PDA

View Full Version : 20% tax on Mexican imports to pay for wall.....

Steve McMahon
01-26-2017, 03:50 PM
Just breaking.
That's how he plans on paying for the wall. 20% tax on Mexican goods.
Wow.

Norman Bernstein
01-26-2017, 03:52 PM
Where is it breaking?

Oh, wait:

“President Trump plans to make Mexico pay for his border wall by imposing a 20 percent tax on all imports into the United States from Mexico, raising billions of dollars that would cover the cost of the new barrier,” the New York Times (https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/26/us/politics/mexico-wall-tax-trump.html?action=Click&contentCollection=BreakingNews&contentID=64842749&pgtype=Homepage) reports.

White House press secretary Sean Spicer “said the 20 percent tax on annual Mexican imports would raise $10 billion a year and would easily pay for a border wall that is estimated to cost between $8 billion and $20 billion. The value of imported goods from Mexico in 2015 was $296 billion.”

Hmmm... when does Mexico impose a 30% tax on imports of US goods?

Trade war, here we go!

Rum_Pirate
01-26-2017, 03:52 PM
Interesting, we are charged on average 59% on the CIF price of goods imported here.

What other charges/taxes does the USA apply to imports from Mexico?

Gerarddm
01-26-2017, 03:54 PM
Lotta cars going up in price if they pass that...not mention electronics. Of course, the Deplorables won't have an inkling that the money is thereby coming out of THEIR pockets.

Norman Bernstein
01-26-2017, 03:55 PM
Yeah... gotta think about who will REALLY be paying.... American consumers of Mexican goods.... and employees of companies who export to Mexico, when Mexico retaliates.

bamamick
01-26-2017, 03:56 PM
Sure, we have a few hours left in this week. Let's destroy NAFTA while we have a minute.

Mickey Lake

Steve McMahon
01-26-2017, 03:57 PM
Trade war, here we go!

Probably won't be the only one... I wonder if it will be Germany or Canada next?

Peerie Maa
So people who buy Mexican goods in the US will pay for the wall through a tax levied on their purchases. And that is Mexico paying for the wall? Yes, right. :rolleyes:

TomF
So, he's just blown NAFTA completely to sh!t. He's not talking about renegotiating it, making it better somehow while still retaining access to free markets. He's just ripped it to pieces; a 20% tax on imports from Mexico means that NAFTA is dead.

Before folks celebrate too much, understand how much trade goes each way across that border. Understand what this is going to mean for the auto industry, and God knows what else.

Amazing. Toddler with a hammer. What incredible disrespect for the whole system of diplomacy which negotiates and manages treaties of this type in a web which spans the globe.

Norman Bernstein
01-26-2017, 03:58 PM
For the record, it's about $290 BILLION in imports from Mexico, versus $211 BILLION in exports to Mexico.

Chris Smith porter maine
01-26-2017, 03:59 PM
I'm pretty sure congress will need to approve such an import tax, find it hard to believe they are going to vote for that.

TomF
01-26-2017, 04:00 PM
For the record, it's about $290 BILLION in imports from Mexico, versus $211 BILLION in exports to Mexico.For now. Gonna be a tremendous job killer.

SKIP KILPATRICK
01-26-2017, 04:02 PM
I wonder if this will include farm goods? If so it sounds like all the fresh veggies we enjoy in the winter-time are going to go through the roof.

It sounds more like the lower and middle class are going to be fitting the bill!

Figment
01-26-2017, 04:03 PM
I wonder how this applies to materials/components that cross the border without changing ownership?

e.g. A US-based company has factories in Minnesota and Mexico. Material gets shipped to the Mexican facility, gets assembled into a larger component, which gets shipped to Minnesota for final assembly and packaging before sale.

Figment
01-26-2017, 04:04 PM
For now. Gonna be a tremendous job killer.

I see what you did there.
You dry snarky madman.

peb
01-26-2017, 04:06 PM
A really, really bad idea. Which I would suppose he cannot legally do. We have a treaty with Mexico which must be honored. I do not know the terms of withdrawing from the treaty. on too of that, I believe congress must pass any new tax, including tariffs.

LeeG
01-26-2017, 04:06 PM
More expensive goods, cars, food and oil. Brilliant. Great opportunity for China to invest more in Mexicos economy and oil infrastructure.

Hey look, we're all excited, Trump is poking people in the eye, mission accomplished.

TomF
01-26-2017, 04:07 PM
I wonder how this applies to materials/components that cross the border without changing ownership?

e.g. A US-based company has factories in Minnesota and Mexico. Material gets shipped to the Mexican facility, gets assembled into a larger component, which gets shipped to Minnesota for final assembly and packaging before sale."Location of manufacturing" language has always been some of the tricky stuff at the heart of trade agreements. If he means to erect a genuine trade barrier, with the effect of bringing some manufacturing jobs back into America ... he will take a tough line. If OTOH he intends mostly to use this as "virtue signaling" to his supporters (:D) then the wording will be as porous as the border itself.

TomF
01-26-2017, 04:07 PM
I see what you did there.
You dry snarky madman.My blond hair's real (for now) too.

peb
01-26-2017, 04:13 PM
Apparently he wants it as part of a tax reform package from congress. Great, we need tax reform, this could gum up the works.

Steve McMahon
01-26-2017, 04:13 PM
Double digit inflation on it's way?

Norman Bernstein
01-26-2017, 04:15 PM
Apparently he wants it as part of a tax reform package from congress. Great, we need tax reform, this could gum up the works.

I think the implications are a great deal more broad than just tax reform, peb.

peb
01-26-2017, 04:18 PM
I think the implications are a great deal more broad than just tax reform, peb.

Well, if he gets it passed in Congress, you are correct. I suspect that this will be a point of contention between congress and the white house.

Norman Bernstein
01-26-2017, 04:27 PM
Well, if he gets it passed in Congress, you are correct. I suspect that this will be a point of contention between congress and the white house.

I am not ordinarily an alarmist.... but history demonstrates that a seemingly small event can induce cataclysmic effects on this rock we call earth. Consider what the assassination of some minor arch duke in the Balkans did, in 1914.

We do have to consider the possibility of a spillover, with a bipartite trade war expanding into a global one. The next world war won't be military in nature... it will be economic.

jack grebe
01-26-2017, 04:28 PM
Thank you Liberals, for the change we are about to receive.........

Norman Bernstein
01-26-2017, 04:30 PM
Thank you Liberals, for the change we are about to receive.........

Liberals are the ones calling for a 20% tax on Mexican imports? Strange, I haven't seen that anywhere.

Got a link? :)

TomF
01-26-2017, 04:30 PM
Well, if he gets it passed in Congress, you are correct. I suspect that this will be a point of contention between congress and the white house.I think he wants a fight with Congress.

I wrote elsewhere how the obvious lying has the effect of forcing people to declare their loyalties - to Trump and his leadership first, or to other values (like truth-telling, or even a notion of objective empirical facts) first. I think that this will have a similar impact, on Congress members. This will force them to declare whether their primarily loyalty is to Trump's leadership, or to the traditions and values of the Republican party.

Let's be clear here: this is another element of consolidation into a political culture focused on loyalty first to the Leader. Other loyalties - to values, to truth telling, to international systems of diplomacy and the institutions of civil society, even to the Party ... all are inconsequential.

This is crazy. Megalomaniacal crazy.

SKIP KILPATRICK
01-26-2017, 04:31 PM
I am not ordinarily an alarmist.... but history demonstrates that a seemingly small event can induce cataclysmic effects on this rock we call earth. Consider what the assassination of some minor arch duke in the Balkans did, in 1914.

We do have to consider the possibility of a spillover, with a bipartite trade war expanding into a global one. The next world war won't be military in nature... it will be economic.

I agree with Norm... except the bold type! :)

hahahahaha

TomF
01-26-2017, 04:33 PM
Thank you Liberals, for the change we are about to receive.........Jack, just shut it.

This is destabilizing global systems of trade and diplomacy. It's Not a Good Thing.

And nope, Liberals do not own this. This belongs only to the people who voted for Trump, or who chose not to effectively vote against him by casting a ballot for someone who had the potential to win.

You own this. It's not like nobody took the time to chat with you about it in advance either.

Boater14
01-26-2017, 04:33 PM
Sky blue....too little too late....where are you?

SKIP KILPATRICK
01-26-2017, 05:09 PM
Hey per Spicer "this tax is going to be a huge win for the American Tax Payer".

Reynard38
01-26-2017, 05:12 PM
Anybody know of a really good American Tequila?

SKIP KILPATRICK
01-26-2017, 05:16 PM
The 19 countries with the highest international trade tariffs

http://www.businessinsider.com/wef-countries-with-highest-trade-tarrifs-2016-10/#19-brazil-115--brazil-has-high-tariffs-on-imports-but-this-hasnt-helped-the-country-balance-large-current-account-and-government-deficits-1

Well $hite there goes the neighborhood!

Landrith
01-26-2017, 05:20 PM
I think he wants a fight with Congress.

I wrote elsewhere how the obvious lying has the effect of forcing people to declare their loyalties - to Trump and his leadership first, or to other values (like truth-telling, or even a notion of objective empirical facts) first. I think that this will have a similar impact, on Congress members. This will force them to declare whether their primarily loyalty is to Trump's leadership, or to the traditions and values of the Republican party.

Let's be clear here: this is another element of consolidation into a political culture focused on loyalty first to the Leader. Other loyalties - to values, to truth telling, to international systems of diplomacy and the institutions of civil society, even to the Party ... all are inconsequential.

You make it sound tragic and undemocratic. The reality (and the narco border death toll) is that "open" trade with Mexico was implemented very undemocratically and dictorally by the corporate globalists and their stooge presidents https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_American_Union. I worked in the Mid West along the Nafta highway in door manufacturing jobs we took from Canada and monthly, the Matamoros plant mangers would be touring the plant for the work they could do there cheaper. Then, the Malaysians even started coming through. You liberals want a Middle Class, you better start thinking about allowing us to have jobs again....

LeeG
01-26-2017, 05:27 PM
Maybe this will bring back the 25% tariff on imported light trucks from Mexico

Keith Wilson
01-26-2017, 05:29 PM
http://bkserv3.net/smiley/being_sick-403.gif

LeeG
I think he wants a fight with Congress.

That makes a lot of sense

Tom Montgomery
Hmmm....

Early in the week someone in the know told me KTP is tentatively scheduled to be down the entire month of July. Six months out is a long time and this struck me as very strange since we currently are operaing three shifts 7 days a week. We make contractor pickup trucks that are used by businesses.

Now it it is coming together. The people in Dearborn, Michigan running Ford Motor Company are smart people. Evidently they are anticipating an economic slowdown/recession. Our industry feels the pain first and recovers first.

Landrith
01-26-2017, 05:36 PM
Hmmm....

Early in the week someone in the know told me KTP is tentatively scheduled to be down the entire month of July. Six months out is a long time and this struck me as very strange since we currently are operaing three shifts 7 days a week. We make contractor pickup trucks that are used to make a living.

Now it it is coming together. The people in Dearborn running Ford Motor Company are smart people. Evidently they are anticipating an economic slowdown/recession. Our industry feels the pain first and recovers first.

I see white pick ups and vans stacked up in ravines and abandoned properties not too far from the Kansas City Ford truck plant. I wondered. But, I also thought they wrongly expected a recovery a year ago. I think smart money would be buying the Detroit Studebaker plant and rolling out shiny new V10 full size sedans 2 years from now.

CK 17
01-26-2017, 05:36 PM
I wonder if this will include farm goods? If so it sounds like all the fresh veggies we enjoy in the winter-time are going to go through the roof.

It sounds more like the lower and middle class are going to be fitting the bill!my guess is trump voters don't eat veggies.

LeeG
01-26-2017, 05:44 PM
NEWSFLASH!!!!

The tariff is part of a "buffet" of options. Everyone is getting all excited about what Trump said and not what's in his heart. He was just "mulling"!

Reince Preibus has put things in context. It's on the buffet, something else might be on the buffet tomorrow. The important thing is Mexico will be paying for it, or maybe the American consumer, who cares either way people are paying attention to HIM. Go back to work to be stimulated tomorrow!

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2017/01/26/trump-propose-20-mexican-border-tax-pay-wall/97099374/

Daniel Noyes
01-26-2017, 05:45 PM
Where is it breaking?

Oh, wait:

Hmmm... when does Mexico impose a 30% tax on imports of US goods?

Trade war, here we go!

What is EVERY Democrat now a SHILL for major Multinational Corporations...???

Norm you should know the only thing the USA exports to Mexico is good high paying factory jobs... let them slap a 30% tax on em! :D

Norman Bernstein
01-26-2017, 05:49 PM
What is EVERY Democrat now a SHILL for major Multinational Corporations...???

Norm you should know the only thing the USA exports to Mexico is good high paying factory jobs...

Along with $211 BILLION dollars worth of goods and services.

I wouldn't expect you to know that, because it would be the truth, and Trumpistas don't do 'truth'.

outofthenorm
01-26-2017, 05:51 PM
Can someone explain how a tax paid by American business and American consumers is somehow Mexico paying for the wall? All those billions will be coming out of American pockets.

Tom Montgomery
01-26-2017, 05:51 PM
I see white pick ups and vans stacked up in ravines and abandoned properties not too far from the Kansas City Ford truck plant. I wondered.No doubt those were trucks parked to be inspected for a quality concern prior to shipment to dealers. Standard operating procedure in the 21st century.

When dealer inventory exceeds certain levels assembly plants are idled and workers are laid off. We do not continue to build vehicles and stockpile them. You are imagining SOP 25 years ago.

LeeG
01-26-2017, 05:53 PM
NEWSFLASH!!!!

The tariff is part of a "buffet" of options. Everyone is getting all excited about what Trump said and not what's in his heart. He was just "mulling"!

Reince Preibus has put things in context. It's on the buffet, something else might be on the buffet tomorrow. The important thing is Mexico will be paying for it, or maybe the American consumer, who cares either way people are paying attention to HIM. Go back to work to be stimulated tomorrow!

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2017/01/26/trump-propose-20-mexican-border-tax-pay-wall/97099374/

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/spicer-tax-imports-mexico-border-wall

Peter Malcolm Jardine
01-26-2017, 05:55 PM
Wow, the stupidity and ignorance of this man is absolutely staggering.

LeeG
01-26-2017, 05:58 PM
Can someone explain how a tax paid by American business and American consumers is somehow Mexico paying for the wall? All those billions will be coming out of American pockets.

No, and neither can the WhiteHouse press secretary. Trump makes declarations not sense.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/01/26/politics/donald-trump-mexico-import-tax-border-wall/index.html

Tom Montgomery
01-26-2017, 06:00 PM
Stupid chit.

Barely a week into the Trump reign and a freaking mess in the White House.

Norman Bernstein
01-26-2017, 06:06 PM
Hahahaha... well, that was quick, walking back the 20% tax idea within an hour or two of pumping it out to the press.

Yeah, we've got a real competent White House, all right.... only a few days in, and it's already a monumental clusterf#$k!

PatCassidy
01-26-2017, 06:08 PM
Everybody has or will quickly figure out that they will be paying for the wall every time they order a marguerita. And that is not what Trump promised. It won't fly. Even his most ardent supporters will not buy this one.

peb
01-26-2017, 06:08 PM
I'll be somewhat parochial, in 2015 The Great State of Texas exported 92B to Mexico, we imported 84B. I really would prefer that not be screwed up.

Peter Malcolm Jardine
01-26-2017, 06:12 PM
I'll be somewhat parochial, in 2015 The Great State of Texas exported 92B to Mexico, we imported 84B. I really would prefer that not be screwed up.

Sorry, following the events of January 20th, you are screwed.

Norman Bernstein
01-26-2017, 06:13 PM
Unbelievable: these guys shouldn't be left unsupervised!

Donald Trump’s (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/topic/donald-trump) top spokesman suggested Thursday that the president would be open to massive tax increases on imports, specifically though not exclusively with Mexico, as part of a broader reform package to pay for a border wall between the U.S. and Mexico.

No sooner had White House press secretary Sean Spicer suggested the 20 percent hike on imports, then he took it back (https://twitter.com/PeterAlexander/status/824732139421892608), amid wide-ranging criticism from fellow Republicans and befuddlement from reporters and observers who noted how odd it was to make policy on the fly.

The exchange left the indelible impression that the Trump administration is struggling to meet its long-standing promise to make Mexico pay for the wall the president wants to construct. It also underscored the gap that continues to exist between the White House and congressional Republicans on tax policy.

White House Chief of Staff Reince Priebus tried to downplay Spicer’s remarks further, telling NBC News’ Peter Alexander (https://twitter.com/PeterAlexander/status/824737181176565761) that the import tax was one among a “buffet of options.”

If enacted, such a tariff would likely raise prices for American consumers, as well as violate the North American Free Trade Agreement, inviting retaliatory tariffs from Mexico on American goods. The announcement ― made just hours after Mexican President Enrique Peña Nieto canceled (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/mexican-president-trump-wall_us_588a2d28e4b0024605fe4f4d) a trade meeting with Trump in response to Trump’s insistence that Mexico would pay for the border wall ― will likely escalate the already-tense relationship between the Trump administration and the Mexican government.

“This is something that we’ve been in close contact with both houses [of Congress] in moving forward and creating a plan,” Spicer told reporters. “It clearly provides the funding and does so in a way that the American taxpayer is wholly respected.”

The top U.S. imports from Mexico (https://ustr.gov/countries-regions/americas/mexico) in 2015 were vehicles ($74 billion) and electrical machinery ($63 billion). The country is also the second-largest source of agricultural goods imported to the United States.

Assuming the tax would apply to all Mexican exports, Americans could end up paying higher prices on everything from American-made cars, which often rely on Mexican parts, to fresh vegetables and fruits.

“The U.S. automobile supply chain is heavily integrated with Mexico and Canada. If you start monkeying around with tariffs along that supply chain, you’re pushing costs up,” said Josh Bivens, research and policy director at the Economic Policy Institute, a progressive think tank often skeptical of free-trade agreements.

In his comments to reporters, Spicer implied that such a tax is common among countries with free trade relations.

“We are probably the only major country that doesn’t treat imports this way,” he said.

In truth, Mexico has a 16 percent value-added tax (https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/25/upshot/what-can-trump-do-to-overhaul-nafta-quite-a-lot.html) on all goods, domestic and foreign. The Mexican government reimburses companies in its country for the tax if they export the product, but Mexican companies pay the full tax if they sell the goods domestically. In that way, Mexico still complies with NAFTA by ensuring U.S. goods an “even playing field” in the Mexican market, according to Bivens.

By contrast, Bivens argued, levying a 20 percent tax on Mexican exports into the U.S. market would violate NAFTA by limiting Mexican access to the American market. Mexico would, in turn, be legally entitled to retaliate with a tariff of its own on American goods.

“If you’re trying to make Mexico pay for the wall, this is not how you do it. This is U.S. consumers paying for it,” Bivens concluded.

PeterSibley
01-26-2017, 06:14 PM
Everybody has or will quickly figure out that they will be paying for the wall every time they order a marguerita. And that is not what Trump promised. It won't fly. Even his most ardent supporters will not buy this one.

They'll buy it, anything else will be "fake news". The USA has entered a period of "newspeak" and blindness.

I await "Donald is watching you".

oznabrag
01-26-2017, 06:15 PM
A really, really bad idea. Which I would suppose he cannot legally do. We have a treaty with Mexico which must be honored. I do not know the terms of withdrawing from the treaty. on too of that, I believe congress must pass any new tax, including tariffs.

Never stopped him before.

The man is a career criminal, after all.

Tom Montgomery
01-26-2017, 06:16 PM
Sorry, following the events of January 20th, we are all screwed.I fixed that for you, Peter.

It it is a small world after all.

S/V Laura Ellen
01-26-2017, 06:16 PM
Hahahaha... well, that was quick, walking back the 20% tax idea within an hour or two of pumping it out to the press.

Yeah, we've got a real competent White House, all right.... only a few days in, and it's already a monumental clusterf#$k!

You aint seen nothing yet!

oznabrag
01-26-2017, 06:17 PM
They'll buy it, anything else will be "fake news". The USA has entered a period of "newspeak" and blindness.

I await "Donald is watching you".

I am getting to the point where I don't care whether or not they like it.

The fact is that only 20% of Americans voted for that bloated sack of garbage, and the rest of us are pretty angry about it.

A steamroller really doesn't care about the aluminum can that got in its way.

isla
01-26-2017, 06:21 PM
I've been hearing a lot lately about La La Land, or is that something different?

Landrith
01-26-2017, 06:50 PM

I'm not walking it back even if RP is giving some cover to Senators to calm their multilateral donors. I see House Republicans running 2 years from now proudly saying Mexico is paying for the Wall with fat tariffs. And screw big Agriculture that was pushing the TPP till the end. I want high value vegetable production and fair prices this side of the border. Let Monsanto go kill another 300,000 farmers in India with their chemical dependent franken crops. I want to quit subsidizing it with the US Treasury also.

Landrith
01-26-2017, 06:56 PM
Never stopped him before.

The man is a career criminal, after all.

We on the Right always feared treaties for this reason. You can only attack based on an idea that the treaty wasn't valid under the requirements of the nation state for the authority in signing, ala BREXIT. However, no International trade treaty is going away without being replaced by more ugly Mercantilism negotiated in Congress under the Big Lie "Free Trade". If we had real Free Trade, we wouldn't be in this mess.

outofthenorm
01-26-2017, 06:59 PM
Mexico is paying for the Wall with fat tariffs.

Dude, buyers pay tariffs. Sellers may suffer, but buyers pay. That means you, no matter whether you pay higher prices for imports or higher prices for domestic production. You pay.

johnw
01-26-2017, 07:08 PM
Why pick on Mexico, anyway? We ship almost as much stuff to them as they ship to us. We have a bigger trade deficit with Germany, mainly because they buy hardly anything from us.

Besides which, if we destabilized a country we share a long border with, how's that going to help us?

Take a look at these numbers:

The largest US (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/US) partners with their total trade (sum of imports and exports) in millions of US dollars (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/US_dollars) for calendar year 2015 are as follows:[2] (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_the_largest_trading_partners_of_the_United _States#cite_note-2)

Rank
Country/District
Exports
Imports
Total Trade
Trade Balance (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trade_Balance)

-
World

-
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/b/b7/Flag_of_Europe.svg/23px-Flag_of_Europe.svg.png European Union (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_Union)

Canada (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canada)

China (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/China)

Mexico (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mexico)

Japan (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japan)

Germany (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Germany)

South Korea (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_Korea)

United Kingdom (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Kingdom)

France (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/France)

Taiwan (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taiwan)

Brazil (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brazil)
+11,892

India (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/India)

Saudi Arabia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saudi_Arabia)

Netherlands (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Netherlands)
+22,257

Italy (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Italy)

Belgium (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Belgium)
+13,905

Switzerland (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Switzerland)

Hong Kong (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hong_Kong)
+34,989

Singapore (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Singapore)
+13,811

Malaysia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malaysia)

Ireland (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Republic_of_Ireland)

Thailand (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thailand)

Colombia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colombia)
+1,807

Israel (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Israel)

Australia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australia)
+15,910

Chile (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chile)
+7,039

-
Remaining Countries

Sky Blue
01-26-2017, 07:15 PM
if we destabilized a country...

Are you serious? johnw, you were doing better with the Russia thing.

johnw
01-26-2017, 07:38 PM
Are you serious? johnw, you were doing better with the Russia thing.

Trump's ideas would mess up the Mexican economy. That's destabilizing.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/trump-could-really-mess-up-mexicos-economy/

And the fewer jobs there are there, the more incentive for them to come here.

LeeG
01-26-2017, 07:56 PM

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/trump-could-really-mess-up-mexicos-economy/

The nutty part is that Trump is screwing with our relations with Mexico for a totally unnecessary "wall". It isn't needed and the expectation that Mexico would pay for something we want to build is nuts. It's like expecting Mexico to pay for NASAs programs. All this to cultivate fear and prejudice. Totally nuts.

Landrith
01-26-2017, 08:02 PM
Why pick on Mexico, anyway? We ship almost as much stuff to them as they ship to us. We have a bigger trade deficit with Germany, mainly because they buy hardly anything from us.

Besides which, if we destabilized a country we share a long border with, how's that going to help us?

Because of that eloquent Liberal argument called "Race to the Bottom" http://www.coha.org/u-s-mexican-relations-lead-the-way-in-the-hemispheric-race-to-the-bottom-maquiladoras-free-trade-and-a-can-of-worms/ http://www.eldis.org/go/home&id=8703&type=Document#.WIqb4BiZNDA, Mexico is even responsible for pushing Germany from a stake holder economy to a "what have you done for me lately" stock holder economy https://www.ft.com/content/cf041eb4-0c2b-11e4-9080-00144feabdc0. https://insights.offshoregroup.com/volkswagen-extends-its-relationship-with-mexico

When Trumpus Rex is done with Mexico, they will be buying Fords made in Detroit

Sky Blue
01-26-2017, 08:07 PM

Another Left-wing rag. I'll believe it when I see it. I suppose we should all keep doing dope, too, because to not do so might harm the Mexican economy.:rolleyes:

johnw
01-26-2017, 08:23 PM
Another Left-wing rag. I'll believe it when I see it. I suppose we should all keep doing dope, too, because to not do so might harm the Mexican economy.:rolleyes:

Dude, you live where a lot of that is grown, didn't you know? It's California's most valuable crop. The Mexican stuff is lower quality and relegated to the illegal market.

http://norml.org/legal/item/california-top-10-cash-crops

As for believing it when you see it, I'm hoping there are enough sane people in congress to stop Trumps plans from happening.

elf
01-26-2017, 08:28 PM
I'm pretty sure congress will need to approve such an import tax, find it hard to believe they are going to vote for that.
You know, I really believe just about everything that comes out of his mouth is being streamed from Ryan, McConnell and Bannon.

But this one maybe not.

Surely one of those three is smart enough to realize the implications.

Hmm. Maybe not.

Or maybe it's all a publicity stunt. To salve his sycophants.

Steve McMahon
01-26-2017, 08:41 PM
What can / will Trump do if Congress blocks this and / or any of his other grandiose decrees?

John of Phoenix
01-26-2017, 08:55 PM
Interesting, we are charged on average 59% on the CIF price of goods imported here.

What other charges/taxes does the USA apply to imports from Mexico?

Does that tell you anything?

Canoez
01-26-2017, 09:51 PM
Dang. Tequila's going up.

LeeG
01-27-2017, 05:41 AM
http://www.latimes.com/world/mexico-americas/la-fg-mexico-trump-20170126-story.html

President Peña Nieto's cancellation of his trip is an understandable and logical decision given Trump's comment that he should not come unless Mexico will pay for the wall,” said Maureen Meyer, a Mexico expert with the think tank Washington Office on Latin America. “The United States and Mexico are important neighbors and their relationship should be based on respect, partnership and cooperation — not building walls. Any meeting between the presidents should be based on these principles.”

Though earlier in the week some Mexican politicians and political analysts were insisting Peña Nieto had to go to Washington for the sake of diplomacy, reaction to Trump’s tweets on Thursday was remarkably consistent.

“The uncertainty is over,” tweeted Javier Lozano, a Mexican senator with the conservative National Action Party. “It is confirmed that we will have to deal with an arrogant and ignorant despot in the USA.

Nicholas Scheuer
01-27-2017, 08:08 AM
Wonder how many aides have been ordered to prove his inaugural crowd wad bigger than Obama's? Can't wait to see the photo-shopped version.

SMARTINSEN
01-27-2017, 08:08 AM
Speaker of the house is a free trader, does he have any balls?

LeeG
01-27-2017, 08:38 AM
Maybe DT will give up the whole wall thing for a bit after business tells him a trade war is effing stupid, he spends a billion on wall parts, and declares a war on terrists is more important. He can always revisit the topic. The important thing is everyone's guessing and he's effing with DC.

mariner2k
01-27-2017, 09:33 AM
Fortunately I went through my Tequila phase years ago. All about Rum now.

Landrith
01-27-2017, 02:49 PM
Speaker of the house is a free trader, does he have any balls?

I've got the balls to say Speaker Ryan is a Mercantilist the opposite of a free trader. If we hadn't of stopped him, he would have passed the TPP during the lame duck session. Mercantilists like him create trade treaties. Does Speaker Ryan have to have a treaty or a contract to shop at a grocery store....

Nicholas Scheuer
01-27-2017, 02:54 PM
LOL, Texans can pay for it with higher prices for Corona.

skuthorp
01-27-2017, 03:00 PM
I am getting to the point where I don't care whether or not they like it.

The fact is that only 20% of Americans voted for that bloated sack of garbage, and the rest of us are pretty angry about it.

A steamroller really doesn't care about the aluminum can that got in its way.

The 40% who didn't bother to vote have no right to beef about anything that happens to them. The have forfeited their voice in the matter.

oznabrag
01-27-2017, 06:41 PM
The 40% who didn't bother to vote have no right to beef about anything that happens to them. The have forfeited their voice in the matter.

OK.

No. They have forfeited MY voice in the matter.