PDA

View Full Version : BROTM Thread. Walking.

amish rob
02-01-2017, 08:50 PM
What's the word on walking?

I mean, what's your walking routine? I, for example, walk somewhat like a toddler or dog. I am very much an open ended meanderer. With no agenda generally beyond moving around and seeing stuff. And I will stop and look at stuff.

Jogging or running count, of course, but just AREN'T walking. Really. Those are for getting somewhere. :)

Anyway.

Peace,
Emperor For Life pt. 2 The Lost World

Jimmy W
02-01-2017, 09:03 PM
I used to do a lot of hiking. Of course that was to get somewhere, but the goal was to get out and see new things, not really to get somewhere. Also I almost always day hiked, so as soon as I got there, I turned around and went back. I always took a camera and stopped to look at and photograph interesting things. I don't do it so much any more, but still do sometimes.

Paul Pless
02-01-2017, 09:08 PM
i do now what jimmy used to do
'course i live in a park which helps - lots of wildlife to see
right now, there's one open spot in the lake behind our house which has no ice, it's here a spring bubble up in the lake
its about one acre in size and during daylight hours there must be 200 to 300 water fowl in it or standing on its edge
pretty amazing
pretty amazing amount of frozen bird **** on the ice
pretty amazingly loud

L.W. Baxter
02-01-2017, 09:17 PM
I am a walker. I mostly walk to think and daydream, not so much to sight-see. So, I tend to walk an established route over and over, doesn't matter.

When I was a kid, I walked barefoot so much that I could actually run flat out, barefoot on gravel.

These days I can't step on a thistle without wincing and tiptoeing back to safety like a ninny.

Lew Barrett
02-01-2017, 09:19 PM
I like watching people walk.

Jimmy W
02-01-2017, 09:33 PM
I also spent a lot of time barefoot when young. I could walk and run on gravel, and hot asphalt where the hot sticky tar stuck to your feet. Paul, I noticed a huge flock of snow geese in a field near here this morning. I took the bike and rode down a couple of dirt roads about 3/4 mile to get near there. I was still a couple of hundred yards from the flock, but they saw me and flew to another field closer to my house. Probably at least a thousand geese in the flock and very noisy especially when on the move. Late in the afternoon, they returned to where I spooked them earlier.

Duncan Gibbs
02-01-2017, 09:35 PM
My nickname at university was The Flâneur, but that was Melbourne and there really isn't anywhere other to walk around here, other than the estate of Languishing Heights (our hilly five acres). Even that's too hot right now.

amish rob
02-01-2017, 09:41 PM
We live less than a mile from my wife's maternal grandparents, so we walk around in places she's been walking since she was a child, and I've been walking around since I met my wife.

We still walk on the hot asphalt barefoot for fun. Well, I do. :)

Birds will always stop me in my tracks on a walk.

I once stepped on a baby rattlesnake barefooted. That's the day I learned I can jump 879 feet straight up in the air.:)

Peace,
Robert

AnalogKid
02-01-2017, 10:36 PM
I live on a small crescent-type road, but the main road it's off is a dead-end - it literally plunges into the sea, finishing in a boat ramp. So any trip by bike or car is always in the same direction.

It's nice to walk instead and get out using a the tracks that lead in either direction through steep and dense bush to the adjacent bays and beyond. The only other option is to take the kayak or paddleboard and head out into the harbour.

I also like to walk around the city, or any city as it happens. I like to get out of the car or off of the bus/train and move around a city on foot wherever possible.

I used to walk in the hills a lot, and thought I'd do even more in NZ, but family life got in the way. No the lad is old enough to stay home I'm hopeful we'll get to do a few of the long distance trails around the country at last.

David G
02-02-2017, 12:43 AM
I walk the dog in the morning. There's a gravel road/alley not far from us, with trees, grass, and blackberry bushes. I enjoy it - even when the East wind howls and snow stings the face. Birds. Squirrels. Raccoons. Possums. And the rare coyote, if we get out early enough. Dog meanders more than I do. Sometimes, if it's quite early, I'll let him off leash so he can tear around. I don't tear, I amble or walk briskly.

Glen Longino
02-02-2017, 01:19 AM
I like watching people walk.

:) I like watching people walk or do any other kind of work!
Early on in life I heard, "Never run when you can walk, never walk when you can stand, never stand when you can sit, never sit when you can lie".
Once you've tasted laziness, you will never accept work again!
I cultivate laziness as other men cultivate roses or orchids and I'm as proud as they are with much less expense!

PeterSibley
02-02-2017, 02:56 AM
I was walking around 7 km / 4 miles a day until I had my brain surgery, I've been a bit slack since and now it's in the middle of very hot summer the slackness continues. A decent long walk planned for our delightful Winter.