PDA

View Full Version : Do you think having safe zones in Syria is a good idea?

genglandoh
01-27-2017, 09:48 AM
President Trump said he was going to setup save zones in Syria to help protect.
I think it is a good idea, but I am worried that it will be very hard to do.

Sky Blue
01-27-2017, 09:53 AM
Let the Europeans and the Arab nations provide the troops and the money. They can work it all out with Putin. I'm sure they have a good relationship with him. The UN can be put in charge of the entire operation. We'll send moral support.

John of Phoenix
01-27-2017, 09:55 AM
Insanely expensive. Insanely difficult. Insanely dangerous. Insane in general. Perfect for trumpkins.

Durnik
01-27-2017, 09:58 AM
^ what he said.

TomF
01-27-2017, 10:02 AM
How have the ceasefires worked out? Exactly.

BrianY
01-27-2017, 10:05 AM
Oh it's a great idea, for sure. The problem is how it would be accomplished. Do you think sending 20,000 US troops to Syria to enforce Safe Zones is a good idea?

Peerie Maa
01-27-2017, 10:07 AM
Reading the Reuters report the Orange One is running off at the mouth with his brain in neutral. Vladimir will not be pleased.
In Moscow, Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov said Trump did not consult with Russia and warned that the consequences of such a plan "ought to be weighed up."

Blue helmets in the Balkans anyone?

Sky Blue
01-27-2017, 10:09 AM
The Europeans certainly know what is best. We should defer to them on this in every way. Certainly the Canadians could step up and take a leadership role as well.

Norman Bernstein
01-27-2017, 10:11 AM

I don't see how it is even remotely possible.

A 'safe zone' would require massive military protection... AFTER a pitched battle to establish it. Who, exactly, would it be 'safe' for? We'd all like to think that it would be 'safe' for innocent refugees... but everyone in Syria is a partisan of some sort. Syrian Christians AND Syrian Muslims? Alawites, Shia, and Sunni? Would the military force be required to fight Assad's forces, who are backed by Russia? Where would this be? Any 'safe' zone would occupy territory that at least ONE of the partisan fighters are claiming... think they're going to stop at the border of a 'safe' zone?

This pretty much sums up the incredible naivete and incompetence of Donald Trump... he hasn't got a clue, and what he might do, as has been pointed out, depends entirely on the last person he spoke to. Maybe the last person will be Jared Kushner... whose advice will certainly be biased by his Israeli affection.. maybe it will be one of the generals, eager to deploy his assets.

TomF
01-27-2017, 10:17 AM
The Europeans certainly know what is best. We should defer to them on this in every way. Certainly the Canadians could step up and take a leadership role as well.They have done very effective harm reduction things ... like taking refugees. Setting up safe zones would be a brilliant idea, but how will Russia or Assad be forced to respect them?

Some of us remember Srebrenica. That didn't work out too well, and maybe a different approach could be attempted.

Sky Blue
01-27-2017, 10:25 AM
Europeans suddenly find themselves enamoured of hegemonic American power, it seems. Theresa May just yesterday was heard imploring America to its duty to the world, duty to stay engaged with it.

She means troops, money and foreign aid, of course. Sorry, honey. That's all changing.

LeeG
01-27-2017, 10:30 AM

Why do you think it's a good idea? We have an antagonistic relationship with the Syrian gov't. , our presence would reignite the issue of invading Americans in a Muslim country motivating attacks by jihadi groups, Russia has a big footprint there. It sounds like an idea picked out of the blue. Maybe you could find some foreign policy experts opining on the topic and report back with your findings.

Sky Blue
01-27-2017, 10:43 AM
They have done very effective harm reduction things ... like taking refugees. Setting up safe zones would be a brilliant idea, but how will Russia or Assad be forced to respect them?

Some of us remember Srebrenica. That didn't work out too well, and maybe a different approach could be attempted.

Hogwash. They fecklessly opened their borders rather than intervene themselves, choosing the easy way out and in so doing ushered in a new era of political instability on the continent. Now they've shut those borders and are quietly begging for American interventionism. The answer is no.

TomF
01-27-2017, 12:14 PM
Fecklessly allowing people to run away from a multi-party civil war which has already claimed hundreds of thousands of lives. Damn right if Assad or ISIS was slaughtering indiscriminately, I'd try to get my family out even if I had chosen a side to fight for. Maybe especially.

Your compassion is moving.

Norman Bernstein
01-27-2017, 12:37 PM
Fecklessly allowing people to run away from a multi-party civil war which has already claimed hundreds of thousands of lives. Damn right if Assad or ISIS was slaughtering indiscriminately, I'd try to get my family out even if I had chosen a side to fight for. Maybe especially.

Your compassion is moving.

Don't forget. Any expression of compassion is automatically 'virtue signalling' :):)

genglandoh
03-23-2017, 09:23 PM
Nice to see Trump is moving forward on this.

Title: Rex Tillerson says US will set up safe zones for refugees from Isis
Link: https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/mar/22/rex-tillerson-us-safe-zones-refugees-isis

CWSmith
03-23-2017, 09:24 PM
Safe? Yes.

Possible? Probably not.

Russia does not benefit from safe zones and they can play havoc any time they want.

LeeG
03-23-2017, 09:43 PM
Nice to see Trump is moving forward on this.

Title: Rex Tillerson says US will set up safe zones for refugees from Isis
Link: https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/mar/22/rex-tillerson-us-safe-zones-refugees-isis

You said "in Syria", Tillerson did not identify any location. Sounds like a speech without substance in light of Trumps desire to severely cut UN contributions which will have a direct effect on refugee aid programs.

"Asked about Tillerson’s remarks, coalition spokesman Col Joseph Scrocca said the US military had not yet received direction to establish any kind of “zones”."

genglandoh
03-23-2017, 09:59 PM
You said "in Syria", Tillerson did not identify any location. Sounds like a speech without substance in light of Trumps desire to severely cut UN contributions which will have a direct effect on refugee aid programs.

"Asked about Tillerson’s remarks, coalition spokesman Col Joseph Scrocca said the US military had not yet received direction to establish any kind of “zones”."

Maybe he is talking about setting up safe zones in London and Paris.

LeeG
03-23-2017, 10:05 PM
Maybe he is talking about setting up safe zones in London and Paris.

Maybe you should read what he actually said.

PeterSibley
03-23-2017, 10:40 PM
Hogwash. They fecklessly opened their borders rather than intervene themselves, choosing the easy way out and in so doing ushered in a new era of political instability on the continent. Now they've shut those borders and are quietly begging for American interventionism. The answer is no.

Of course the Europeans weren't the ones who tore down Iraq's political system under which there were NO terrorists, it was the good ol oil seeking USA who invaded the wrong country by mistake of course and pulled down the whole thing. The US broke it, the US has responsibilities to those it put in danger....... as do the UK and Australia as our leaders supported Bush's idiocy.

LeeG
03-23-2017, 10:52 PM
Of course the Europeans weren't the ones who tore down Iraq's political system under which there were NO terrorists, it was the good ol oil seeking USA who invaded the wrong country by mistake of course and pulled down the whole thing. The US broke it, the US has responsibilities to those it put in danger....... as do the UK and Australia as our leaders supported Bush's idiocy.

The US has elected a president who will abdicate any responsibility for what has gone before. He's focused on making America great by shifting $54Billion from everything that invests in the general welfare to that which destroys others.

Tom Hunter
03-24-2017, 06:34 AM
In the spirit of open debate, the US created no fly zones over Kurdistan in the 1990s, that were maintained for years, and that avoided a humanitarian crisis. The Kurds stayed home. So there is one successful example.

Anyone have specific unsuccessful examples?

I'm more dubious about Syria, because the question is: safe zones for who? In Kurdistan there was a clear answer, in Syria I don't see one. All that said, it would be interesting to look at more examples, if there are any.