PDA

View Full Version : Would you be willing to visit any of the countries on Trump Imigration Ban?

genglandoh
02-05-2017, 02:34 PM
Assuming you were asked to go on a 2 week business trip to these countries would you go?
I would not because they are just to dangerous.
Countries on Trumps travel ban.
1. Libya
2. Sudan
3. Yemen
4. Syria
5. Iran
6. Iraq
7. Somalia

CWSmith
02-05-2017, 02:35 PM
I would certainly visit Iran. I have several students from there.

Chip-skiff
02-05-2017, 03:02 PM
Assuming you were asked to go on a 2 week business trip to these countries would you go?
1. Libya
2. Sudan
3. Yemen
4. Syria
5. Ohio
6. Iraq
7. Somalia

I'd definitely avoid #5. As Mr. T says, carnage!

Cleveland Violent Crimes

MURDER
RAPE
ROBBERY
ASSAULT

REPORT TOTAL

RATE PER 1,000

Population 321,418,820

United States Violent Crimes

MURDER
RAPE
ROBBERY
ASSAULT

REPORT TOTAL

RATE PER 1,000

LeeG
02-05-2017, 03:06 PM
Yeah, you might get the ISIS virus traveling to those places, I hear militant Salafism is really big in Iran.

CWSmith
02-05-2017, 03:07 PM
^ :) Chip, you are bad! :)

isla
02-05-2017, 03:08 PM
I would visit Iran because I have some old friends there. I would also visit Sudan, at least Khartoum and the Red Sea coast. The inland area towards the Chad border is a no-go area, but otherwise Sudan has a very low crime rate. There are parts of New York, Chicago and LA that I would be reluctant to visit.

Ian McColgin
02-05-2017, 03:17 PM
Back when I traveled I got to Libya, Iran, Iraq, and Syria. But forty five years ago things were rather different. Culturally I felt most at home in Iran and I hope their thralldom to a theocracy will come to an end in my life time.

TomF
02-05-2017, 03:25 PM
I tend to not want to vacation in active war zones or regimes which are otherwise currently producing refugees. . For the same reason, I understand why people might want to leave there for their own safety.

Garret
02-05-2017, 03:29 PM
I might have gone to any of them - before Trump started his ad campaign for ISIS (aka the ban) - but not now.

pcford
02-05-2017, 03:29 PM
geng,
Except for Somalia, Yemen and Sudan, I've been to them all.

JimD
02-05-2017, 03:34 PM
I have little interest in visiting any of them. If I were forced to go to one of them it would be Sudan.

bobbys
02-05-2017, 04:09 PM
If I had to go on business like to trade baseball cards I would go to IRAN.

The Iranians I have met seem to be very smart and nice.

too bad their leaders are bat chit crazy, in fact their leaders seem to be the same as our democrats, they hate Israel, america,Christians, the Dallas Cowboys and Apple pie.

john welsford
02-05-2017, 04:19 PM
If I had to go on business like to trade baseball cards I would go to IRAN.

The Iranians I have met seem to be very smart and nice.

too bad their leaders are bat chit crazy, in fact their leaders seem to be the same as our democrats, they hate Israel, america,Christians, the Dallas Cowboys and Apple pie.

My country has regular trade dealings with Iran, there are food items on our supermarket shelves that come from there, we've exported sheep meat to them, our military had a presence there for a while providing engineering know how in building earthquake resistant civil infrastructure and we seem to get along just fine. No religious overtones other than us providing Halal style meat processing.
My take is that if you poke someone with a sharp stick they'll get annoyed, if you smile and shake their hand they will be your friends.

John Welsford

Duncan Gibbs
02-05-2017, 04:33 PM
I've had a few Iranian work colleagues in my time and interestingly they've all stated that most of the population is now (silently) atheist because of the theocratic government they've had to suffer under. I dare say when that government finally does get replaced, Iran will probably be only of the most liberal and secular nations on the planet.

Lovely people, and bizarre why anyone would make such people suffer under a misbegotten and evil policy such as Trumpty Dumpty's. Oh yeah! It's a dog whistle for ignorants and racists.

Captain Intrepid
02-05-2017, 04:40 PM
Depends on the part of each country. You always have to be careful when traveling to violent ignorant countries. For example, there are parts of the USA I'd rather not visit for my own safety either, parts where the citizens don't feel safe unless they're heavily armed. Some of them talk about their crippling fear and need to pack on this very board. If the citizens don't feel safe going to the grocery store or having a nap, hardly seems like the sort of place for a civilized person to visit.

Chris Coose
02-05-2017, 04:53 PM
You live in one of the most violent geographies on the planet. What is your problem? Maybe you should be out cleaning up your neighborhood.

Rich Jones
02-05-2017, 05:03 PM
Hell, I don't even drive the 75 miles to Canada....

PeterSibley
02-05-2017, 05:08 PM
1. Libya
2. Sudan
3. Yemen
4. Syria
5. Iran
6. Iraq
7. Somalia

Like others Iran would be high on my list.

ahp
02-05-2017, 05:24 PM
I would visit Iran.

WX
02-05-2017, 05:53 PM
My country has regular trade dealings with Iran, there are food items on our supermarket shelves that come from there, we've exported sheep meat to them, our military had a presence there for a while providing engineering know how in building earthquake resistant civil infrastructure and we seem to get along just fine. No religious overtones other than us providing Halal style meat processing.
My take is that if you poke someone with a sharp stick they'll get annoyed, if you smile and shake their hand they will be your friends.

John Welsford
A good rule for life in general and my new sig.:)

Too Little Time
02-05-2017, 07:35 PM
I tend to not want to vacation in active war zones or regimes which are otherwise currently producing refugees. . For the same reason, I understand why people might want to leave there for their own safety.
I have similar feelings.

There are a lot nicer places to vacation. And a lot nicer places to do business. This has nothing to do with politics or religion.

Domesticated_Mr. Know It All
02-05-2017, 08:53 PM
After my visit to Mexico, I have no desire to leave The USA.......ever.

C. Ross
02-05-2017, 08:53 PM
Iran definitely.

Maybe Iraq. A good friend visited Iraq, specifically Kurdistan 30 km from Mosul, in late October. He had a good visit, and if I had the same personal connections he had there, I'd go. (He and I and others visited Cuba together in early December, another country on the suspicion list.)

I have Somali friends, but I wouldn't visit while it remains lawless.

leikec
02-05-2017, 09:03 PM
Hell, I don't even drive the 75 miles to Canada....

I was so excited to get my enhanced license when I relocated to Michigan, but my Canadian relatives are always coming here, so I've barely been there since I moved.

Jeff C

Jim Bow
02-05-2017, 09:11 PM
As of 6:00 pm, the American wrestlers are headed to Tehran.

BrianY
02-05-2017, 10:33 PM
I never had any interest in going to that part of the world, but If a had to choose one, I'd go to Iraq - the cradle of civilization.