PDA

View Full Version : R.I.P. the intentional walk, in Baseball

Norman Bernstein
02-22-2017, 09:44 AM
Well, it's not really going away, per se... just that it can now been signaled from the dugout, and the pitcher doesn't have to throw the four balls.

Too bad, especially, since the intentional walk has gone 'awry' in the past... see the video below.

(The reason given: a desire to speed up the game. Evidently, it will save just an average of 14 seconds per game)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-euNcCMy0CA

John of Phoenix
02-22-2017, 09:55 AM
Bad call. Good video.

leikec
02-22-2017, 10:10 AM
Dear MLB,

Please stop screwing with the game. If you want to change something, change the price of a hot dog and a beer so a person doesn't need a pre-approved home equity loan to eat at the ball park.

Jeff C

Paul Pless
02-22-2017, 10:11 AM
dumbest **** ever

Canoeyawl
02-22-2017, 10:25 AM
A decision in favor of keeping (or increasing) the commercial content and lessening the game.

Slow Ball... it is hard for me to watch.

Norman Bernstein
02-22-2017, 10:27 AM
Dear MLB,
Please stop screwing with the game. If you want to change something, change the price of a hot dog and a beer so a person doesn't need a pre-approved home equity loan to eat at the ball park.

There's a solution to this: go to minor league games. The Pawtucket Red Sox have a lovely little stadium, tickets are $10, and concession prices are a bit more reasonable. The game is fun to watch, even if you don't know the players, the seats are far better than the ones that mortal man can't afford in a major league stadium, and parking is close by.

Canoeyawl
02-22-2017, 10:30 AM
^^^ yes!

Paul Pless
02-22-2017, 10:32 AM
Dear MLB,

Jeff C

There's a solution to this: go to minor league games. The Pawtucket Red Sox have a lovely little stadium, tickets are $10, and concession prices are a bit more reasonable. The game is fun to watch, even if you don't know the players, the seats are far better than the ones that mortal man can't afford in a major league stadium, and parking is close by.

Jeff, I love minor league baseball as well as major league. I'm gonna catch the Beachbums this year for sure; you up for meeting me there?

http://www.thesportsdb.com/images/media/team/badge/yqptss1471788488.png

leikec
02-22-2017, 10:33 AM

I really enjoy minor league bbaseball, and I try to go to 8-10 games every year. I usually go to 3-4 MLB games every year, but now it's a little more effort to do that.

Jeff C

Andrew Craig-Bennett
02-22-2017, 10:35 AM

wwwwwhhhhaaaat?

You mean the best is not necessarily the enemy of the good?

I'm with you all the way, and will be off to a village cricket match in a few months

leikec
02-22-2017, 10:35 AM
Jeff, I love minor league baseball as well as major league. I'm gonna catch the Beachbums this year for sure; you up for meeting me there?

http://www.thesportsdb.com/images/media/team/badge/yqptss1471788488.png

I'm in! I'd also like to check out the Grand Rapids team.

Jeff C

Paul Pless
02-22-2017, 10:37 AM
I usually go to 3-4 MLB games every year, but now it's a little more effort to do that.

Jeff CSo in your new home will you be going to see the Tigers, The Brewers, The Cubbies, or the White Sox? :D

Catching the ferry across Lake Michigan to see the Brewers would be cool!

My favourite minor league experience near me is the Toledo Mudhens. Cool stadium, Detroit farm team, up and down years, Tony Packos hot dogs.

Paul Pless
02-22-2017, 10:39 AM
I'm in! I'd also like to check out the Grand Rapids team.

Jeff C
Yeah, Kat's parents live in Grand Rapids,with a house full of her nephews and nieces. I should take one or two of them to a game.

John of Phoenix
02-22-2017, 10:42 AM
You minor league guys would love some Cactus League spring training games.

Paul Pless
02-22-2017, 10:45 AM
You minor league guys would love some Cactus League spring training games.yah, i did ten days of the grapefruit league along with some bomb fishing a few years ago

it was pretty great

leikec
02-22-2017, 10:46 AM
so in your new home will you be going to see the Tigers, The Brewers, The Cubbies, or the White Sox? :D

Catching the ferry across Lake Michigan to see the Brewers would be cool!

My favourite minor league experience near me is the Toledo Mudhens. Cool stadium, Detroit farm team, up and down years, Tony Packos hot dogs.

I've been to lots of Mudhens games.

Believe it or not, I've never been to Wrigley. That's also on the list for this summer.

Jeff C

Gerarddm
02-22-2017, 10:46 AM
I have been to exactly two MLB games in my life.

In the first one, Steinbrenner's Yankees lost to the Royals and George complained that his pitcher Ken Clay " spit out the bit". He was gone a couple of weeks later.

In the second, I attended a Mariners game at Safeco some years ago and caught a foul ball off Brett Boone's bat. I still have it somewhere in a box, scuff marked and all.

TomF
02-22-2017, 10:48 AM
This is kinda like Senate rules for the filibuster now? Crap.

Eliminate the intentional walk ... by making the pitcher throw like he would to anyone else.

John of Phoenix
02-22-2017, 10:52 AM
My BiL and I had seats right behind the Diamondbacks dugout for a Dodgers game a couple years ago. We'd been to the Stanley Cup finals the week before and the pace of baseball practically put us to sleep.

SKIP KILPATRICK
02-22-2017, 11:01 AM
I'll see your Beach Bums and raise the Richmond Flying Squirrels!

http://media.rvanews.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/800px-RichmondFlyingSquirrels.png

http://www.milb.com/images/2010/01/19/cTzW9TKh.jpghttp://content.sportslogos.net/logos/38/2771/full/owlmp6s4hgszj51d54xem21c8.gif

Go Nuts!!!!!!

Paul Pless
02-22-2017, 11:02 AM
my longtime home team

http://cdn.theatlantic.com/static/mt/assets/culture_test/biscuits%20banner.jpg

amish rob
02-22-2017, 11:04 AM
Our local AAA team used to be a Giants affiliate, but is now the Astros affiliate? Anyway, they have a night called Taco Truck Night. The change the team logo to a taco for the night.

We drive in to watch games, sometimes.

I've been on the field 5 times. On the field! Super cool to leap at the track and smash into the wall.

Anyway. Baseball! :)

Peace,
Robert

P.S. The pitcher should still have to throw 4 pitches. My daughter (softball) is such a devastating batter because she averages 7 pitches per at bat. Honestly, she has the greatest eye and the quickest hands. No power, though. :) She's an awesome 1-2 batter, though. Why? She gets on base! :D

Canoeyawl
02-22-2017, 11:07 AM
What do you bet that the second that "walk" is called they go to commercial while the player strolls out to the plate?

amish rob
02-22-2017, 11:08 AM
http://archive.fresnobeehive.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/tacos.jpg
Oh, you know I bought a Taco cap.

Peace,
Robert

SKIP KILPATRICK
02-22-2017, 11:10 AM
Minor league ball is about the cheapest entertainment in town!

The Club makes sure that there is plenty of silly activities between innings to keep the kids attention.

The largest expense is the beer, but at least you have some choice of your national favorite or some of the local brews.

leikec
02-22-2017, 11:13 AM
I'm very proud to say that I may be the only person on earth who never played a professional level baseball game who has given up home runs to five different major league players in an actual game. I also have two base hits off of pitchers who played Major League Baseball.

The five home runs given up were to Bob Welch, U.L. Washington (this ball may still be orbiting the earth--it was crushed), Rod Allen, Mike Kingery, and Jack Clark.

My two hits were against Bob Welch and Scot Bailes.

Jeff C

amish rob
02-22-2017, 11:15 AM
I'm very proud to say that I may be the only person on earth who never played a professional level baseball game who has given up home runs to five different major league players in an actual game. I also have two base hits off of pitchers who played Major League Baseball.

The five home runs given up were to Bob Welch, U.L. Washington (this ball may still be orbiting the earth--it was crushed), Rod Allen, Mike Kingery, and Jack Clark.

My two hits were against Bob Welch and Scot Bailes.

Jeff C
This needs much more elaboration...:)

Peace,
Robert

TomF
02-22-2017, 11:27 AM
Someone has to mention Susan Sarandon and the Durham Bulls.

leikec
02-22-2017, 11:30 AM
This needs much more elaboration...:)

Peace,
Robert

They weren't major league players when I played against them :D

Jeff C

Jim Bow
02-22-2017, 11:51 AM
There's a team called "The Cucamonga Quakes" and the stadium is called "The Epicenter".

Joe (SoCal)
02-22-2017, 12:21 PM
There's a team called "The Cucamonga Quakes" and the stadium is called "The Epicenter".

Not to far from me

http://tombuechi.com/venues/images/RC_Quakes_Logo.jpg

John Smith
02-22-2017, 12:22 PM
Something goes wrong about as often as in person voter fraud.

How bout an intentional walk give him 2nd base?

Harry Miller
02-22-2017, 12:22 PM
Stupid rule change.
Thanks for the video. I've got a hat from the Wichita Wing Nuts but haven't seen them play, yet.

amish rob
02-22-2017, 12:32 PM
Something goes wrong about as often as in person voter fraud.

How bout an intentional walk give him 2nd base?

Now THAT I like.

Peace,
Robert

amish rob
02-22-2017, 12:35 PM
They weren't major league players when I played against them :D

Jeff C

Excellent! :D Very, very funny.

Peace,
Robert

leikec
02-22-2017, 01:43 PM
My late father-in-law was in the Navy and was present at Pearl, working in the base laundry, when the attack came.

A man never short of a good story, he was a pretty good pitcher in his day and was a starter on the Pearl Harbor base team during WWII when the touring professional All-Stars came through, among them the great Joe Dimaggio.

On his start, my F-I-L struck out Joe D, looking, the first time through. The next time up, Joe D took him deep on the first pitch, on a ball that is still going.;)

Cool story! I've always thought that Joe DiMaggio, Stan Musial, Ted Williams, Rod Carew, and George Brett would be the five guys that no pitcher would want to face when the game was on the line.

Jeff C

bamamick
02-22-2017, 01:53 PM
As a former player at several levels I am firmly against this. Please don't change the game because the x-box generation is getting bored with it (or has long been bored with it). The game is what it is. I can understand the point in a pitch clock or in making sure a batter stays in the box, but this kind of thing doesn't give you much in the way of return, and alters the traditions of the game.

Mickey Lake

leikec
02-22-2017, 02:05 PM
As a former player at several levels I am firmly against this. Please don't change the game because the x-box generation is getting bored with it (or has long been bored with it). The game is what it is. I can understand the point in a pitch clock or in making sure a batter stays in the box, but this kind of thing doesn't give you much in the way of return, and alters the traditions of the game.

Mickey Lake

Exactly.

The rest of the game is still going on during an intentional walk. I remember Willie McGee scoring from first base when the opposing catcher tried to pick him off during an intentional walk and the ball ended up in the right field corner.

Jeff C

Robbie 2
02-22-2017, 07:58 PM
Yeah, Kat's parents live in Grand Rapids,with a house full of her nephews and nieces. I should take one or two of them to a game.

I hope to be in Grand Rapids later this year........can you take me?

Paul Pless
02-22-2017, 08:03 PM
I hope to be in Grand Rapids later this year........can you take me?for sure

Breakaway
02-23-2017, 01:28 AM
but this kind of thing doesn't give you much in the way of return, and alters the traditions of the game.

Exactly. The IW is chivalrous; one knight yielding to another, thought not conceding. It's a detail and a ritual in which lies drama.

Kevin

Bluefin2
02-23-2017, 06:40 AM
I'd just like to see MLB fix some of these alignments. The Astros and Rangers playing west coast teams? Freaking games don't start til 9pm here. And MLB is worried about a few seconds....
The best thing to happen for baseball was Bud Selig leaving.