PDA

View Full Version : UK airport sniffer dogs

Paul Pless
02-20-2017, 07:13 AM
A team of sniffer dogs set up at a British airport at a cost of 1.25 million pounds ($1.7 million) have proved adept at discovering small amounts of cheese and sausages but not so good at finding smuggled drugs, a report said on Thursday.

An inspection of border security at Manchester Airport in northern England found that during a seven-month period, the six dogs had failed to find any illegal class A drugs, those considered the most dangerous such as heroin or cocaine.

"The deterrent effect of the detection dogs was difficult to measure, but seizures alone represented a low return on investment, given 1.25 million spent on new kennels and the costs of operating the unit," said the report by the Independent Chief Inspector of Borders and Immigration.

lol

Ian McColgin
02-20-2017, 07:48 AM
They are there to detect counterfeit Cheddar coming in from Luxembourg.

birlinn
02-20-2017, 10:00 AM
That report was from at least six months back.

isla
02-20-2017, 10:06 AM
My dog Flint was being trained as a drug sniffer but failed the course, so we bought him from the training kennel. He hates cheese :D

http://www.orbsbooks.co.uk/images/flint.jpg

Dave Hadfield
02-20-2017, 10:09 AM
My FO was pulled aside in YUL one day because the beagle sat down beside his bag. He was horrified of course, assuming that a terrible mistake was made, until the uniformed lady came up to him and asked, "Sir, do you have any cheese in your bag?"

And then she was quite miffed when we laughed.

birlinn
02-20-2017, 10:11 AM
The report came out when our late lamented spaniel was still alive.
She was extremely good at sniffing out small amounts of cheese and sausages, and sneaking off with them, which is why the report amused at the time.

Peerie Maa
02-20-2017, 10:14 AM
Probably says more about the passengers at Manchester airport than it does about the dogs.

Police dog Ross sniffs out 28 drugs suspects in Leicester in one nighthttp://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/police-dog-ross-sniffs-out-18-drugs-suspects-in-one-night/story-30004541-detail/story.html

Peerie Maa
02-20-2017, 10:17 AM
My FO was pulled aside in YUL one day because the beagle sat down beside his bag. He was horrified of course, assuming that a terrible mistake was made, until the uniformed lady came up to him and asked, "Sir, do you have any cheese in your bag?"

And then she was quite miffed when we laughed.

What sort of cheese? Stinking Bishop?

Canoez
02-20-2017, 10:38 AM
Perhaps the dogs would like a bit of bread, pickle and the like along with a nice pint to make up a proper ploughman's?

bamamick
02-20-2017, 10:42 AM
Lots of dogs in the Atlanta airport, and the last time I flew out of Mobile they actually had a sniffer dog.

I would imagine they are a deterrent just by being there, but it certainly doesn't help to let everyone know they can't pick up the drugs. Geez.

Mickey Lake

Nicholas Scheuer
02-20-2017, 10:46 AM
We wee once busted by a little fruit-sniffing pooch at O'Hare following a flight from Heathrow. The apple had been consumed in-flight, but the pooch smelled it anyway.

B_B
02-20-2017, 10:46 AM
Read somewhere that beagles/terriers are good at finding food/agricultural products, labs are good sniffing out drugs - maybe its a horses for courses thing.

Nicholas Scheuer
02-20-2017, 10:47 AM
Meanwhile, the big German Shepherd in the corner eyeballed us intently. Hey, where there are apples, there may be other goodies more down my alley, eh?

Nicholas Scheuer
02-20-2017, 10:50 AM
Opps, the preceding was supposed to be preceded by a recount of when a little fruit-sniffing pooch busted us at O'Hare and found traces of an apple in our carry-on, which had been consumed in-flight.

ron ll
02-20-2017, 11:07 AM
Around here the sniffer dogs are a common sight while waiting in line for a ferry. I assume these are looking for explosives.

Shang
02-20-2017, 11:48 AM
Returning from London to NYC we were asked to participate in a training exercise for the drug-sniffing dog. I did a quick mental inventory, then said, "Sure, happy to."
The officer lined us up along the wall, with our carry-on bags in front of us. Then the handler and the doggy came in--a small Basset Hound, who was wearing a vest that identified him as a law officer. The Basset made his way down the line of passengers, sniffing each one. He stopped in front of one guy's AWOL bag and looked back at his handler. The handler asked the gentleman to open his bag--he did so, and the officer removed an orange from the bag. The handler gave the Basset a dog treat, and the dog proudly strutted off with the trainer.
The second officer thanked the orange-bag man, and said to everyone, in a loud stage-whisper: "This gentleman is not an orange-smuggler, we always plant something for the dog to find."

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/a/af/Cara_de_quem_caiu_do_caminh%C3%A3o..._%28cropped%2 9.jpg/300px-Cara_de_quem_caiu_do_caminh%C3%A3o..._%28cropped%2 9.jpg

CWSmith
02-20-2017, 12:22 PM
My dog Flint was being trained as a drug sniffer but failed the course, so we bought him from the training kennel. He hates cheese :D

Good lookin' doggie!

Shang
02-20-2017, 12:46 PM
My wife, who trained as a Nurse, read this thread about drug-sniffing dogs. “You guys don't know anything about training dogs for scent-finding, I helped train Cadaver Dogs. Those are the dogs who are brought in to find the bodies of fatal accident victims.
“I was cast as a live victim for the training exercises—the dogs found us live people pretty quickly, they'd bark to signal our location, but they could tell that we weren't their real goal, so they would continue searching—sometimes digging—until they reached the cadaver.”

I had to ask: “Who were the cadavers? Did they use real dead bodies?”

“They used 'Human Remains' “ she said,''...the remains came in Dixie Cups with tight fitting lids.”

Dave Hadfield
02-20-2017, 01:02 PM
What sort of cheese? Stinking Bishop?

Actually it was just one packet of plastic-wrapped cheddar -- the kind that comes on an airborne meal tray. That's why we laughed.

She he said he had been required to declare it to customs, and hadn't.

But that was in the Jacques Parizeau era, and everything in Quebec was screwy then...

AnalogKid
02-20-2017, 02:18 PM
Probably says more about the passengers at Manchester airport than it does about the dogs.
http://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/police-dog-ross-sniffs-out-18-drugs-suspects-in-one-night/story-30004541-detail/story.html

Surprised it managed to sniff anything out over the patchouli oil and incense whiff of Silver Street!

Mind you, we got stopped coming back into NZ one time by a beagle that sniffed out a shriveled-up apple core in my lad's carry-on bag that was from NZ anyway, left over from a school lunch probably a couple of weeks earlier. It managed to sniff that out despite the father-in-law's bag on the same trolley had a broken bottle of aftershave in it.

skuthorp
02-20-2017, 02:30 PM
I got pulled up on an internal flight here. The female officer in a thick eastern european accent said. "Ve are looking for bomps" I nearly burst out laughing. Bag lives in the shed, got sprinkled with fertiliser somehow.

Jim Bow
02-20-2017, 02:35 PM
Local fire marshalls had a dog named Blaze. She could go into a burnt out building and within minutes find the spot to test for accelerants.
Our building was one storey with an 80 foot hallway. As a test, the Marshall poured about a teaspoon of gasoline near a doorway leading to a closet. He waited while it dried up and came back late that afternoon with Blaze. She ran down the hall and skidded to a stop. Within seconds she sat near the spot. Her reward was 10 minutes with a tennis ball.

NickW
02-20-2017, 03:06 PM
They are there to detect counterfeit Cheddar coming in from Luxembourg.

Nah, they're to prevent the import of dodgy sausage like objects from the Continent. Got to save the British Banger y'know!

Nick

PS Maybe t'other Nick can find the relevant Yes Minister clip, my google fu's not good enough.

The Bigfella
02-20-2017, 03:25 PM
Having done a bit of work at an airport, let's just say that I've got some bags that I won't take into certain countries. That'd be any bag that I've carried Endone in (without being a medico, let's call it a high class prescribed opiate). The detection systems are getting pretty damn good.

Peerie Maa
02-20-2017, 03:27 PM
This one?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OzeDZtx3wUw

NickW
02-20-2017, 03:46 PM
That's it. I forgot the "Euro sausage" bit.

Thanks

Nick

Peerie Maa
02-20-2017, 04:00 PM
It reminded me of a school trip to the Walls factory in Devon back in the '60s.
Fortunately we now have access to http://rbwoodall.com/products.html

Robbie 2
02-20-2017, 05:16 PM
When our youngest son was 2, we went on a trip to NZ's West Island (Aussie).
On the way home we got asked to stand by a wall as the Port Ag detector dog walked past.
The dog nearly screwed his head off as he passed Benjie's Air NZ kids bag.
Walked over, took a really BIG sniff, then vomited the stickiest, blackest and foul smelling dog vomit all over the bag.
We had forgotten about the pork sandwiches put in there the day before, eaten on a walk in the park.
The Port Ag lady was horrified and took both the dog and bag away, returning with a new Air NZ kids bag along with some treats for our upset son.

isla
02-20-2017, 05:29 PM
Good lookin' doggie!

He was young when that photo was taken. Now he's 14 years old and a bit tubby.

Stiletto
02-20-2017, 05:42 PM
He was young when that photo was taken. Now he's 14 years old and a bit tubby.

I know that problem!