PDA

View Full Version : This is why we need immigration

Norman Bernstein
02-18-2017, 03:26 PM
An example from my own home town, no less:

CONGRATULATIONS!The Sharon Middle School team is being recognized as a Best in Nation winner of the 2016 Verizon Innovative App Challenge. This is a significant honor as the Sharon Middle School team was selected as one of eight winners out of a pool of 1,800 contestants nationwide for submitting a highly innovative mobile app concept. The students on the team are Rohan Bommaraju, Amelia Dasari, Sri Vishnu Piralta, Tanvi Shah, and Shreesh Nalatwad. Their team teacher is Erinne Silver.

The Verizon Innovative App Challenge provides the opportunity for middle and high school students, working with a faculty advisor, to apply their STEM knowledge, ingenuity, and creativity to develop an original mobile app concept that incorporates STEM and addresses a need or problem in their school or community. The goal of the Challenge is to increase student interest and knowledge in STEM subjects and mobile technology through an engaging and empowering learning experience.

The Sharon app concept Empower will help close the hiring gap for autistic people by connecting them to employment opportunities. The school will receive an additional $15,000 Verizon Foundation grant (they already received $5,000 for being Best in State) and each team member will receive a mobile tablet. In addition, the team will benefit from MIT Media Labs helping them develop their app into reality. They also will present their completed apps at the annual Technology Student Association (TSA) Conference in Orlando, Fla. in June 2017 and their apps will be downloadable from the Google Play store.

We have immigrants from many different cultures in this town... and we welcome them.

Too Little Time
02-18-2017, 04:03 PM
I am sure there would have been a winner if no immigrants participated. There were were state and regional winners. There were even smart kids who had different interests. Some were immigrants, but since immigrants make up only 13% of the population I would guess most of the smart kids are not immigrants.

(Emigrants tend to have a different demographic than their original country's population. They certainly have a different demographic than refugees from their country.)

horsepen
03-01-2017, 05:43 PM
Most Americans don't have issues with immigrants. The issue is with those who are "illegal" immigrants.

Bob Adams
03-01-2017, 06:02 PM
I only wish that were true... but it isn't. Nativism has nothing to do with 'legal' versus 'illegal'.... it has to do with race and culture.

I think it is true Norman. There is a small percentage who might want to seal the borders based on race and culture. Bigots will be bigots. Always has been, unfortunately always will be.

horsepen
03-03-2017, 07:26 AM
Well, since you guys seem to hold a position in opposition to most of the nation's of the world, I'll defer to your better judgement and wisdom! Thanks for enlightening me and the other bigots on the board. Most appreciated.

Bob Adams
03-03-2017, 07:37 AM
Most Americans don't have issues with immigrants. The issue is with those who are "illegal" immigrants.

The term "illegal" seemed to offend some. they are called "undocumented" now.

Dan McCosh
03-03-2017, 04:50 PM
I am sure there would have been a winner if no immigrants participated. There were were state and regional winners. There were even smart kids who had different interests. Some were immigrants, but since immigrants make up only 13% of the population I would guess most of the smart kids are not immigrants.

(Emigrants tend to have a different demographic than their original country's population. They certainly have a different demographic than refugees from their country.) Immigrants today mainly represent the most ambitious of the population of their country of origin. Refugees are the most ambitious of all, since they have risked their lives and fortunes en route. This contrasts with the origins of the U.S., when the New World mainly attracted various criminals, outlaws and outcasts, not to mention slaves.

Chris249
03-03-2017, 09:19 PM
Do they, Dan? Having migrated (for a while) as a kid, having married a migrant and having worked in the protection of migrants, it seems that they are just ordinary people. The same could perhaps be said of refugees. Many of the most ambitious people living under barbaric governments probably stay at home and carry on the fight because they have the ambition of transforming their country rather than leaving it. Among my wife's family, many of the most ambitious stayed on for that reason; some of the less ambitious gave up the fight against racism and emigrated.

It would be interesting to find out some more conclusive evidence either way.

carioca1232001
03-04-2017, 02:37 PM
Immigrants today mainly represent the most ambitious of the population of their country of origin.

Not really, if you take into account those from the more informed - and formally educated, perhaps ? - members of a country´s population who wish to start anew and quit their daily grind, hoping for a more enlightened and / or exciting existence.

As a young British physician (MBBS) I met on a flight from NYC to London once put it: 'Just this tiny medical research institute in Pennsylvania beats the BMA´s Central Research HQ in the Midlands hands-down in matter of enthusiasm and drive of the incumbent research staff. Having moved here, I can assure you that financial gain is just a minor part of it '

Refugees are the most ambitious of all, since they have risked their lives and fortunes en route.

Refugees need to make the most of whatever is in hand, in order to survive. Once they get their heads above water, their children follow suit in the grand other of things

This contrasts with the origins of the U.S., when the New World mainly attracted various criminals, outlaws and outcasts, not to mention slaves.

Slaves weren´t attracted, they were shipped overseas forcefully, contrary to their wishes.

pipefitter
03-05-2017, 03:04 PM

That's true. I've asked the question to those who are in favor of the wall, being sure to clarify. Most are not against immigration at all. It has also become apparent that those who keep avoiding this important detail, have little, or nothing to do with actual immigrants of any stripe and never will. Unless of course it amounts to saving a few bucks on services rendered from a lower wage group.

It gets old having to include this disclaimer when entering this conversation. Because even then, it goes right over their head because that's not what they are in the discussion for. Their in it to disqualify the other brand of politics.

Same with subjects such as global warming. Even if you repeatedly include the disclaimer that you believe in climate change, but instead are more concerned with the more immediate and past effects of man made pollution, the first word out of their partisanship yacks are. . . . "Denier!"

All that's ever going to come of this and every social issue with regard to constructive dialogue, is that this current crop of partisan dinosaurs is going to keep on until nothing can be solved, and issues that were well on their way, such as racism, women's or gay rights etc., will be repeatedly reversed in exchange for an arsenal of political cheap shots and ideological validation.

delecta
03-05-2017, 03:22 PM
Thank you Mr Obama.