PDA

View Full Version : Hey, I just fixed it, by accident!

Gib Etheridge
02-08-2017, 05:43 PM
In another thread I asked if anyone else has been seeing only a black square when youtube videos were linked to a post. The answer was yes, and several repairs were suggested, and thank you for the suggestions, but none of them, or any others that I found on Google, worked.

Today when I started the computer one of the fans was noisy, so I unplugged everything, removed the cover, then the fan, and put a drop of oil in the fan and reassembled everything.

When I started the computer again the fan was nearly silent, back to normal, but the screen told me that I had done something to the bios and offered to restore to a previous restoration point where everything worked as it should. I did it and lo and behold, no more black screen youtube video links!

Microsoft Security Essentials does a very good job of protecting my computer, so I doubt that a virus had found it's way aboard, and that leaves me thinking that the black screens were the result of one of Microsoft's automatic updates. I'll probably never know, but if it happens again I'll restore to today's settings and see what happens.

Hope this is helpful.

seanz
02-08-2017, 07:40 PM
Sometimes the updates stuff around (as technical as i care to be these days) with the graphics a little, or so I've noticed.

Vince Brennan
02-08-2017, 09:04 PM
Probably a JAVA update did you in.

Bob Adams
02-09-2017, 07:43 AM
Don't want to deflate you, but mine started working all by itself!