• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Norman Bernstein
    Liberaltarian
    • Nov 2004

Are we traveling backwards in time?

Before you know it, it might be 1920 all over again

Two North Dakota Representatives have some pretty outdated ideas for how women should be spending their Sunday mornings. In their defense of North Dakota’s “Blue Laws” ― which require some businesses to open late on Sunday mornings and some businesses to stay closed altogether ― Representatives Bernie Satrom and Vernon Laning seemed to express that Sunday mornings should be spent time traveling back to the norms of the 1950s rather than running errands.

According to Satrom, women should spend their Sunday mornings bringing their husbands breakfast in bed.

Satrom said that Sundays should be devoted to “spending time with your wife, your husband...Making him breakfast, bringing it to him in bed and then after that go take your kids for a walk.”

Rep. Laning also chimed in with some sexist commentary.

“I don’t know about you, but my wife has no problem spending everything I earn in 6 and a half days,” he said. “And I don’t think it hurts at all to have a half day off.”
    "Reason and facts are sacrificed to opinion and myth. Demonstrable falsehoods are circulated and recycled as fact. Narrow minded opinion refuses to be subjected to thought and analysis. Too many now subject events to a prefabricated set of interpretations, usually provided by a biased media source. The myth is more comfortable than the often difficult search for truth."

• CWSmith
    New Hampshire
    • Nov 2008

Re: Are we traveling backwards in time?

...women should spend their Sunday mornings bringing their husbands breakfast in bed.
    Here I thought they were suppose to go to church. I'm not sure you can do both.

In answer to your question, yes, we are going backwards. We live in the TV age - we get our social values from old TV shows and our police training from new TV shows. We are harmed by both.
    "Where you live in the world should not determine whether you live in the world." - Bono

"Live in such a way that you would not be ashamed to sell your parrot to the town gossip." - Will Rogers

"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others." - Groucho Marx

Comment

• Reynard38
      • Sep 2009

It's North Dakota. You expected anything else?

And yes, many in this country are devolving. It's been happening since Reagan, and the pace is accelerating. Just visit a Walmart for evidence.
      Fight Entropy, build a wooden boat!

Comment

• bobbys
        • Jun 2009

As a yute I liked everything but jewish delis and news stands and bakeries being closed on Sunday...

After church I made the rounds to get the Bergen record, the NYdaily news, bagels, and pastrami on rye.

Comment

• Canoeyawl
          • Jun 2003

Fanny Brice - Cooking Breakfast For The One I Love (Billy Rose / Henry Tobias ), Victor 1930_______________________________FANNY BRICE (occasionally spelled ...

Comment

• amish rob
            Emperor For Life
            • Mar 2010

Are we not men? We are DEVO!

Peace,
            General Boy

Comment

• Garret
              Hills of Vermont
              • Apr 2005