PDA

View Full Version : The world's most absurd headline

Norman Bernstein
02-09-2017, 08:37 PM
"Investigators Say French Police Who Sodomized Black Man With A Baton Did So By Accident"

No kiddin'!

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/paris-police-brutality-sodomy_us_589cc442e4b04061313c43fd?mpl7nri7lbhx2mx 6r&

Ian McColgin
02-09-2017, 08:51 PM
Especially considering the very special place France has in the hearts of US black intellectuals, this is a shocking story. But there are people, and not just racists, who use their police positions for their sexual deviance in every place there are police.

CWSmith
02-09-2017, 08:52 PM
Sad. Someone should talk to them about their latent homosexuality.

C. Ross
02-09-2017, 10:19 PM
Because my daughter lives in Paris I try to follow these stories closely.

The Paris suburbs have challenges. There's lots of historical reasons why. I've never been to that suburb, but I've been to several, including the street in Saint Denis where the November 2015 murderers holed up. We may think assimilation is inadequate in the U.S., but our melting pot success seems brilliant compared to France, I'm afraid.

This is a ghastly story, if true. I hope justice is done.

Flying Orca
02-10-2017, 09:15 AM
Well, you know, things accidentally get up people's butts all the time, or at least that's the story one repeatedly hears in emergency rooms. It's amazing how many people slip and fall on a screwdriver or a light bulb or a conveniently shaped vegetable, or accidentally sit on one...

(Not that I intend to make light of this shocking abuse of police authority - I hope these guys are prosecuted and imprisoned.)

TomF
02-10-2017, 09:58 AM
The Paris suburbs have challenges. There's lots of historical reasons why. I've never been to that suburb, but I've been to several, including the street in Saint Denis where the November 2015 murderers holed up. We may think assimilation is inadequate in the U.S., but our melting pot success seems brilliant compared to France, I'm afraid.I agree, Cris. For whatever collection of complicated reasons and histories, the French have had a helluva time dealing with immigrant communities.

It's worth pointing out that this is a direct betrayal of the stated ideals of the French Revolution too. As my profs used to impress upon us, the French Revolution was unique in that it expressly attempted to describe how anyone - anyone - could become a full member within French civil society. The sole criteria were choosing to commit to the ideals of Liberty, Equality, Fraternity .. and to using the French language. It was a full-on rejection of tribalisms and regionalisms and petty systems of local allegiances etc., and a claimed embracing of anyone from anywhere who wished to adopt the philosophical positions of the Revolution.

It is very sad indeed to see how France has struggled with culture and race, really since the time of the Revolution itself.

delecta
02-10-2017, 10:01 AM
A guy told me once, never leave a sledge hammer standing up. He saw a guy fall off a ladder and use your imagination. Not sure if I believe it, but my imagination makes me kick it over.