PDA

View Full Version : Live debate in UK Parliament over Trump state visit

willmarsh3
02-20-2017, 02:22 PM
I'm watching this now. It is lively, sometimes heated and intetesting

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn.com/cnn/2017/02/20/europe/trump-state-visit-uk-parliament-debate/index.html?client=safari

willmarsh3
02-20-2017, 02:23 PM
And it sounds like a "no"

skuthorp
02-20-2017, 02:24 PM
But it's not binding on the PM. Nevertheless..................

LeeG
02-20-2017, 05:28 PM
I like the suggestion of having him visit while Parliment is in recess.

BrianW
02-20-2017, 05:57 PM
First they vote to alienate themselves from Europe, and now the US?

I doubt it. :)

isla
02-20-2017, 05:59 PM
Withdrawing an invitation like that would be a slap in the face to
ALL of America.

Like it or not, the idiot is the President.

One of the (many) things that bothers some of us here in the UK is how quickly the invitation was made after Trump's election. Mr Trump was invited to the UK for a state visit after just seven days as president, while it took 758 days for Barack Obama and 978 days for George W Bush. Some presidents have never been invited. There is some speculation that Theresa May, faced with Brexit and all that entails, was desperate to get a US trade deal, which resulted in an unprecedented early invitation.

Gerarddm
02-20-2017, 10:52 PM
Uh, since the Queen is involved with a State visit, doesn't she get any say in this? Even behind the scenes, as in, 'this won't DO '?

As an American I would feel no slap whatsoever if they declined a State visit; after all, they aren't banning the fellow, just not giving him exaltation.

WX
02-21-2017, 12:20 AM
Withdrawing an invitation like that would be a slap in the face to
ALL of America.

Like it or not, the idiot is the President.
Look upon it as supporting all sentient US citizens.:)

skuthorp
02-21-2017, 04:58 AM
The Brit. government can lick boots as much as they like but they will get no respect from Donald. He will laugh behind their backs, and they know it of course.
Same applies to Aus. but then we have always done what we are told. If Donald puts troops into Syria the we will lick US boots again.

Andrew Craig-Bennett
02-21-2017, 05:13 AM
One factor in the reluctance to go ahead with the State Visit for President Trump is his habit of tweeting; he may tweet something rude or at least unpleasant about his hosts - the Queen and Prince Philip, or about their home.

The main point is the one made by Isla; "Why the big hurry?"

Peerie Maa
02-21-2017, 05:59 AM
The main point is the one made by Isla; "Why the big hurry?"

I agree. There is this niggling worry in the back of my mind that the invite may not have gone through due process before May set off for the US.

skuthorp
02-21-2017, 06:08 AM
Reason for hurry may have something to do with legitimising him with a State Visit in at least one OS country/US ally. Maybe part of a deal?

Andrew Craig-Bennett
02-21-2017, 06:48 AM
I agree. There is this niggling worry in the back of my mind that the invite may not have gone through due process before May set off for the US.

I share that worry.

It was all so very fast.

Some useful background here in the Daily Mirror:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/what-state-visits-committee-invite-9722639

JimD
02-21-2017, 11:23 AM
I think electing Trump was the greater slap in America's face.