X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lew Barrett
    Landlocked
    • Dec 2005

Attaque à outrance

It didn't work for the French during the Great War but it may be the tactic that is most successful in America's national trial. We're not facing Maxims and massed artillery, just some ignorant bullies who happen to have more power than they ever deserved to achieve. A giant national oops that needs to be prosecuted calmly, vigorously, resolutely.

I've been noodling about a way to use the term attaque à outrance in conversation for years but being a generally horrible antiquated idea, I never found an appropriate moment to use it! I think this is the perfect time. With some minor adaptations of Tea Party tactics, attaque à outrance seems to be the default approach of the moment. No enemy trench left secure, no place where an attack in force is uncalled for when the undeniable facts support action. There's plenty of truth to concerns regarding our national humiliation so there's no need to obfuscate the reality of this mess. Consistent activist protest coupled with unyielding political pressure at every level tied to a refusal to yield ground when the cause is just. We will make working allies who share common cause recognizing there is a greater enemy even than guns versus gun control, abortion versus choice, nor any singular social items apart from equality and justice for all based on our basic guiding principles.

Of course, once victory is achieved we have to work towards a better resolution than the Treaty of Versailles. Perhaps some understanding that we're all in this together could actually come from this. We'll know we've met some of our goals when Jack isn't angry and confused about where the faults lay.
    One of the most enduring qualities of an old wooden boat is the smell it imparts to your clothing.
  • paulf
    • Jan 2012

Re: Attaque à outrance

If SB don't like it, it's gotta be a good idea!
    PaulF

Comment

• Yeadon
      𓆝 𓆟 𓆞 𓆝
      • May 2006

Originally posted by Lew Barrett
      It didn't work for the French during the Great War but it may be the tactic that is most successful in America's national trial. We're not facing Maxims and massed artillery, just some ignorant bullies who happen to have more power than they ever deserved to achieve. A giant national oops that needs to be prosecuted calmly, vigorously, resolutely.

I've been noodling about a way to use the term attaque à outrance in conversation for years but being a generally horrible antiquated idea, I never found an appropriate moment to use it! I think this is the perfect time. With some minor adaptations of Tea Party tactics, attaque à outrance seems to be the default approach of the moment. No enemy trench left secure, no place where an attack in force is uncalled for when the undeniable facts support action. There's plenty of truth to concerns regarding our national humiliation so there's no need to obfuscate the reality of this mess. Consistent activist protest coupled with unyielding political pressure at every level tied to a refusal to yield ground when the cause is just. We will make working allies who share common cause recognizing there is a greater enemy even than guns versus gun control, abortion versus choice, nor any singular social items apart from equality and justice for all based on our basic guiding principles.

Of course, once victory is achieved we have to work towards a better resolution than the Treaty of Versailles. Perhaps some understanding that we're all in this together could actually come from this. We'll know we've met some of our goals when Jack isn't angry and confused about where the faults lay.
      After watching the first month or so I've come to a similar conclusion. Even hermits like me can sense it.
      Originally posted by James McMullen
      Yeadon is right, of course.

Comment

• Lew Barrett
        Landlocked
        • Dec 2005

Originally posted by paulf
        It's happening and will continue to be the guiding principle for the nonce. Of course, it will be refined as time goes by. Using fakery, the Tea Party and alt right wackadoodles made it work in eight years. We don't have the luxury of that much time, but we've got a good head of steam on already.

Finally a place to use one of my favorite French terms to rise from the disasters of WWI. Attaque à outrance!
        One of the most enduring qualities of an old wooden boat is the smell it imparts to your clothing.

Comment

• Lew Barrett
          Landlocked
          • Dec 2005

Originally posted by Yeadon
          After watching the first month or so I've come to a similar conclusion. Even hermits like me can sense it.
          I miss your company.

Comment

• Tom Lathrop
            • Dec 1999

Don't know SB and don't want to attack him personally. On the other hand, I don't mind attacking the stuff he writes on here as all that I see is just slavish far right BS. SB = BS? Nah, I said I would not do that.
            Tom L

Comment

• paulf
              • Jan 2012

Originally posted by Tom Lathrop
              Don't know SB and don't want to attack him personally. On the other hand, I don't mind attacking the stuff he writes on here as all that I see is just slavish far right BS. SB = BS? Nah, I said I would not do that.
              I'm not personally attacking SB, I just find that I disagree almost 100% with SB. As you seem to.

SB provokes for sport.
              PaulF

Comment

• John of Phoenix
                • Jun 2001

rasmussen is crap.

Comment

• Lew Barrett
                  Landlocked
                  • Dec 2005

For each and every "fact" there is an "alternate fact."

Link

Polls are handy when they go your way, annoying when they don't.

Gallup

Negative polls are fake news.

And just to be fair and balanced.....

To the Trenches!

When you google "Trump popularity on the rise, this is the first thing you get, a link to his acceptability at its apex.

Sky, you are a tonic!

Comment

• Lew Barrett
                    Landlocked
                    • Dec 2005

SB provokes for sport.
                    Seems so, but I'm not always convinced of this. I think I've seen (and I'm not alone in this observation) SB become more hardened in his views and less flexible in accepting how quickly things are moving over the last weeks.

SB, along with Cris, johnw and a few other folks were early to see the Trump victory. I was hoping that Hillary would win but was always queasy about that possibility and especially uncomfortable early this summer when the Democratic National Committee was outed for favoritism.

I'm less queasy about the push back against Trump than I was about a Democratic victory. I take that as a good sign since I've learned to trust my inner feelings (inner voice) a great deal over the course of my lifetime. Actually acting on my inner voice is a skill that has taken years to
                    come to fruition, but that voice has been there as a constant companion for decades and the trick for me is to hear it.

Credit to reading the mood of the electorate to all who did, but there are new voices being raised now. No credit to America's woefully inadequate educational system, something that needs to be a first priority when the ship is righted. Betsy DeVos is the proof that they worry about smart Americans. They can't do without the ignorant ones, and that is something important that needs immediate fixing.

Working on education needs to be a priority and is necessary to redeem and foster the promise of America. Totalitarianism thrives on ignorance.

Comment

• Canoez
                      Did I say that out loud?
                      • Sep 2007

Listen to the Little Voice. It knows.
                      "The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
                      -William A. Ward

Comment

• Lew Barrett
                        Landlocked
                        • Dec 2005

The little voice is whispering that there is no Deep State but there are Deep Traitors.

Comment

• Canoez
                          Did I say that out loud?
                          • Sep 2007

Originally posted by Lew Barrett
                          The little voice is whispering that there is no Deep State but there are Deep Traitors.
                          Listen to the Little Voice. It knows.
                          "The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
                          -William A. Ward

Comment

• Lew Barrett
                            Landlocked
                            • Dec 2005

The Little Voice knows.

I learned to listen to it when my first wife and I were going through our divorce. It kept telling me to look within myself for resolution and happiness. It insisted I not blame others for my failure to have a grasp of the events swirling around me. I' don't think I've held so many conversations with myself since then, but it taught me to seek out the uncomfortable spot inside and explore it with all the objectivity I might muster.

That's the trick for me, and the message I have to heed. Unfortunately and even with all that background experience, I still bought a large wooden yacht and a new BMW M5 but those were just more opportunities to learn the value of introspection, and patience.

Attaque à outrance just feels right!

Comment

• TomF
                              Recalcitrant Heretic
                              • Jun 2003

Don't mistake "listening to the Little Voice" and "thinking with the little head."
                              If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

Comment

Working...