The Mighty Pippin
    Mirror 30141
    Looe
    Dragon KA93
  • Paul Pless
    pinko commie tree hugger
    • Oct 2003

Re: Prøn (Record Breaking)

the equivalent of 'snugged down' in that pic eh?
    i love these boats that sail on the cutting edge these days
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Comment

• Figment
      Gluten Enthusiast
      • Dec 2001

"snugged down" my ass, that thing is flying. Spray from the bow wave is landing BEHIND the transom.

Sailing about 105 degrees off the true wind with the boom about 25 degrees off center.... she's probably hovering around 1.25x windspeed.
      People today will buy a car with square wheels as long as the steering wheel is heated.

Comment

• Paul Pless
        pinko commie tree hugger
        • Oct 2003

that's what i'm saying!
        heavily reefed main, flying her smallest and most inboard headsail. . .
        Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Comment

• Rum_Pirate
          Banned
          • Apr 2007

Unfortunately I can only see a solid black rectangle.

Comment

• Gerarddm
            #RESIST
            • Feb 2010

I have to believe that sailing like that hour after hour must be physically exhausting.
            Gerard>
            Albuquerque, NM

Next election, vote against EVERY Republican, for EVERY office, at EVERY level. Be patriotic, save the country.

Comment

• Figment
              Gluten Enthusiast
              • Dec 2001

I have to believe that he must be friggin DEAF by now.

"snugged down" in my lexicon is more like this...
              People today will buy a car with square wheels as long as the steering wheel is heated.

Comment

• CWSmith
                New Hampshire
                • Nov 2008

I know I've said that the AC cats leave me disinterested.

However, that is freakin' awesome! That is some serious high-speed sailing.
                "Where you live in the world should not determine whether you live in the world." - Bono

"Live in such a way that you would not be ashamed to sell your parrot to the town gossip." - Will Rogers

"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others." - Groucho Marx

Comment

• Hwyl
                  Gareth
                  • Jan 2003

Yes 49 days....I remember when 80 days seemed unattainable, the Vendee globe boats was won in 74 days, singlehanded and no outside weather routing. Knox Johnston took 312 days

Comment

• Sailor
                    Senior Member #4610
                    • Feb 2002

I can't imagine what a sailor from 150 years ago would have thought had something like this flashed across his bow.
                    If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.
                    -Henry David Thoreau-

Comment

• amish rob
                      Emperor For Life
                      • Mar 2010

I maintain that I don't want to sail on any boat I need to wear a crash helmet on.

I am a long time fan of multis. I really like the old fashioned tied together canoes. They appeal to me. I especially like trimarans, or double outriggers. I just do. I like shunting proas, too, because it is such a cool way to sail.

The snarling beasts that modern multis have become scare the boots off me!

I imagine, though, if the crew of America had figured out a way to get her up on foils, they would have...

Peace,
                      Emperor For Life

Comment

• John Meachen
                        • Jan 2004

Admittedly this one was fully crewed,but as we had a thread here about it last week it shouldn't have been forgotten by now.Forty days to get round.

A good series of results for France because Armel le Clea'ch did rather well too in the Vendee Globe.

Comment

• john welsford
                          • Sep 2002

Originally posted by Sailor
                          I can't imagine what a sailor from 150 years ago would have thought had something like this flashed across his bow.
                          No need to invoke the modern, although I do appreciate what you are saying. Just think of what the European sailors in their clumsy dirty bottomed square riggers must have thought when a Melanesian Proa went past them at 20 knots! They were at that time the fastest sailing vessels on the planet.

John Welsford
                          An expert is but a beginner with experience.

Comment

• Rum_Pirate
                            Banned
                            • Apr 2007

Originally posted by john welsford
                            No need to invoke the modern, although I do appreciate what you are saying. Just think of what the European sailors in their clumsy dirty bottomed square riggers must have thought when a Melanesian Proa went past them at 20 knots! They were at that time the fastest sailing vessels on the planet.

John Welsford
                            I agree that the Proa's were at that time the fastest sailing vessels on the planet.

But horses for courses, and take into account load.

Square rigs allowed the fitting of many small sails to create a large total sail area to drive large ships.
                            Fore-and-aft could be sailed with fewer crew and were efficient working to windward or reaching, but creating a large total sail area required large sails, which could cause the sails and cordage to break more easily under the wind.
                            18th century warships would often achieve tops speeds of 12–13 knots (22–24 km/h), although average speeds over long distances were as little as half that.
                            Some
                            clipper ships that had square rigs and for whom speed was critical could be much faster; for example Cutty Sark could make 17 knots (31 km/h).

Comment

• john welsford
                              • Sep 2002

Originally posted by Rum_Pirate
                              I agree that the Proa's were at that time the fastest sailing vessels on the planet.

But horses for courses, and take into account load.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Square_rig
                              Agreed, but bear in mind what the very first European ships in that area were like, yes they carried huge loads and the proas didnt but then, the vessel in the OP doesnt either.
                              A few weeks ago I climbed aboard, walked around, and marvelled at a full sized replica of Magellans ship, and for speed, those proas would have been like flickering dragonflies in comparison.

John Welsford
                              An expert is but a beginner with experience.

Comment

Working...