PDA

View Full Version : Trump's State visit to UK.

birlinn
01-29-2017, 10:06 AM
There is an on-line petition doing the rounds of the UK at the moment, whilst accepting that Trump be allowed to visit the UK, it would not be appropriate to accord him a State visit.
I personally would not wish to inflict this ignorant pig on Her Majesty.

Over 285,000 signatures, and climbing rapidly, so parliament have to take notice.

Lew Barrett
01-29-2017, 10:11 AM
Laughter is the best medicine, but quarantine helps assure you don't allow the afflicted party entrance in the first place.

Sky Blue
01-29-2017, 10:15 AM
Laughter is the best medicine, but quarantine helps assure you don't allow the afflicted party entrance in the first place.

That train has already left the station, Lew.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4168820/Farage-suggests-UK-copy-Trump-s-immigration-ban.html

birlinn
01-29-2017, 10:20 AM

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4168820/Farage-suggests-UK-copy-Trump-s-immigration-ban.html
But are the tracks in place?

Sky Blue
01-29-2017, 10:23 AM
But are the tracks in place?

I would imagine there are citizens throughout Europe, especially in Germany and France, that would consider Trump's Order to be wise policy. Just a hunch.

Peerie Maa
01-29-2017, 10:26 AM

Daily Wail and the Swivel Eyed Loon all in one post.
Remarkable.

birlinn
01-29-2017, 10:27 AM
Sadly, Farage and the Daily Wail do have their followers.
However the petition is now up to 321,500 signatures, and climbing rapidly.

Sky Blue
01-29-2017, 10:30 AM
Sadly, Farage and the Daily Wail do have their followers.

If Brexit is any measure, his "followers" represent a majority voting block in Britain. I recognize that you gentlemen love to hate the US, but perhaps it is time to focus on your own little messes a little closer to home.

Peerie Maa
01-29-2017, 10:32 AM
I would imagine there are citizens throughout Europe, especially in Germany and France, that would consider Trump's Order to be wise policy. Just a hunch.

Yes, unfortunately there are racists and Neo Nazis throughout Europe.
Some even stand for election.

birlinn
01-29-2017, 10:33 AM
Who said we hate the US?
Or is Trump THE US in your view?

Peerie Maa
01-29-2017, 10:35 AM
If Brexit is any measure, his "followers" represent a majority voting block in Britain. I recognize that you gentlemen love to hate the US, but perhaps it is time to focus on your own little messes a little closer to home.

We don't "hate" the US, hate is too strong a word. We just hold the POTUS and his supporters in contempt.
Now as to the racists and religious bigots, that is a different matter.

C. Ross
01-29-2017, 10:35 AM
Farage?! Ha ha ha!

Sky Blue
01-29-2017, 10:38 AM
Nobody laughs at Farage anymore in the UK. He may be their most influential politician. The results speak for themselves.

Gerarddm
01-29-2017, 10:41 AM
Going to be a lot of people hitting the streets in protest wherever he shows up in the world.

Peerie Maa
01-29-2017, 10:49 AM
Nobody laughs at Farage anymore in the UK. He may be their most influential politician. The results speak for themselves.

You should visit again for a week or so.

Actually you might be right, no one bothers to laugh as he is a spent force, a non entity now. Even his party is on self destruct having lost its purpose.

From the Indy

Mr Farage said that by Friday, opinion of Mr Trump in the UK was “kind of picking up” and that “people are saying: ‘Wow. This guy gets on and does things.’”
A poll by Sky News (http://news.sky.com/story/donald-trump-presidency-a-boost-for-post-brexit-trade-deal-poll-10743052) earlier this week showed 52 per cent of Britons thought Mr Trump’s victory would be advantageous for the UK in negotiating a good trade deal with the US.
But the same survey also showed 72 per cent of British people thought Theresa May should call out Mr Trump’s behaviour, even at the risk of damaging her relationship with the president. Nearly 40 per cent of people thought overall his presidency would be bad for the UK.

Three hundred and twenty thousand and climbing? Picking up from where?

Jim Mahan
01-29-2017, 10:54 AM
At SFO last night, after dropping Her off for Her trip to Thailand, she texted to say that the airport was full of protesters. She said it was a zoo.

How long before the Dumphock-in-chief claims the protesters are giving him adulation and are really protesting immigrants?

bob winter
01-29-2017, 11:11 AM
The Queen should be spared having to meet Trump. She just went through a nasty head cold, maybe she will suffer a relapse.

Sky Blue
01-29-2017, 11:48 AM
The airports with large protest crowds are in Clintonland. Other airports outside of Clintonland have been said to have "a few protestors," or "dozens."

Hardly the mass movement elite media is making it out to be. <pfft>

birlinn
01-29-2017, 12:27 PM
440,260 and counting.

Sky Blue
01-29-2017, 12:42 PM
Looks like the Administration might have to rethink that fast-track trade deal that Downing Street was planning to use as leverage in the leave negotiations. Trump is a counter-puncher, and won't sit for a second round of insults and virtue signaling from Brits on an internal domestic policy matter. This keyboard activism could prove very costly to Britain, but hey, if it is a price they want to pay, then so be it.

oznabrag
01-29-2017, 12:49 PM
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/4a/2e/90/4a2e9078e9f8db4bf7d715e511dce1ff.jpg

birlinn
01-29-2017, 01:22 PM
503,000 and counting.

Lew Barrett
01-29-2017, 01:23 PM
Looks like the Administration might have to rethink that fast-track trade deal that Downing Street was planning to use as leverage in the leave negotiations. Trump is a counter-puncher, and won't sit for a second round of insults and virtue signaling from Brits on an internal domestic policy matter. This keyboard activism could prove very costly to Britain, but hey, if it is a price they want to pay, then so be it.

How many allies can Trump irritate with abandon before our government is viewed as more than isolationists and instead, we become truly isolated? Trump's response to protest will be to deny a good deal to the UK because he's got significant numbers of people annoyed? Is he really the cry baby pictured in John's post?

birlinn
01-29-2017, 01:24 PM
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/4a/2e/90/4a2e9078e9f8db4bf7d715e511dce1ff.jpg
Shouldn't he be throwing his toys around?

L.W. Baxter
01-29-2017, 01:28 PM
How many allies can Trump irritate with abandon before our government is viewed as more than isolationists and instead, we become truly isolated?

All good things flow from the U.S.A., they better not get lippy if they want any of this!

birlinn
01-29-2017, 01:32 PM
516,000 and counting.

C. Ross
01-29-2017, 01:34 PM
All good things flow from the U.S.A., they better not get lippy if they want any of this!

America First. Only America First.

birlinn
01-29-2017, 01:35 PM
Perhaps you had better look at the US balance of trade figures.

L.W. Baxter
01-29-2017, 01:38 PM
Perhaps you had better look at the US balance of trade figures.

There goes that relationship!!!

isla
01-29-2017, 02:21 PM

You obviously don't read the Guardian :d..

From January 6th..
Four weeks ago Nigel Farage declared that the chief joy of no longer being Ukip leader was not “having to deal with low-grade people every day”. This week Nigel announced that he will be taking calls from the public every day from Monday to Thursday on the radio station LBC.

Whether the public are “low-grade people” or something else will doubtless be one for the HOT TOPIC DEBATE section of the nightly running order on Nigel’s new show. As someone who once saw him blow out a pub full of his own crestfallen supporters to go and have fish and chips with reality TV dimbulb Joey Essex – and lack even the courtesy to tell them – I have my suspicions that Nigel doesn’t say what he really thinks quite as much as he says he does.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/jan/06/nigel-farage-shock-jock-trump-middle-east-power

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2015/apr/08/nigel-farage-seems-nervous-even-his-supporters-cant-ask-questions

Peerie Maa
01-29-2017, 02:27 PM
You obviously don't read the Guardian :d..

Of course not. Daily Fail or nothing.

birlinn
01-29-2017, 02:51 PM
Now over 606,000.
What's the betting a million by midnight?

skuthorp
01-29-2017, 03:10 PM
London's mayor and the Labour leader aren't keen. Can you imagine the security kerfuffle and the local chaos. If he comes a lay day for all work in central London might be the best option.
Send Donald the bill.

Sky Blue
01-29-2017, 03:30 PM
If the British disinvite Trump, or downgrade the official dignities associated with his visit, all over internal domestic security policy of the US and especially if that policy continues to enjoy the support of the American public, then the Special Relationship will be at an end. Despite the words of the politicians, it seems clear that many in Britain would like to reevaluate the relationship. Perhaps some in the US might well feel the same.

American memory of efforts made and lives lost to save Europe from itself (twice) remains strong here in the US, as does the sense of ingratitude on the part of Europeans that many Americans feel for what this country has done for Europe over the last century or so.

Let us not forget that this is a nation that went to war with Britain just less than 250 years ago.

American and European cultures have diverged substantially over the last 30 years, socially in particular, but also politically. It would not surprise me to see that trend continue to the point where America might not defend Europe from aggressors simply on principle or in the cause of shared ideals or values.

There is a deepening of neo-isolationist sentiment here in the US that has not been seen since the days of the old Taft paleoconservative movement that died away with the rise of Goldwater internationalism. Things change.

bob winter
01-29-2017, 03:35 PM
This "special relationship" only exists because of Trump's dislike of the EU. I wouldn't trust the guy.

Sky Blue
01-29-2017, 04:00 PM
All he reads is the Daily Mail

I read the Telegraph, the Guardian, the Daily Mail, the Express and BBC reporting, daily, on stories of interest to me. These institutions invariably cover US news more objectively, and with less partisan bias, than legacy media outlets here in the US, often reporting story elements that are missing from the reporting here. It was actually my regular exposure to legitimate British media several years ago that has caused me to become a trenchant critic of media institutions here in the US.

I will also parse through the Mirror for a bit of titillation, when the mood strikes, and I am an international subscriber to The Spectator (est. 1828), which is the oldest continually operating periodical in the English-speaking world (iirc). That subscription costs me nearly $275.00 annually.

Peerie Maa
01-29-2017, 04:07 PM
Now over 606,000.
What's the betting a million by midnight?

687,000, updating like a sweep hand on a clock

Peerie Maa
01-29-2017, 04:11 PM
I read the Telegraph, the Guardian, the Daily Mail, the Express and BBC reporting, daily, on stories of interest to me. These institutions invariably cover US news more objectively, and with less partisan bias, than legacy media outlets here in the US, often reporting story elements that are missing from the reporting here. It was actually my regular exposure to legitimate British media several years ago that has caused me to become a trenchant critic of media institutions here in the US.

I will also parse through the Mirror for a bit of titillation, when the mood strikes, and I am an international subscriber to The Spectator (est. 1828), which is the oldest continually operating periodical in the English-speaking world (iirc). That subscription costs me nearly $275.00 annually.

So you chose to ignore the more reputable balanced broad sheets and only post from the tabloid Daily Wail.
Conformation bias or what?

Peerie Maa
01-29-2017, 04:13 PM
The petition which reads

Prevent Donald Trump from making a State Visit to the United Kingdom.Donald Trump should be allowed to enter the UK in his capacity as head of the US Government, but he should not be invited to make an official State Visit because it would cause embarrassment to Her Majesty the Queen.

stands at 697,200

Sky Blue
01-29-2017, 04:43 PM
Seems to me that the Petition to ban Trump from the UK when he first announced his candidacy got a lot more sign on, a lot quicker than this. Werent there like 4 million signatures in just a couple of days? Why is this thing dragging?

Peerie Maa
01-29-2017, 04:48 PM
Seems to me that the Petition to ban Trump from the UK when he first announced his candidacy got a lot more sign on, a lot quicker than this. Werent there like 4 million signatures in just a couple of days? Why is this thing dragging?

735,000 in less than a day? A real drag. :D

David G
01-29-2017, 04:49 PM
A Scots response --

http://www.stuff.co.nz/the-press/news/88778653/Scathing-Donald-Trump-poem-wins-New-Zealand-competition?cid=edm%3Astuff%3Adailyheadlines&bid=160887725

oznabrag
01-29-2017, 04:54 PM
A Scots response --

http://www.stuff.co.nz/the-press/news/88778653/Scathing-Donald-Trump-poem-wins-New-Zealand-competition?cid=edm%3Astuff%3Adailyheadlines&bid=160887725

Oh, she's a looker in the Audrey Hepburn style.

A great and scathing wit, to boot!

C. Ross
01-29-2017, 04:55 PM
The idea that a kerfuffle over Trump will change the long-standing relationship between the US and Britain is silly.

Perhaps Trump will usher in a new era of isolationism, nationalism, and nativism. But you don't unravel a 70 year old consensus overnight. Consumers really like what globalism has given them. When it becomes clear that deindustrialization is due to technology and not to globalism, much of the appeal of trump evaporates.

Every indication is that Trump will be a short term phenomenon. President Trump won a narrow victory, and has historically weak public support already. And most important, this alt right revolution has been saddled with an unfortunate and weak figurehead. Trump is too unstable, too fragile, and too lacking in focus and stamina needed to maintain direction. And he's just an absurd and combative guy. People are going to tire of him, and his vinegary mouthpieces, rather quickly.

The only question is how effectively and quickly the Democrats and Republicans can cultivate alternative leaders. Foreign leaders know there's a long game, and the American Establishment will respond to the alt right insurgency.

Peerie Maa
01-29-2017, 04:55 PM
A Scots response --

A veritable keeper :D

Poutin', glaikit through this farce,
His mooth wis pursed up like an arse,
His Tangoed coupon glowin' like
A skelped backside.
Despite all his bravado
Trump looked keen ti hide.

P.I. Stazzer-Newt
01-29-2017, 05:03 PM
The text

America, aw whit ye dain?!
How could ye choose a clueless wain
Ti lead yir country? Who wid trust
A man sae vile?!
A racist, sexist eedjit
Wi a $hite hairstyle?

Yet lo, ye votit (michty me!)
Ti hawn’ this walloper the key
Ti pow’r supreme, ti stert his hateful,
Cruel regime.
A cling ti hope that this is aw
Jist wan bad dream.

But naw, the nightmare has come true,
A curse upon rid, white an’ blue,
An’ those who cast oot Bernie
Must feel sitch regret
Fur thinkin’ Mrs. Clinton
Was a safer bet.

So noo we wait ti see unfold
Division an’ intolerance, cold;
A pois’nous bigotry untold
Since Hitler’s rule
As the free world’s hopes an’ dreams
Lie with this fool.

Alas, complainin’ wullnae change
The fact this diddy has free range
Ti ride roughshod ow’r human beings
That fall outside
The cretinous ideals borne of
His ugly pride.

Awch USA, we feel yir woes
An’ pour oor wee herts oot ti those
Who ken this oarange gab$hite isnae
Who they chose,
But jist sit tight; Trump’s cluelessness
Will time expose.

Fur sittin’ there beside Obama
Efter the election drama,
Trump looked like reality
Had finally hit:
Aboot the role of president
He knew Jack $hit.

Poutin’, glaikit through this farce,
His Tangoed coupon glowin’ like
A skelped backside.
Despite all his bravado

Let’s therefur no despair an’ greet,
Or see this outcome as defeat.
Let’s wait an’ watch this bampot
Flap his hawns an’ squirm
When presidential pressures
Crush him like a worm.

Hawd oan ti values you hold dear,
Don’t let this numpty bring yi fear,
His chants of hatred don’t speak fur
The human race.
Love will endure despite this
Oarange-faced disgrace.

So USA, in ma conclusion,
Know we Scots feel your confusion:
We are also chained ti those
Not of oor choosin’.
Stand firm fur unity will break
Through Trump’s delusion.

birlinn
01-29-2017, 05:07 PM

Sky Blue
01-29-2017, 05:13 PM
I actually hope it reaches 6-7 million, and really puts the pressure on pols there to show leadership (one way or the other). It's really quite interesting, this device, that essentially compels pols in Britain to weigh in on the internal domestic security policies of another country.

Rather dangerous, in a way. Almost punitive. I mean, it's completely one-sided. No one is really asking that the matter be "debated." Everyone knows what the "right" answer is. Again, this is about compulsion.

I quite frankly don't know that it is terribly healthy for Britain, this bit of theatre,. It's more about making their own pols squirm for the policies of another country.

birlinn
01-29-2017, 05:19 PM
Your internal domestic policies happen to be affecting the citizens of quite a lot of countries, apart from the seven on Trump's list.
One of our Conservative MP's now cannot visit the US, having been born in Iraq.
Punitive?
I hope so.

21,500 in 12 minutes!

Tom Montgomery
01-29-2017, 05:29 PM
If the British disinvite Trump, or downgrade the official dignities associated with his visit, all over internal domestic security policy of the US and especially if that policy continues to enjoy the support of the American public, then the Special Relationship will be at an end. Despite the words of the politicians, it seems clear that many in Britain would like to reevaluate the relationship. Perhaps some in the US might well feel the same.Wasn't The Final Solution also presented as "an internal domestic security policy" that enjoyed the support of the German public?
?

Sky Blue
01-29-2017, 05:37 PM
Your internal domestic policies happen to be affecting the citizens of quite a lot of countries, apart from the seven on Trump's list.
One of our Conservative MP's now cannot visit the US, having been born in Iraq.
Punitive?
I hope so.

21,500 in 12 minutes!

You're misinformed about your MP. Check your media. Also there is a waiver system in place for such persons.

birlinn
01-29-2017, 05:47 PM
There is NOW, for dual nationals from the UK anyway. I wonder if Teresa's displeasure with her new buddy had a result?

Sky Blue
01-29-2017, 05:51 PM
Corbyn is now calling for an outright ban on Trump. These people have lost their minds. Trump is the POTUS. They want to ban him from their country because they disagree with an internal security policy decision of the US.

I don't think I've ever seen anything quite like this before. The people have lost all perspective and proportionality and have become completely consumed by this.

C. Ross
01-29-2017, 05:58 PM
Rather dangerous, in a way. Almost punitive. I mean, it's completely one-sided. No one is really asking that the matter be "debated." Everyone knows what the "right" answer is. Again, this is about compulsion.

Sounds populist. Anti-elitist.

Chris Smith porter maine
01-29-2017, 05:59 PM
Trump is the potus not the supreme leader, in a week he has alienated much of the free world wonder what is up for next week.

Sky Blue
01-29-2017, 06:01 PM
Sounds populist. Anti-elitist.

The purpose is to make everyone go on the record. Nobody wants a "debate." It's Maoist.

Tom Montgomery
01-29-2017, 06:01 PM
You keep harping on this being "an internal security policy decision."

Are you suggesting that under no circumstances should one nation take an official stance opposing such a claim by another nation?

What was The Final Solution presented as if not "an internal security policy decision?"

Sky Blue
01-29-2017, 06:04 PM
Trump campaigned openly on this policy, people. He puts it in place, and the world loses its mind.

This is theatre.

Tom Montgomery
01-29-2017, 06:06 PM
I quite agree that this is theater. A professional confidence man and reality TV star got elected POTUS. Theater is what he does best.

Chris Smith porter maine
01-29-2017, 06:07 PM
No this is the total lack of political leadership some of us feared.

L.W. Baxter
01-29-2017, 06:10 PM
The purpose is to make everyone go on the record. Nobody wants a "debate." It's Maoist.

Not every question is worthy of debate. Do we ask NASA to reconfirm that the earth is a sphere every time a skeptic makes a youtube video? Is it "Maoist" to ostracize holocaust deniers? Do such attitudes deserve a place at the table just because some ignoramuses adopt them?

Trump/Bannon's attitude is primitive. Hearkens back to a world in grainy black and white. We don't need to discuss it. Kick it to the curb and move on.

Sky Blue
01-29-2017, 06:14 PM
What is surprising is the anti-Democratic impulse of the British when they have an objection to something. Talk about authoritarian. You say something we disagree with? We'll petition for your banning. You do an internal policy we object to? We'll petition for your banning.

What a bunch of anti-Democratic nannies. Meanwhile, I'm sure there are no petitions against Putin, Chinese leaders, African dictators.

What a bunch of silly, unserious people.

Tom Montgomery
01-29-2017, 06:16 PM
Trump/Bannon's attitude is primitive. Hearkens back to a world in grainy black and white. We don't need to discuss it. Kick it to the curb and move on.
It is no surprise that Holocaust Rememberance Day was observed by the White House with a statement neglecting to specifically mention Jews and an executive order banning citizens of seven Muslim nations.

L.W. Baxter
01-29-2017, 06:17 PM
A petition is "anti-Democratic"?

And you want to have a "discussion" with serious people?

Tom Montgomery
01-29-2017, 06:19 PM
You seem to be personally hurt by the negative British reaction to your champion's actions, Sky Blue. That is a shame.

Sky Blue
01-29-2017, 06:19 PM
A petition is "anti-Democratic"?And you want to have a "discussion" with serious people?I'm taking a day off from you and LeeG, today, L.W.Check back tomorrow.

Tom Montgomery
01-29-2017, 06:20 PM
A petition is "anti-Democratic"?

And you want to have a "discussion" with serious people?Both hilarious and sad.

L.W. Baxter
01-29-2017, 06:21 PM
I'm taking a day off from you and LeeG, today, L.W.Check back tomorrow.

Duck I says!

L.W. Baxter
01-29-2017, 06:23 PM
Both hilarious and sad.

What did Marx say?

History repeats itself, first as tragedy, then as farce?

This time round is the farce. One can hope.

Chris Coose
01-29-2017, 06:31 PM
I don't think I've ever seen anything quite like this before.

Do try to keep up. Plenty more to come.

skuthorp
01-29-2017, 06:35 PM
Probably getting new instructions............

ccmanuals
01-29-2017, 06:38 PM
It took Obama 8 years to repair the damage done by Bush with regard to the image of the US in the eyes of other nations.

It took Trump less than 30 days to make America the pariah of the world again.

isla
01-29-2017, 06:42 PM

The 2015 petition was launched on Tuesday 6th December, and by Saturday 10th had reached 370,000 signatures.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-35052505

The current petition was launched on Saturday 28th January (Yesterday) and today has reached over 800,000 signatures.
https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/171928

You must have been reading fake news about the 2015 petition :rolleyes:

Hwyl
01-29-2017, 06:47 PM
Click this link to sign the petition "Prevent Donald Trump from making a State Visit to the United Kingdom."

<link removed>

Thanks,
The Petitions team
UK Government and Parliament

I am a British citizen. It was well into the 800,000s when I signed.

John hartmann
01-29-2017, 07:51 PM
The text

America, aw whit ye dain?!
How could ye choose a clueless wain
Ti lead yir country? Who wid trust
A man sae vile?!
A racist, sexist eedjit
Wi a $hite hairstyle?

Yet lo, ye votit (michty me!)
Ti hawn’ this walloper the key
Ti pow’r supreme, ti stert his hateful,
Cruel regime.
A cling ti hope that this is aw
Jist wan bad dream.

But naw, the nightmare has come true,
A curse upon rid, white an’ blue,
An’ those who cast oot Bernie
Must feel sitch regret
Fur thinkin’ Mrs. Clinton
Was a safer bet.

So noo we wait ti see unfold
Division an’ intolerance, cold;
A pois’nous bigotry untold
Since Hitler’s rule
As the free world’s hopes an’ dreams
Lie with this fool.

Alas, complainin’ wullnae change
The fact this diddy has free range
Ti ride roughshod ow’r human beings
That fall outside
The cretinous ideals borne of
His ugly pride.

Awch USA, we feel yir woes
An’ pour oor wee herts oot ti those
Who ken this oarange gab$hite isnae
Who they chose,
But jist sit tight; Trump’s cluelessness
Will time expose.

Fur sittin’ there beside Obama
Efter the election drama,
Trump looked like reality
Had finally hit:
Aboot the role of president
He knew Jack $hit.

Poutin’, glaikit through this farce,
His Tangoed coupon glowin’ like
A skelped backside.
Despite all his bravado

Let’s therefur no despair an’ greet,
Or see this outcome as defeat.
Let’s wait an’ watch this bampot
Flap his hawns an’ squirm
When presidential pressures
Crush him like a worm.

Hawd oan ti values you hold dear,
Don’t let this numpty bring yi fear,
His chants of hatred don’t speak fur
The human race.
Love will endure despite this
Oarange-faced disgrace.

So USA, in ma conclusion,
Know we Scots feel your confusion:
We are also chained ti those
Not of oor choosin’.
Stand firm fur unity will break
Through Trump’s delusion.

Just bloody brilliant....thanks.

lupussonic
01-29-2017, 10:02 PM
Your Buffon won't, he loves us too much.

Arizona Bay
01-29-2017, 10:18 PM
More people signed the petition than attended DFT's inauguration.

isla
01-30-2017, 05:21 AM
More people signed the petition than attended DFT's inauguration.

Now standing at well over 1,000,000 signatures.

birlinn
01-30-2017, 05:42 AM
But Theresa says she will ignore it, of course.
There is a map with the petition site showing how each constituency petitioned. The top scoring ones all seem to be Tory seats....

isla
01-30-2017, 05:54 AM
You're misinformed about your MP. Check your media. Also there is a waiver system in place for such persons.

There is NOW, for dual nationals from the UK anyway. I wonder if Teresa's displeasure with her new buddy had a result?

Seems that Boris intervened to put pressure on Trump for a waiver for Brits..

Foreign Secretary Boris Johnson sought the clarification in anxious calls to senior figures in Mr Trump's team, highlighting the political problems the ban was causing Theresa May's administration.

The Prime Minister had finally told Mr Johnson and Home Secretary Amber Rudd to “make representations” to their US counterparts, after she initially refused to condemn the ban sparking an angry backlash from her own MPs and others.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/muslim-ban-exemption-donald-trump-theresa-may-fall-out-a7552321.html

ccmanuals
01-30-2017, 10:35 AM
reminds me of this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6ouyeycWk8

Peerie Maa
01-30-2017, 11:03 AM
^ can someone please translate?

heimfried
01-30-2017, 12:26 PM

Mr. Johnson told so yesterday. But the US Embassy has another opinion.

The US embassy has appeared to contradict the Government’s claim that British citizens will be mostly exempt from Donald Trump’s travel ban on Muslim majority countries.

Foreign Secretary Boris Johnson said on Sunday night that he had received assurances from the US that the “Muslim ban” would only apply to UK dual nationals travelling from the listed countries to the US.
However a statement issued by the US embassy in London on Monday morning marked as an “urgent notice” said that no visas would be issued to any dual nationals of the countries listed under the “Muslim ban”.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/donald-trump-muslim-ban-uk-dual-nationals-apply-embassy-us-contradicts-a7552911.html

birlinn
01-30-2017, 12:35 PM
Love the way conservatives are tinged with 'Maoist!
What planet is SB on?

isla
01-30-2017, 12:36 PM
^ can someone please translate?

Got hypocrisy much..
http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthread.php?218696-Turning-away-the-refugees/page4 (see #190)

Nicholas Scheuer
01-30-2017, 12:42 PM
Hey, Sky Blue "One-sided" is the same as "Unilateral", the Repugs' favorite way of doing bidnez.

Chris249
01-30-2017, 04:10 PM
What is surprising is the anti-Democratic impulse of the British when they have an objection to something. Talk about authoritarian. You say something we disagree with? We'll petition for your banning. You do an internal policy we object to? We'll petition for your banning.

What a bunch of anti-Democratic nannies. Meanwhile, I'm sure there are no petitions against Putin, Chinese leaders, African dictators.

What a bunch of silly, unserious people.

Your outright and unashamed racism is getting very tedious.

Chris249
01-30-2017, 04:12 PM
I know he does. I love Britain so very dearly as well. I'll be there in a couple of weeks, enjoying London as I always do. I'm gonna have to come up with some good answers for the inevitable questions about Trump.;) Hint - personal arrogance and racism do not make for good answers. You'll have to do much better than you do around here.

PeterSibley
01-30-2017, 04:28 PM
And I suppose the cruel irony for Brits, if they're honest enough and have sufficient integrity to consider it, is that they seek to ban the POTUS from their country, for their outrage over his decision to do the same on behalf of his own nation.

Got hypocrisy much?

Australia has facility to deny visas on character grounds, that may well be the UK's position.

John of Phoenix
01-30-2017, 04:41 PM
Don't forget to wear your big red trump hat. They'll love you. Really.

:D LMAO :D

Whameller
01-30-2017, 05:10 PM
I hold no candle whatsoever for Mr Trump. However, he (regardless of his character flaws) is the head of state of the United Kingdom's key ally and second largest trading partner. As such, it is entirely appropriate for him to be invited to make a State Visit - as the Foreign Secretary made clear to Parliament today. HMG won't back down from that position.

Her Majesty has had to put up with the heads of dubious regimes and/or pretty loathesome characters on such visits before (Faisal of Iraq 1954; Shah of Iran 1959; Hirohito of Japan 1971; Mobutu of Zaire 1973; Suharto of Indonesia 1979; Mugabe of Zimbabwe 1994; Jiang of China 1999; Putin of Russia 2003; Hu of China 2005; Zuma of S Africa 2010; Xi of China 2015). This is the business of diplomacy and, as ever, she does her duty. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_state_visits_received_by_Queen_Elizabeth_I I

That said, the character and actions of the 'Leader of the Free World' and head of state of such a close ally (and one with whom our defence and national security are inextricably interlinked) are bound to be of great interest to the people of the United Kingdom; they will have a bearing on our lives. He is, to put it mildly, a controversial character with some controversial policies - so that interest here in the UK is bound to be considerable and polarising. When I last looked, we still have a tradition of free speech (with some bounds when it comes to things like terrorism, racism, sexism & other -isms) - so some of what is said is bound to be pretty extreme. Of course, the media picks up on that - it's good news and sells papers/airtime/bandwidth.

Look at the petition in context:

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions
(https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions)
it's one of nearly 26,000 currently running. This system is part of the UK democratic system - a way for people to communicate directly with our Government that sidesteps our MPs (we may not agree with or have ready access to our constituency MP as easily). It's a safety valve that allows people to blow off steam without hitting the streets.

'Give status to Police Dogs and Horses as 'Police Officers'' anyone ?

bobbys
01-30-2017, 05:26 PM
Did they ever pay us back from " lend lease". ?.

at least we could get the Benny hill rights.

Chris249
01-30-2017, 05:34 PM
Yes, the final payments were completed in 2006.

Did you ever pay them back for creating the colonies that became your country? Did you ever pay them back for resisting the fascists almost aloine for a couple of years while you got yourselves organised? Did you ever pay them back for forgiving the loans of many other countries and therefore contributing to the world's economy?

Lew Barrett
01-30-2017, 05:36 PM
I haven't followed the whole course of this thread but I heard on NPR just a few minutes ago they're marching in numbers in London.

David G
01-30-2017, 05:40 PM
Hint - personal arrogance and racism do not make for good answers. You'll have to do much better than you do around here.

Sorry... she is honing her skills in an entirely different direction.

Lew Barrett
01-30-2017, 05:53 PM
Yes, the final payments were completed in 2006.

Did you ever pay them back for creating the colonies that became your country? Did you ever pay them back for resisting the fascists almost aloine for a couple of years while you got yourselves organised? Did you ever pay them back for forgiving the loans of many other countries and therefore contributing to the world's economy?

Don't pay any attention to him. He was a quarter finalist in my "who will be the first moron on my ignore list" considerations. However, I sense that this time bobbys was joking. He'll do that. At least, I think he was joking.

There is indeed a special relationship between our lands, and not because politicians say so. Both our nations have been capable of greatness and meanness. It seems to me we're much in synch. More's the pity right now given the populist sentiments our mutual politics have adopted.

isla
01-30-2017, 06:11 PM
I haven't followed the whole course of this thread but I heard on NPR just a few minutes ago they're marching in numbers in London.

Thousands of people have joined protests in London and in cities around the UK..
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-38800337

Whameller
01-31-2017, 04:33 AM
London bubble politics ?

https://order-order.com/2017/01/30/londoners-behind-trump-petition-rest-country-not-fussed/

AussieBarney
01-31-2017, 04:50 AM
Corbyn is now calling for an outright ban on Trump. These people have lost their minds. Trump is the POTUS. They want to ban him from their country because they disagree with an internal security policy decision of the US.

I don't think I've ever seen anything quite like this before. The people have lost all perspective and proportionality and have become completely consumed by this.

Trump is "POTUS" in the US. every where else he is just another man. no more, no less. He has power only in the US and power over US citizens.

isla
01-31-2017, 04:57 AM
London bubble politics ?

https://order-order.com/2017/01/30/londoners-behind-trump-petition-rest-country-not-fussed/

Not surprising really given that the London area has the greatest population density in the UK. It has a very Royalist population who are mortified at the idea of Trump meeting the Queen, and it would be most affected by his visit in terms of crowds, protests, traffic jams, high levels of armed police and all the rest of it.

The map shows a hot spot in Scotland. That's probably me and my mates :d

Chris249
01-31-2017, 04:58 AM
It's funny that Sky reckons that it's fine for the USA to deny entry to thousands of people because of stereotyping, but wrong for the UK to deny entry to one person because of their own acts.

While he is screaming "the US has the right to control who enters its borders" he is whining about the UK exerting the same right. It's his usual racist hypocrisy.

skuthorp
01-31-2017, 05:07 AM
I'd just love to see him refused entry at Heathrow, but he's likely to come and go via a military base and a helicopter to avoid embarrassment.
Queen should deputise Charlie, now of all the royals likely to give Donald the bums rush Charlie is the one.

isla
01-31-2017, 05:17 AM
I'd just love to see him refused entry at Heathrow, but he's likely to come and go via a military base and a helicopter to avoid embarrassment.
Queen should deputise Charlie, now of all the royals likely to give Donald the bums rush Charlie is the one.

Trump doesn't want to meet Charles in case Charles pins him on climate change..

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/01/28/trumps-team-fears-climate-change-differences-prince-charles/

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/donald-trump-prince-charles-climate-change-environment-uk-visit-queen-a7551701.html

skuthorp
01-31-2017, 05:24 AM
All the more reason. Charlie or stay home.................:ycool:

isla
01-31-2017, 06:51 AM
All the more reason. Charlie or stay home.................:ycool:

Quite so. There would be no insult there, getting to meet the future king is quite a privilege. Her Majesty is 90 years old, and she has recently been indisposed due to illness, so I'm sure the government could find an excuse to let her off the hook.

Peerie Maa
01-31-2017, 07:10 AM
^ and less politically risky than meeting HMQ with Philip on her arm. ;)

Peerie Maa
01-31-2017, 07:28 AM
Not surprising really given that the London area has the greatest population density in the UK. It has a very Royalist population who are mortified at the idea of Trump meeting the Queen, and it would be most affected by his visit in terms of crowds, protests, traffic jams, high levels of armed police and all the rest of it.

The map shows a hot spot in Scotland. That's probably me and my mates :d

My local paper reports 1,200 votes in my MP's constituency (68000 electorate); 875 from Coppeland (63000); 1800 from Westmorland (66000).

Milesy%#
01-31-2017, 07:38 AM
Could the terrorists be winning? Creating situations that set individuals and countries who have been friends and allies at odds. Extreme values and points of view will always appeal when there is fear, and individuals who seek power will exploit that fear.
Watching from afar, I still see the Donald making statements to match his audience - then changing them the next day.
I recall a comment by an American commentator when Regan was elected " Well. We now have a real actor as President".
Now the USA has reality TV in the White House. Let's enjoy the show - it won't get a re-run.

Edward Pearson
01-31-2017, 07:45 AM
I think Trump is doing a great job for the US.

The moment he said "...and we're going to build the pipe..." I thought hallelujah, finally a 'politician' that gets it. I'd re-elect him on that statement alone.

Your extremely lucky to have Trump in the USA looking after USA Inc. now. We've not had anyone like that post war in Europe.

Hopefully it will translate to jobs, jobs, jobs for you. I reckon he'll get re elected, even after a week in.

One million middle class 'liberal hippies' who's jobs aren't under threat to immigration, have signed a petition in the UK, but 62.5 million havn't. It's an honour for anyone in the world to host the democratically elected president of the USA and Queen will have the red carpet ready. It's not our job to influence or even have an opinion on US immigration policy. It's 2017 not 1950 and we've got to start looking after ourselves better in the West.

Many "refugees" entering walking into Europe in the past few years were economic migrants, and it was unclear who was who. In our current circumstances, frankly putting a temporary halt to this while implementing measures to understand truely who people are before entering the West, seems perfectly reasonable.

I wish Trump well. And I like his Twitter. It's frankly more transparent. He's seeing the wood for the trees. After decades of weak emasculated US presidents, finally the US is getting a president who's getting this done.

Can the USA continue to afford another 50 years of the same old same old? If it's not working out, your electoral system can depower a president after 2 years anyhow.

The Eurocrats look like dead men walking now. The policy of removing internal borders without securing an external border to Europe will be on their grave stone. The upcoming French elections might be the turning point for Europe. It would be good to know the feeling on the street there. That may be their final executioner. The French have form there.

Peerie Maa
01-31-2017, 09:21 AM
Somebody started a counter-petition, and it already has enough signatures requiring Parliament to debate it.

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/178844

Virtue signalling.
Parliament is going to debate the issue anyway.

Peerie Maa
01-31-2017, 11:02 AM
Some people in Britain have obviously figured out that this Petition business has empowered Trump to pull the plug on the visit, embarrass the Queen and HM's government, bring the Special Relationship seriously into question and turn about half of the US voting populous against Britain and her people, all over an internal domestic security issue having nothing to do with Britain and that Trump campaigned on as part of his election platform.

Hey I'm impressed. You got all of that out of

Donald Trump should be invited to make an official State Visit because he is the leader of a free world and U.K. is a country that supports free speech and does not believe that people that appose our point of view should be gagged.
You must be a friccin mind reader.

Remarkable.

Meanwhile, it achieved nada, zilch as the topic is going to be debated anyway.

Lew Barrett
01-31-2017, 11:14 AM

Air Force One, actually. All presidents own that ride for the duration of their terms. As to which landing site they use, dunno.

Chris Coose
01-31-2017, 11:22 AM
You don't suppose there still exists a hangover from the dubbya/blair love fest?

Peerie Maa
01-31-2017, 11:25 AM
From the Beeb.

UK visits by US presidents

Richard Nixon: 1969 Visited one month after inauguration; no state visit

Barack Obama: 2009 Visited two months after inauguration; state visit after 28 months

George Bush: 1989 Visited four months after inauguration; no state visit

John F Kennedy: 1961 Visited five months after inauguration; no state visit

George W Bush: 2001 Visited six months after inauguration; state visit after 32 months

Source: US embassy in the UK

Earlier on Tuesday, Lord Ricketts, permanent secretary at the Foreign Office from 2006 to 2010, said it was unprecedented for a US president to be invited for a state visit in their first year in the White House.
In a letter to the Times he added: "It would have been far wiser to wait to see what sort of president he would turn out to be before advising the Queen to invite him. Now the Queen is put in a very difficult position."

You got to wonder whether May was making stuff up on the hoof.

Peerie Maa
01-31-2017, 11:29 AM
You don't suppose there still exists a hangover from the dubbya/blair love fest?

More like Thatcher/Regan, which is worrying. At least Bliar did not become a full blown Tory.

Maggy was (redacted) Regan you could only see her heels.

isla
01-31-2017, 03:20 PM
Petition now stands at 1,731,266 - should be 2 million by the end of the week easy. Petitions stand for six months, so it will be interesting to see just how high it goes.

Chris249
01-31-2017, 04:01 PM
I think Trump is doing a great job for the US.

The moment he said "...and we're going to build the pipe..." I thought hallelujah, finally a 'politician' that gets it. .

Gets what? Gets to ignore science? Gets to ignore reality? Gets to say "I'll use the modern science in GPS, hospitals, aircraft, computers and business but reject the modern science that doesn't suit me".

Furthermore, the US already checks who people are before they enter. Finally, why on earth should these entry controls NOT cover those from the nations whose people have committed terrorism on US soil, but cover other nations?

It's as logical as if the Kiwis said (after the Rainbow Warrior affair) "Oh my god, the French secret service blew up a ship in our country, therefore we must ban all Brits".

Ian McColgin
01-31-2017, 05:32 PM
Gonna be real fun when Prince Charles, as is his want, listens politely to Trump for a half hour or so and then does not lecture but does educate Trump on global warming.

Edward Pearson
01-31-2017, 06:27 PM
Gets what? Gets to ignore science? Gets to ignore reality? Gets to say "I'll use the modern science in GPS, hospitals, aircraft, computers and business but reject the modern science that doesn't suit me".

Furthermore, the US already checks who people are before they enter. Finally, why on earth should these entry controls NOT cover those from the nations whose people have committed terrorism on US soil, but cover other nations?

It's as logical as if the Kiwis said (after the Rainbow Warrior affair) "Oh my god, the French secret service blew up a ship in our country, therefore we must ban all Brits".

Chris its all noise. It doesn't matter what the immigration controls are from some hell holes. What matters are jobs and work and pay for Americans. He's not out sourcing the pipe to China. Your going to make it, thats in the USA by Americans getting paid by the government putting people into work and developing American industry. He wants manufacturing back in the USA, conpanies based there, paying tax there. Thats all that matters. The rest is an irrelavence. Yesterday he started the bonfire to regulation that reduced your manufacturing efficiency. If that stimulates growth and employment, that matters. Thats the wood, the immigration issues are just the trees. Let it go.

You've changed Presidents, but recently not changed policy.

Well now things are changing, dignified blue collar workers that held silent for the last two decades have instigated a change. Now middle class professionals that can afford moral outrage need to do the same, and respect democracy and there fellow Americans who Having more pressing priorities. It's just temporary, if he doesnt work out theirs another election around the corner...at least you've tried a different approach. Recent US presidents have been puppets of their party or businesses often powerless to do anything. People it appeared had become apathetic for another term of that status quo. You should be pleased your democratic system can generate a change candidate. It will do so again if its needed.

Peerie Maa
01-31-2017, 06:53 PM
Chris its all noise. It doesn't matter what the immigration controls are from some hell holes. What matters are jobs and work and pay for Americans. He's not out sourcing the pipe to China. Your going to make it, thats in the USA by Americans getting paid by the government putting people into work and developing American industry. He wants manufacturing back in the USA, conpanies based there, paying tax there. Thats all that matters. The rest is an irrelavence. Yesterday he started the bonfire to regulation that reduced your manufacturing efficiency. If that stimulates growth and employment, that matters. Thats the wood, the immigration issues are just the trees. Let it go.

Hey Edward, if you believe Trumps disinformation, I have a bridge you might like.

johnw
01-31-2017, 07:07 PM

Well now things are changing, dignified blue collar workers that held silent for the last two decades have instigated a change. Now middle class professionals that can afford moral outrage need to do the same, and respect democracy and there fellow Americans who Having more pressing priorities. It's just temporary, if he doesnt work out theirs another election around the corner...at least you've tried a different approach. Recent US presidents have been puppets of their party or businesses often powerless to do anything. People it appeared had become apathetic for another term of that status quo. You should be pleased your democratic system can generate a change candidate. It will do so again if its needed.

Speaking as an American who lives in the most export-oriented state in the union, Trump does not seem to be helping us. Boeing deals to sell $20 billion worth of aircraft to Iran and Iraq are in danger because of the botched travel ban, and you can bet Airbus is going to have an easier time in China than Boeing if Trump keeps trashing that relationship. There are a lot of good blue collar jobs in my state and in South Carolina that are endangered by Trump's incompetence.

The man has not bothered to learn the job before doing things with consequences he doesn't understand.

Hwyl
01-31-2017, 07:39 PM
You’re receiving this email because you signed this petition: “Prevent Donald Trump from making a State Visit to the United Kingdom.”.
To unsubscribe from this petition: edited
Dear Gareth Hughes ,
Parliament is going to debate the petition you signed – “Prevent Donald Trump from making a State Visit to the United Kingdom.”.
https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/171928
The debate is scheduled for 20 February 2017.
Once the debate has happened, we’ll email you a video and transcript.
Thanks,
The Petitions team
UK Government and Parliament
You’re receiving this email because you signed this petition: “Prevent Donald Trump from making a State Visit to the United Kingdom.”.

TomF
01-31-2017, 07:46 PM
I so hope that the Queen gets the opportunity to snub him. One can become stupidly and garish wealthy, even become POTUS ... and still reveal yourself to be white trash.

bob winter
01-31-2017, 07:59 PM
We do still have the Commenweath. Might be time to start rebuilding it.

oznabrag
01-31-2017, 08:10 PM

Speaking as an American who lives in the most export-oriented state in the union, Trump does not seem to be helping us. Boeing deals to sell $20 billion worth of aircraft to Iran and Iraq are in danger because of the botched travel ban, and you can bet Airbus is going to have an easier time in China than Boeing if Trump keeps trashing that relationship. There are a lot of good blue collar jobs in my state and in South Carolina that are endangered by Trump's incompetence.

The man has not bothered to learn the job before doing things with consequences he doesn't understand.

I disagree.

It is his intention to turn the US into a desperate, starving, fascist, third-world spithole.

A Great Depression is like a blowout sale on raw wealth, to a billionaire.

WX
01-31-2017, 09:30 PM
I wouldn't want him here.

oznabrag
01-31-2017, 10:21 PM
https://counterjihadnews.files.wordpress.com/2017/01/16114726101549012617465854603722982887452498n.jpg? w=584

Chris249
01-31-2017, 10:23 PM

Well now things are changing, dignified blue collar workers that held silent for the last two decades have instigated a change. Now middle class professionals that can afford moral outrage need to do the same, and respect democracy and there fellow Americans who Having more pressing priorities. It's just temporary, if he doesnt work out theirs another election around the corner...at least you've tried a different approach. Recent US presidents have been puppets of their party or businesses often powerless to do anything. People it appeared had become apathetic for another term of that status quo. You should be pleased your democratic system can generate a change candidate. It will do so again if its needed. "The rest" isn't irrelevant when "the rest" shows that Trump is intent on pipelines that will create more greenhouse gases. This is not a temporary issue - climate changes may not be reversible. Sure, we understand the concept of getting manufacturing going in the US and reviving the middle class and working class - but other countries can erect tariff walls and hurt US exports, and modern manufacturing does not create jobs as it used to. There are other and better ways to make life fairer. I also worked in manufacturing before regulations came in. Having your fingers cut off and the rivers polluted is not efficient in the long term.

Immigration isn't just a tree if restrictions harm trade and make the Muslim world think that the US hates them. It's not just a tree if terrorists use bans to "prove" that Americans deserve to die.

By the way, I am not from the USA.

oznabrag
01-31-2017, 10:28 PM
https://counterjihadnews.files.wordpress.com/2016/10/putfl.jpg

WX
02-01-2017, 03:05 AM
https://cdn.meme.am/cache/instances/folder252/67270252.jpg

Edward Pearson
02-01-2017, 06:45 AM
Nah..Trump is in the UK interest.

While both countries exports to each other are significant, the USA's is much greater in dollar terms. While protectionist, he knows that's a good deal for him.

More broadly, a strong USA can only stand up for Western values if it has a strong economy, and that does to some degree mean more jobs and less welfare.

He's put Churchill's bust back in the Oval office. That's all he had to do.

Closer to home, the south European economic and social reform requires the dissintegration of the Europe umbrella. That's a strong Europe, not the current polarising German centric vortex. Trump is in favour of this change.

The split will occur after/ if one of the new right wing European leaders gets elected. One out referendum..then it will all split, currencies printed and the German Mark of high value leading to an all mighty German recession/ correction and south European boom. Putin will have this target also. The Eurocrats and even Merkel are no longer in control of events here. Merkel standing for a fourth term of the status quo is a political mistake, it gives Eurosceptics a target.

PeterSibley
02-01-2017, 06:49 AM
https://cdn.meme.am/cache/instances/folder252/67270252.jpg

Does the Queen carry a pistol ? He may give her an excuse to defend herself. :D