation of power included putting his cronies from his early days in the KGB, and his billionaire pirate buddies in appointed positions in the government and simultaneously in charge of the Russian gas and oil giants, while effectively removing his political enemies and, in increments revising the Russian Federation's laws and constitution to allow him to remain in power. He, oversaw the corruption of Russian elections for both president and the Duma, their congress. He elimated elections for the leaders of the political subdivisions which equate roughly to our state governors.

It looks exactly as if trump went to a Putin class in consolidating power and subverting a democracy into a pluto-klepto-autocracy, except that Putin's efforts were, at least at his beginning, more subtle. He rode a wave of popularity following the single instance in Russian history of a peaceful democratic transition of power when Yeltsin stepped down after selecting Putin to be the next president.

trump's version is clumsy by comparison, but the game is different here, the starting point, the current state of the nation and it's economy, and the democratic heritage of free elections is not the same. The Russian culture almost begs to be led by a strong-man, while for most of America it is anathema.

SMARTINSEN
03-02-2017, 09:13 AM
"I don't recall Mr Sessions being part of Trump's inner circle during the election process."

Your memory is worse than ol' Beauregard III.

Norman Bernstein
03-02-2017, 09:38 AM
Laurence Tribe.

A liberal scholar of constitutional law.

Who cares?

Hmmm... I wasn't aware that only CONSERVATIVE scholars of constitutional law merited consideration of their opinions.

Keith Wilson
03-02-2017, 09:43 AM
Mr. Wilson, you worry me. You often bring children up in your posts. Are you like that in your daily conversations? Weird. I can assure you I'm not RodB. Ozna posted yesterday about living in Buda, TX which is just on the other side of Austin from where I live in Georgetown.

I was reading the quote you posted from Mr Sessions. I don't recall Mr Sessions being part of Trump's inner circle during the election process. If that's true how would he know if anyone contacted them and moreover what the conversation was. I think it's a huge stretch that anyone ask the Russians for help. Now Hillary was a different story. I have to believe ol Billy was drumming up the foreign donors to line their pockets. It's the second best thing he does. Maybe that's why Trump said no more lobbing for former Congress and admin folks.I used the example of a child trying to get out of trouble by pointing out other's misdeeds because it is a childish thing to do, and foolish even when one is young. Most adults have learned that one person's misdeeds (real or imagined) do not excuse the bad behavior of another . Specifically, nothing Ms. Clinton may have ever done is relevant to the discussion of whether Mr Sessions committed perjury by lying about his contacts with the Russians.

Look at the quote again. Al Franken asked Sessions what he would do if he learned that anyone affiliated with the Trump campaign communicated with the Russian government during the campaign. He said “I’m not aware of any of those activities. I have been called a surrogate at a time or two in that campaign and I did not have communications with the Russians." He did two things: identified himself as a person affiliated with the campaign - quite correctly; he was - and said specifically that he had not had any communication with Russians. This was false. Sessions met with the Russian ambassador on two separate occasions, once for quite a long time in his own office. False statements under oath are the definition of perjury.

For now, I'll take you at your word that you are not RodB sneaking back in under another screen name after being banned, although I have doubts.

Applicable law:

U.S. Code › Title 18 › Part I › Chapter 79 › § 1621

Whoever—

(1) having taken an oath before a competent tribunal, officer, or person, in any case in which a law of the United States authorizes an oath to be administered, that he will testify, declare, depose, or certify truly, or that any written testimony, declaration, deposition, or certificate by him subscribed, is true, willfully and contrary to such oath states or subscribes any material matter which he does not believe to be true; or

(2) in any declaration, certificate, verification, or statement under penalty of perjury as permitted under section 1746 of title 28, United States Code, willfully subscribes as true any material matter which he does not believe to be true;
is guilty of perjury and shall, except as otherwise expressly provided by law, be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than five years, or both. This section is applicable whether the statement or subscription is made within or without the United States.
A simple mistake or memory lapse is not perjury, but it would be kind of odd to 'forget' two meetings with the Russian ambassador when there had been a huge fuss about Russian hacking and release of stolen information to aid the Trump campaign.

Bobcat
03-02-2017, 09:52 AM
It's not the contacts with the Russians that are the problem so much as the definite statement "I did not have communications with the Russians." No hedging in that statement, no mention of not recalling any contact; it is a flat denial, under oath. It was not true.

If he was a witness at trial, you could take him to pieces in short order.

No defending this false statement.

How many years did we hear the Republicans sneer at Hillary Clinton's lie about being under sniper fire?
This is much more material and much worse.

John of Phoenix
as are people like bs, rod, geng if they continue to turn a blind eye to such after having been so vociferous in their support of the benghazi and email investigations into hillary. . .reds defending the indefensible. Kind of a short list.

oznabrag
Sorry about the misspelling; fixed it.

If Bluefin2 isn't RodB, he's doing a world-class imitation. Perhaps I should go along with what I believe to be deception and call him by his current screen name.

Seems to be all the rage among the Moron King's constituency.

Ozna posted yesterday about living in Buda, TX

This is not correct.

I was reading the quote you posted from Mr Sessions. I don't recall Mr Sessions being part of Trump's inner circle during the election process. If that's true how would he know if anyone contacted them and moreover what the conversation was. I think it's a huge stretch that anyone ask the Russians for help. Now Hillary was a different story. I have to believe ol Billy was drumming up the foreign donors to line their pockets. It's the second best thing he does. Maybe that's why Trump said no more lobbing for former Congress and admin folks.

You still believe the Clintons were 'lining their pockets'?

You'll just believe anything those treasonous bursteds tell you, won't you?

Why is that?

Oh? You say it's true? OK, then present the evidence.

No?

I FIGGERED! (©GL)

The way things are going, I see in the near future campaign slogans proclaiming, "Our liars are better than your liars!"

What a wretched display of false equivalence, sir. You Are Better Than That.

Does it seem curious that the Jerk-in-Chief selected a double handful of billionaires for his cabinet? Putin's consolidation of power included putting his cronies from his early days in the KGB, and his billionaire pirate buddies in appointed positions in the government and simultaneously in charge of the Russian gas and oil giants, while effectively removing his political enemies and, in increments revising the Russian Federation's laws and constitution to allow him to remain in power. He, oversaw the corruption of Russian elections for both president and the Duma, their congress. He elimated elections for the leaders of the political subdivisions which equate roughly to our state governors.

It looks exactly as if trump went to a Putin class in consolidating power and subverting a democracy into a pluto-klepto-autocracy, except that Putin's efforts were, at least at his beginning, more subtle. He rode a wave of popularity following the single instance in Russian history of a peaceful democratic transition of power when Yeltsin stepped down after selecting Putin to be the next president.

trump's version is clumsy by comparison, but the game is different here, the starting point, the current state of the nation and it's economy, and the democratic heritage of free elections is not the same. The Russian culture almost begs to be led by a strong-man, while for most of America it is anathema.

I think you are right about that.

DF Trump never had the popularity to pull this off, really.

He may still manage it, but the initial ooomph wasn't there.

Bobcat
03-02-2017, 09:58 AM
So the Democrats could not find the votes to keep Sessions from being confirmed, and now, three weeks into his tenure, Sessions steps into muck deep enough to have Republican senators calling for his resignation.

This administration is the gang that can't shoot straight

Norman Bernstein
03-02-2017, 10:05 AM
"I did not have communications with the Russians."

"I did not have sex with that woman."

A President got impeached for the second statement. What's the appropriate penalty for the guy who made the first statement?

John of Phoenix
03-02-2017, 10:09 AM
What's the appropriate penalty for the guy who made the first statement?Promotion to SCOTUS! red's motto - "F' up and move up."

oznabrag
03-02-2017, 10:15 AM
A President got impeached for the second statement. What's the appropriate penalty for the guy who made the first statement?

You know, Norman. You know.

My fondest hope is that they round up the top 100 of these traitors, shake 'em down to the most heinous 20, and deliver that appropriate, legally-prescribed penalty at Noon on July 4th on the National Mall.

ccmanuals
03-02-2017, 10:17 AM
Suddenly republicans are ok with lying under oath.

Canoeyawl
03-02-2017, 10:21 AM
That is one hell of a lapse!

Perhaps one hell of a stretch!

If he can't remember those meetings, it is just as likely "Beauregard" can't remember his own name. The namesake of the man who resigned as superintendent of West Point to lead the attack on Fort Sumpter, which officially began the civil war.

willmarsh3
03-02-2017, 10:22 AM

I was also thinking about Monica when I read the first quote and noticed how it sort of rhymed with a statement in the past.

TomF
03-02-2017, 10:24 AM
How about because it was so trivial he didn't take notes....not like you'd believe either his notes or memories.The sole member of the Senate Armed Services Committee to meet with the Russian Ambassador in 2016 ... and it occurs twice ... and it's too trivial to take notes or remember? When meeting with the person the American Intel community (including the Senate Armed Services Committee) has long considered Russia's top spy and spy-recruiter?

Wouldn't a foreign affairs savvy guy like a member of that Committee want to take notes, to document that the meeting with a Russian spymaster was innocent? Especially when exactly at this time, the Committee has seen and been briefed on a dossier about an ongoing investigation into Russian hacking into the Presidential election ... and there's conflict and written memos flying at that exact time between top Congressional folks (sitting with Sessions on the same Committee) and the White House about how America should respond?

In that context, Donn, you think it likely that Sessions "doesn't know" or "can't remember" a meeting with Russia's top spymaster, or what they talked about? Is Sessions too naďve to have an aide in the room, to create a paper trail, or otherwise take steps to prove that the chat was "trivial?" If he actually is that incompetent or stupid ... why the hell is he on that Senate committee? Why is he such a wondrous choice for AG?

What an incredibly silly and far-fetched bit of BS. Occam's razor doesn't cut that way, Donn, even for you.

Keith Wilson
03-02-2017, 10:26 AM
If he really forgot about two meetings with the Russian ambassador during the period when the Russians were hacking Democrats' computers and releasing stolen information to aid the campaign he was working with, and didn't check records before testifying, he is either very, very sloppy, or perhaps should be tested for dementia.

Right. It was so trivial. He forgot about it.

LeeG
03-02-2017, 10:28 AM
"It's so trivial..."

You kids get off Donn's lawn!

LeeG
03-02-2017, 10:29 AM
If he really forgot about two meetings with the Russian ambassador during the period when the Russians were hacking Democrats' computers and releasing stolen information to aid the campaign he was working with, and didn't check records before testifying, he is either very, very sloppy, or perhaps should be tested for dementia.

Seems to me one of his staff would have caught him on that and he would have corrected it if he truly did forget.

Old Dryfoot
03-02-2017, 10:32 AM
I wish you all luck in getting to the bottom of this. But the longer it takes to do that, the less likely it is that it will ever be done. If old Donny boy makes it to the six month mark, I think you might be fooked. . .

Bobcat
03-02-2017, 10:47 AM
there's more:

Sen. Patrick J. Leahy (D-Vt.) sent Sessions an additional written question: “Have you been in contact with anyone connected to any part of the Russian government about the 2016 election, either before or after election day?” The AG’s one-word answer could not have been more categorical: “No.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/sessions-spoke-twice-with-russian-ambassador-during-trumps-presidential-campaign-justice-officials-say/2017/03/01/77205eda-feac-11e6-99b4-9e613afeb09f_story.html

Jim Mahan
03-02-2017, 10:50 AM
But the longer it takes to do that, the less likely it is that it will ever be done.

I would be inclined to agree, except that for that to be true, it would have to just lie there like a turd on the lawn while other important crap gets the news coverage—and if an official investigation hadn't already begun. Remember the seventeen U.S. intelligence agencies concurring about the Russian connection to the election? As Norman said in the title of another thread, it isn't going away, even if it looks like not a lot is happening while the months tick by.

LeeG
03-02-2017, 10:57 AM
Maybe they were trading recipes. The meeting may or may not have been about the Trump campaign or a Trump presidency but it does seem odd that if the ambassadors only contact with a committee member was Sessions and those kind of contacts are rare he would have a record if not memory of it.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/sessions-spoke-twice-with-russian-ambassador-during-trumps-presidential-campaign-justice-officials-say/2017/03/01/77205eda-feac-11e6-99b4-9e613afeb09f_story.html?utm_term=.ce46d7e60ad9

The Washington Post contacted all 26 members of the 2016 Senate Armed Services Committee to see whether any lawmakers besides Sessions met with Kislyak in 2016. Of the 20 lawmakers who responded, every senator, including Chairman John McCain (R-Ariz.), said they did not meet with the Russian ambassador last year. The other lawmakers on the panel did not respond as of Wednesday evening.

Michael McFaul, a Stanford University professor who until 2014 served as U.S. ambassador to Russia, said he was not surprised that Kislyak would seek a meeting with Sessions. “The weird part is to conceal it,” he said. “That was at the height of all the discussions of what Russia was doing during the election.”

Keith Wilson
03-02-2017, 11:06 AM
There's more: Sen. Patrick J. Leahy (D-Vt.) sent Sessions an additional written question: “Have you been in contact with anyone connected to any part of the Russian government about the 2016 election, either before or after election day?” The AG’s one-word answer could not have been more categorical: “No.”Which may or may not be true; we don't know what the conversations were about. To be fair, there's a lot other than the election that they could have plausibly discussed. His answer to Al Franken, OTOH, was obviously false.

I'm as sure as I am of anything that the staff of a Senator on the foreign relations committee keeps records of meetings with ambassadors of major countries.

isla
03-02-2017, 11:06 AM
The Justice Department confirmed Wednesday that Sessions twice had contact last year with Ambassador Sergey Kislyak. Sessions testified during his Senate confirmation hearing Jan. 10 that he had no contacts with Russian officials.

A White House official who asked not to be identified on Thursday said Sessions met with the ambassador in his official capacity as a member of the Senate Armed Services Committee.
https://www.bloomberg.com/politics/articles/2017-03-02/sessions-spoke-with-russian-envoy-during-trump-s-2016-campaign

So if Sessions met twice with Ambassador Kislyak on official government business, surely this would be a matter of record. It would be officially documented and any agreements, decisions or arrangements for future consideration would be recorded. Otherwise what is the point of the meetings?

Ambassador Kislyak: Hey Jeff, you know that thing we talked about last year?
Jeff Sessions: What thing?
Ambassador Kislyak: You know, our agreement for collaboration on XYZ..
Jeff Sessions: Nope, I don't have clue what you're talking about.
Ambassador Kislyak: What, you didn't take notes?

etc.

On the other hand, if the meetings were unofficial and off the record, then Sessions is in deep doo doo.

Keith Wilson
03-02-2017, 11:10 AM
I have a prediction: by the end of March, Mr. Sessions will no longer be Attorney General.

Bobcat
03-02-2017, 11:12 AM
"..about the 2016 election.."

You're right: not as clearly false as this exchange:

At his Jan. 10 Judiciary Committee confirmation hearing (https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/senate-confirms-jeff-sessions-as-attorney-general/2017/02/08/051d58f6-ed72-11e6-9973-c5efb7ccfb0d_story.html?utm_term=.a0d2e99b604e), Sessions was asked by Sen. Al Franken (D-Minn.) what he would do if he learned of any evidence that anyone affiliated with the Trump campaign communicated with the Russian government in the course of the 2016 campaign.
“I’m not aware of any of those activities,” he responded. He added: “I have been called a surrogate at a time or two in that campaign and I did not have communications with the Russians.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/sessions-spoke-twice-with-russian-ambassador-during-trumps-presidential-campaign-justice-officials-say/2017/03/01/77205eda-feac-11e6-99b4-9e613afeb09f_story.html

ccmanuals
03-02-2017, 11:21 AM
The general perjury statute under Federal law classifies perjury as a felony and provides for a prison sentence of up to five years.

Joe (SoCal)
03-02-2017, 12:02 PM
I have a prediction: by the end of March, Mr. Sessions will no longer be Attorney General.

In like a Lion, out like a lamb ........ to slaughter :)

Paul Pless
03-02-2017, 12:23 PM
And no longer a senator. . .

bummer

LeeG
03-02-2017, 12:40 PM
Nearly $100 million was spent hunting down the Clintons between Whitewater and Benghazi from which they got one perjury statement about a blowjob.

Here we have a POTUS who lies nonstop, has long ties to Russian oligarchs who have invested in Trump properties, had a campaign manager with Russian ties, his opposition was hacked by the Russians, which he denied, and his AG pick clearly lied about having contacts with Russian officials. No investigation needed for this. See how economical Trump is?

David G
03-02-2017, 12:52 PM
The sole member of the Senate Armed Services Committee to meet with the Russian Ambassador in 2016 ... and it occurs twice ... and it's too trivial to take notes or remember? When meeting with the person the American Intel community (including the Senate Armed Services Committee) has long considered Russia's top spy and spy-recruiter?

Wouldn't a foreign affairs savvy guy like a member of that Committee want to take notes, to document that the meeting with a Russian spymaster was innocent? Especially when exactly at this time, the Committee has seen and been briefed on a dossier about an ongoing investigation into Russian hacking into the Presidential election ... and there's conflict and written memos flying at that exact time between top Congressional folks (sitting with Sessions on the same Committee) and the White House about how America should respond?

In that context, Donn, you think it likely that Sessions "doesn't know" or "can't remember" a meeting with Russia's top spymaster, or what they talked about? Is Sessions too naďve to have an aide in the room, to create a paper trail, or otherwise take steps to prove that the chat was "trivial?" If he actually is that incompetent or stupid ... why the hell is he on that Senate committee? Why is he such a wondrous choice for AG?

What an incredibly silly and far-fetched bit of BS. Occam's razor doesn't cut that way, Donn, even for you.

Some folks are simply very accomplished at what they do. In this instance, we have a marvelously talented apologist... and a contortionist. All done up in an impressively snark-encrusted, though sloppily wrapped package. It don't get any better than this... in this particular specialty.

switters
03-02-2017, 02:11 PM
He should have just said they were talking about golf and grand children, then he could have just walked away from it.

Norman Bernstein
03-02-2017, 02:12 PM
He should have just said they were talking about golf and grand children, then he could have just walked away from it.

There's a small difference. The folks you are referring to didn't deny, UNDER OATH, that they had contact.

isla
03-02-2017, 02:19 PM

More to the point, he should have said "Well I did meet with Russian Ambassador Kislyak a couple of times on official Senate business, but that is a matter of record". Assuming it was official business and is on the record :rolleyes:

Bluefin2
03-02-2017, 02:26 PM
http://2coolfishing.com/ttmbforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=3528393&stc=1&d=1488402453

skuthorp
03-02-2017, 02:27 PM
Well I'm sure the Russian Ambassador has a record, maybe even a recording of the meeting(s). In time it will become advantageous for him to make Sessions aware of them and the possibility they MIGHT become public. Unless of course certain things happen, or don't happen.

TomF
03-02-2017, 02:28 PM
More to the point, he should have said "Well I did meet with Russian Ambassador Kislyak a couple of times on official Senate business, but that is a matter of record". Assuming it was official business and is on the record :rolleyes:'Zactly.

pkrone
03-02-2017, 02:56 PM
Nearly $100 million was spent hunting down the Clintons between Whitewater and Benghazi from which they got one perjury statement about a blowjob.

Here we have a POTUS who lies nonstop, has long ties to Russian oligarchs who have invested in Trump properties, had a campaign manager with Russian ties, his opposition was hacked by the Russians, which he denied, and his AG pick clearly lied about having contacts with Russian officials. No investigation needed for this. See how economical Trump is?

Our liars are better than your liars...

Keith Wilson
03-02-2017, 03:07 PM
Our liars are better than your liars...While every politician is a human being, and some of them have the vices of human beings, the idea that 'they're all crooks' is first objectively wrong; they're not all crooks and liars. None of them are perfect, neither am I, neither are you, but some are a hell of a lot better than others. Second, it's very, very destructive to the very idea of good government. Assuming that politicians are going to be worse than the average of the population is not only wrong, in a democracy it tends to be self-fulfilling. Cynicism is cheap, facile, and dangerous.

skuthorp
03-02-2017, 03:12 PM
But Keith, they just keep on proving the conjecture correct.....................

eg: http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthread.php?220354-quot-we-ll-have-to-pass-the-bill-in-order-to-read-it-quot

Press conference coming soon evidently.........

johnw
03-02-2017, 03:37 PM

Clinton was also disbarred for that perjury. Can we have an Attorney General who's been disbarred?

willmarsh3
03-02-2017, 04:15 PM
Sessions recuses himself from the Russian investigation.

John of Phoenix
03-02-2017, 04:19 PM
"Sessions recuses himself from the Russian investigation" while denying that he did anything wrong... like perjury.

johnw
03-02-2017, 04:25 PM
Let's be as accurate as we can be until we see the transcript of the recusal.

Sessions said he's recused himself from any investigations regarding Russia AND the Trump campaign.

Good for him.

skuthorp
03-02-2017, 04:34 PM
I was amused by his 'disclaimer para' at the end.

Canoez
03-02-2017, 04:36 PM
Let's be as accurate as we can be until we see the transcript of the recusal.

Sessions said he's recused himself from any investigations regarding Russia AND the Trump campaign.

Well, the only statement that I've heard is a recusal from investigation regarding the campaign, not any other investigations. Got something new to support that last line?

TomF
03-02-2017, 05:06 PM
Here (http://attorney-general-sessions-statement-recusal).
Department of Justice
Office of Public Affairs
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Thursday, March 2, 2017

Attorney General Sessions Statement on Recusal

AttorneyGeneral Jeff Sessions today issued the following statement:

“During the course of the confirmation proceedings on my nomination to be Attorney General, I advised the Senate Judiciary Committee that ‘[i]f a specific matter arose where I believed my impartiality might reasonably be questioned, I would consult with Department ethics officials regarding the most appropriate way to proceed.’

“During the course of the last several weeks, I have met with the relevant senior career Department officials to discuss whether I should recuse myself from any matters arising from the campaigns for President of the United States.

“Having concluded those meetings today, I have decided to recuse myself from any existing or future investigations of any matters related in any way to the campaigns for President of the United States.

“I have taken no actions regarding any such matters, to the extent they exist.

“This announcement should not be interpreted as confirmation of the existence of any investigation or suggestive of the scope of any such investigation.

“Consistent with the succession order for the Department of Justice, Acting Deputy Attorney General and U.S. Attorney for the Eastern District of Virginia Dana Boente shall act as and perform the functions of the Attorney General with respect to any matters from which I have recused myself to the extent they exist.”

17-237

Office of the Attorney General (http://www.justice.gov/ag/)

Updated March 2, 2017

pkrone
03-02-2017, 07:28 PM
While every politician is a human being, and some of them have the vices of human beings, the idea that 'they're all crooks' is first objectively wrong; they're not all crooks and liars. None of them are perfect, neither am I, neither are you, but some are a hell of a lot better than others. Second, it's very, very destructive to the very idea of good government. Assuming that politicians are going to be worse than the average of the population is not only wrong, in a democracy it tends to be self-fulfilling. Cynicism is cheap, facile, and dangerous.

Ahh, yes. I expected you to attempt to educate me in morality and such and to criticize my opinion. I acknowledge your consistency... However, I'm free to harbor my own personal opinions of politicians. I've seen little to dissuade me of such. Time and experience has proven to me that to only person that has my best interests at heart is me and those I pay.

Keith Wilson
03-02-2017, 07:48 PM
https://scontent-dft4-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/17021604_10154271059155848_3105995652579046715_n.j pg?oh=6ee593642ed44da32e1ca701517dc0fb&oe=592CA062

Keith Wilson
03-02-2017, 07:53 PM
Ahh, yes. I expected you to attempt to educate me in morality and such and to criticize my opinion. I acknowledge your consistency... However, I'm free to harbor my own personal opinions of politicians. I've seen little to dissuade me of such. Time and experience has proven to me that the only person that has my best interests at heart is me and those I pay.As you like. I certainly can't force you to think one way or another. I'm sorry your experience has given you such a negative view of humanity, and no doubt you're sometimes right. However, my central point is that we should hold people in power to a higher standard than that, and that "They're all lying crooked bastards, why bother?" actually has bad effects.

Canoeyawl
03-02-2017, 07:55 PM
https://scontent-dft4-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/17021604_10154271059155848_3105995652579046715_n.j pg?oh=6ee593642ed44da32e1ca701517dc0fb&oe=592CA062

Looks like he has been polishing that with 150 grit...

John of Phoenix
03-02-2017, 07:59 PM
CPES and 320. Shine, shine, shine.

Canoeyawl
03-02-2017, 08:00 PM
Shinola maybe?

pkrone
03-02-2017, 08:04 PM
As you like. I certainly can't force you to think one way or another. I'm sorry your experience has given you such a negative view of humanity, and no doubt you're sometimes right. However, my central point is that we should hold people in power to a higher standard than that, and that "They're all lying crooked bastards, why bother?" actually has bad effects.

I never said "why bother". Those are your words. It's the consistency of elected officials that bother me.

Keith Wilson
03-02-2017, 08:21 PM
And again, I disagree with you. Some are lying crooked scumbags. Many are not.

David G
03-02-2017, 08:27 PM
While every politician is a human being, and some of them have the vices of human beings, the idea that 'they're all crooks' is first objectively wrong; they're not all crooks and liars. None of them are perfect, neither am I, neither are you, but some are a hell of a lot better than others. Second, it's very, very destructive to the very idea of good government. Assuming that politicians are going to be worse than the average of the population is not only wrong, in a democracy it tends to be self-fulfilling. Cynicism is cheap, facile, and dangerous.

Just so. Such cynicism is not warranted, and not helpful. It's part of the con. The narrative that we've been sold to encourage us to disengage from political life and civic engagement.

Canoeyawl
03-02-2017, 08:31 PM
Just so. Such cynicism is not warranted, and not helpful. It's part of the con. The narrative that we've been sold to encourage us to disengage from political life and civic engagement.

Oct 5, 2008 - "Get down to Disney World in Florida," he urged just over two weeks after 9/11. "Take your families and enjoy life, the way we want it to be enjoyed."

Nicholas Carey
03-02-2017, 09:13 PM
You know, Norman. You know.

My fondest hope is that they round up the top 100 of these traitors, shake 'em down to the most heinous 20, and deliver that appropriate, legally-prescribed penalty at Noon on July 4th on the National Mall.

Here in the upper-left corner, we have got lots of big Douglas firs and lots of hemp due to our legalized marijuana. We would be, I think, most happy to supply both the timber and the hemp for the necktie party.

PatCassidy
03-02-2017, 10:17 PM
Watching alternative news with Hannity. How could they wrong Sessions like this? Hannity is a calmer version of wacko Alex Jones.

skuthorp
03-03-2017, 02:14 AM
I wonder do any of Donald's crew think of just how this appears to anyone outside of the US? It's making a mockery of your government and processes. And does anyone think that someone there has their eye on the ball?

Bluefin2
03-03-2017, 07:52 AM
http://2coolfishing.com/ttmbforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=3531433&stc=1&d=1488542542

Duncan Gibbs
03-03-2017, 08:00 AM
http://2coolfishing.com/ttmbforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=3531433&stc=1&d=1488542542
Right click on the blue square with the white question mark and this comes up in the new tab:

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

You are not logged in. Fill in the form at the bottom of this page and try again.
You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

The incompetency is obviously going viral in the world of RWWs! Cool Fishing indeed. This troll just cast into solid ice! :D

Keith Wilson
03-03-2017, 08:26 AM
Let me summarize for our Texan compatriot who says he's not RodB.

Had Mr. Sessions lied about having an affair, or dubious investments, or most other normal kinds of corruption, I'd be inclined to let it pass, for all I think he's a dreadful person for Attorney General, and say maybe he really did forget, or that it;s not that big a deal. Not in this case. Here's why it matters. This is what we know with reasonable certainty:

- Russian intelligence services (a nice way to say 'spies') hacked into computers belonging to various Democratic politicians and organizations.
- They gave some of the information they stole to Wikileaks, who then released it to the public.
- Their intent was to influence the US presidential election, and to help the Trump campaign.
- They succeeded to some extent, exactly how much being difficult to say. Maybe it helped Trump only negligibly, maybe a lot. We can be pretty sure it helped him to some degree.

This is very serious stuff. The question at present is whether Mr. Trump or those involved with his campaign knew about this, and whether they cooperated with Russian intelligence to influence the results of the election by selectively releasing stolen information. We know the Russians did this; we don't know was whether the Trump campaign was involved.

That's why it matters that Sessions didn't tell Congress about his meetings with the Russian Ambassador. Personally, I don't much care whether he stays in office or not; Trump will no doubt appoint someone equally dreadful. I care very much that we get to the bottom of this. If one of the campaigns cooperated with a foreign power to influence the election by stealing information from their opponents (as Trump invited them to do in public, BTW), this is an existential threat to our democracy, and as serious as anything that's happened in US politics in my lifetime.

Jim Mahan
03-03-2017, 08:40 AM
On the other thread a comment was made to the effect that congressional Rs might not get behind the investigation wholeheartedly. No doubt. But it isn't a congressional investigation that is going to bring this whole thing together and crmple trmp.

I am guessing that soon Comey will his announce that he, too, has recused himself.

oznabrag
03-03-2017, 08:43 AM
Let me summarize for our Texan compatriot who says he's not RodB.

Had Mr. Sessions lied about having an affair, or dubious investments, or most other normal kinds of corruption, I'd be inclined to let it pass, for all I think he's a dreadful person for Attorney General, and say maybe he really did forget, or that it;s not that big a deal. Not in this case. Here's why it matters. This is what we know with reasonable certainty:

- Russian intelligence services (a nice way to say 'spies') hacked into computers belonging to various Democratic politicians and organizations.
- They gave some of the information they stole to Wikileaks, who then released it to the public.
- Their intent was to influence the US presidential election, and to help the Trump campaign.
- They succeeded to some extent, exactly how much being difficult to say. Maybe it helped Trump only negligibly, maybe a lot. We can be pretty sure it helped him to some degree.

This is very serious stuff. The question at present is whether Mr. Trump or those involved with his campaign knew about this, and whether they cooperated with Russian intelligence to influence the results of the election by selectively releasing stolen information. We know the Russians did this; we don't know was whether the Trump campaign was involved.

That's why it matters that Sessions didn't tell Congress about his meetings with the Russian Ambassador. Personally, I don't much care whether he stays in office or not; Trump will no doubt appoint someone equally dreadful. I care very much that we get to the bottom of this. If one of the campaigns cooperated with a foreign power to influence the election by stealing information from their opponents (as Trump invited them to do in public, BTW), this is an existential threat to our democracy, and as serious as anything that's happened in US politics in my lifetime.

This is the part that the reds will pooh-pooh.

It seems as though their condition is a little like being addicted to morphine.

When they have power, it doesn't matter how they got it, it's not all that bad, and they can quit any time they want.

oznabrag
03-03-2017, 08:45 AM
On the other thread a comment was made to the effect that congressional Rs might not get behind the investigation wholeheartedly. No doubt. But it isn't a congressional investigation that is going to bring this whole thing together and crmple trmp.

I am guessing that soon Comey will his announce that he, too, has recused himself.

They keep this up, and pretty soon it will be left to ME to investigate.

They don't want that.

I make Jack Bauer look like Mr. Rogers.

CWSmith
03-03-2017, 09:22 AM
This is the part that the reds will pooh-pooh.

I'm surprised that it has to be explained to them!

Joe (SoCal)
03-03-2017, 09:04 PM
PUTIN DEMANDS SESSIONS RESIGN FROM RUSSIAN GOVERNMENT

MOSCOW (The Borowitz Report (http://www.newyorker.com/humor/borowitz-report))—In a stunning rebuke of the Attorney General, Russian President Vladimir Putin has demanded that Jeff Sessions resign from the Russian government “at once.”Speaking at the Kremlin, Putin said that the controversies swirling around Sessions in Washington “no longer make it possible for Jeff Sessions to function as an integral part of the Kremlin team.”

Putin asserted that Sessions had “become a distraction,” and ordered the Alabama native to clear on his desk at the Kremlin “by Friday morning at the latest.”
While Kremlin sources said that forcing Sessions’s resignation was “a necessary measure,” they would not guarantee that he was the only member of the Trump Cabinet who would be expelled from the Russian government.

http://www.newyorker.com/humor/borowitz-report/putin-demands-sessions-resign-from-russian-government

:D :D :D

Daniel Noyes
03-03-2017, 09:24 PM
https://scontent.fbed1-2.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-0/p480x480/17103369_10158516952380389_6344140416413176083_n.j pg?oh=664604563e882e5e5bbee1dc07660ad0&oe=5940052E
(https://www.facebook.com/SeanHannity/photos/a.10150746729155389.726790.69813760388/10158516952380389/?type=3)

Joe (SoCal)
03-03-2017, 11:44 PM
Heartbroken Russian Ambassador Thought Special Meetings With Jeff Sessions Were Very Memorable

WASHINGTON—Expressing surprise and sadness at Attorney General Jeff Sessions’ repeated denials of contact with Russian officials during the 2016 presidential campaign, heartbroken Ambassador Sergey Kislyak told reporters Thursday that he thought his special meetings with the then–Alabama senator were actually very memorable. “To be honest, our two conversations hold great significance for me, and I can’t help but be upset to learn that Jeff felt otherwise,” said the tearful Russian diplomat, adding that he simply could not believe that Sessions could so nonchalantly dismiss the many hours they spent discussing the intimate details of their lives, including their innermost hopes and fears for their respective countries. “It really hurts to think that Jeff doesn’t cherish the afternoons we spent sitting in his office exchanging information about everything under the sun. These were some of the most meaningful discussions of my life, and Jeff’s writing them off like they didn’t even happen. How could he be so cruel?” Kislyak went on to say that even his subsequent communications with former National Security Advisor Michael Flynn never for a moment made him forget the precious time he and Sessions spent together.

http://www.theonion.com/article/heartbroken-russian-ambassador-thought-special-mee-55432?utm_content=Main&utm_campaign=SF&utm_source=Facebook&utm_medium=SocialMarketing

Joe (SoCal)
03-03-2017, 11:48 PM
Trump Just Sent & Deleted A Tweet 3 Times Because He Can’t Spell

President Donald Trump has just made a complete fool of himself once again by reminding us that his grasp of the English language is marginal at best.
Over the span of a few minutes, Trump sent and deleted a tweet three times calling for an investigation into House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi (D-CA) because someone found a picture of her with the Russian ambassador in 2010 – all because he doesn’t know how to spell “hereby.”
Here’s the first try:
http://occupydemocrats.com/wp-content/uploads/trump1.jpg
Not quite, Donnie…
http://occupydemocrats.com/wp-content/uploads/trump2.jpg
There you go! We’d give you a gold star, but we’re worried you might insult i (http://occupydemocrats.com/2016/08/01/gold-star-families-condemn-trumps-islamophobic-attacks-khans/)t.
http://occupydemocrats.com/wp-content/uploads/trump3-2.jpg
But it gets better – in the middle of those tweets, what was probably a scheduled tweet went out reminding us all about the importance of education.