PDA

View Full Version : Trump stresses checking up on folks registered to vote in two or more States.

Nicholas Scheuer
01-26-2017, 02:37 PM
It may have come to his mind mainly because his two daughters are leading examples of multi-state registration. How about the POTUS himself?

Norman Bernstein
01-26-2017, 02:41 PM
How about this:

Jared Kushner, President Trump’s son-in-law and one of his closest White House advisers, is registered to vote in both New Jersey and New York, the Washington Post (https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-politics/wp/2017/01/26/it-turns-out-trump-son-in-law-jared-kushner-is-also-registered-to-vote-in-two-states/?utm_term=.279a6e82581a) reports.

Four Trump family members or top administration appointees who were registered in two states during the fall election. The others are strategist Stephen Bannon; Tiffany Trump and Treasury Secretary nominee Steven Mnuchin.

Nicholas Scheuer
01-26-2017, 02:44 PM
Just coming back to make a correction for Kushner and see that you've beat me to it Norman.

Canoez
01-26-2017, 02:48 PM
While Bannon's NY/FL registrations would require a bit of legwork, NY/NJ registrations wouldn't require much work.

Nicholas Scheuer
01-26-2017, 02:59 PM
Trump should be called upon to answer, personally, how many of his family, Cabinet, and other Admin Insiders actually voted in more than one state, since he is stressing this so much.

genglandoh
01-26-2017, 03:03 PM
I think this is a great idea.
Many people when they move to a new state do not take the time to remove themselves from the voter rolls in the old state.
So they are registered to vote in 2 states.

TomF
01-26-2017, 03:08 PM
What may be more interesting yet is to see if any of the Trump team exercised their multiple franchise.

Rich Jones
01-26-2017, 03:22 PM
When I moved to Vermont in 2011, I registered in Vermont to vote and didn't think about my old N.Y. voter registration. You mean I might have been able to vote for Hillary twice on election day? Rats! What a missed opportunity!.:D

CK 17
01-26-2017, 03:54 PM
I think this is a great idea.
Many people when they move to a new state do not take the time to remove themselves from the voter rolls in the old state.
So they are registered to vote in 2 states.
So what! It's only illegal to vote in two states, not to be registered in two. I do think an investigation is a good idea. It might show exactly what a farce this jihad the republicans have declared on voter fraud really is.

Just like with the wall, in the end, trump will look stupid--at least to the informed.

genglandoh
01-26-2017, 04:06 PM
So what! It's only illegal to vote in two states, not to be registered in two. I do think an investigation is a good idea. It might show exactly what a farce this jihad the republicans have declared on voter fraud really is.

Just like with the wall, in the end, trump will look stupid--at least to the informed.

The problem is that the states do not cross reference between themselves.
So if your do vote in more then one state no one will know.

I think it is about time to delete every states voter lists and start over.
Maybe we can ash Hillary how the best way it is to delete these computer records.

Norman Bernstein
01-26-2017, 04:08 PM

Hmmm...maybe Steve Bannon voted in New York, then caught a plane and voted in Florida, too.

Gimme a freakin' BREAK!

TomF
01-26-2017, 04:16 PM

Maybe we can ash Hillary how the best way it is to delete these computer records.I think it's fairly safe to guess that you're not going to be one of the newbies approached to staff decapitated Federal departments, geng.

First, do you know that states don't already do this kind of validation? All of them? How - you've researched their statutes, their inter-jurisdiction MOUs on the matter?

Second, if you actually do know this ... doesn't your notion cross over into "States' Rights" under your Constitution - since they operate the elections? Barring a Constitutional Amendment which takes significant power away from States and puts it into Federal hands, have you any ideas how to have all 50 states agree to delete their voters' lists, re-create them to a consistent nationwide standard, and validate them with each other to remove these duplicates? You figure such a Constitutional Amendment would fly, quickly?

Got a plan of how to do all of this before the voters lists need to be updated for any other State purposes, or at least before the mid-term elections occur? Again, got a plan for how to get all 50 states to agree - within the first quarter or two of this fiscal year - to do the work? And who'll pay for it?

David W Pratt
01-26-2017, 04:25 PM
I never unregistered when I moved from NY to RI, or from RI to VT, so I may be registered in three states.
Interestingly, left leaning web sites seem to feel the election was rigged by disenfranchising millions of voters, while President Trump claims it was rigged by enfranchising millions who shouldn't have been. An investigation should please both sides, until the results come out.

CK 17
01-26-2017, 04:32 PM
This is all an attempt to soothe trumps bruised ego after having lost the popular vote. The wall is a total fail on the seventh day of his presidency, as well as this will be also. But I encourage him. I love to see stupid people do stupid things.

Canoeyawl
01-26-2017, 08:53 PM
No more elections then. So there!

Tom Hunter
01-26-2017, 10:32 PM
In fairness it's very easy to be registered in two places, I suspect was registered in Salem MA and Marblehead MA on election day because I moved in June. I only voted in one of them. If they are voting in both that is a crime, and should be prosecuted.

ccmanuals
01-27-2017, 08:41 AM
I believe all of this highlights one of the major problems with our election system.

Why shouldn't a citizen be registered to vote in ALL states. Registration is really no more than proof of eligibility to vote. If you are legally allowed to vote you should be able to cast that vote in any state.

I don't think Trump understands the difference between registration and actual voting.

stromborg
01-27-2017, 10:23 AM
According to usa.gov https://www.usa.gov/register-to-vote (https://www.usa.gov/register-to-vote)
When You Should Re-Register or Update Your Registration Information

Anytime you’ve changed your name
Anytime you’ve moved permanently

You can’t vote in more than one place. When you register to vote in a new location, you’ll be asked for your previous address. Your new election office will send a cancellation form to your previous election office.

Obviously it is a conspiracy between the states to bolster their voter rolls.

David G
01-27-2017, 04:04 PM
Yes - D.Tramp is doubling down on demented claims of voter fraud. Pay no attention. Not supported by fact, such claims are going nowhere -- https://www.yahoo.com/katiecouric/the-truth-behind-voter-fraud-142644101.html

ccmanuals
01-27-2017, 04:11 PM
In the span of a week, “3 million illegal votes” went from an unverified tweet, to an Infowars article, to Drudge report, to the President-elect’s new favorite talking point.

Cuyahoga Chuck
01-27-2017, 06:09 PM

Maybe we can ash Hillary how the best way it is to delete these computer records.

You think what? I only registered once. The year was 1960. Who the hell are you to suggest I should have to register all over again.

TomF
01-27-2017, 06:16 PM
Your photo ID might look a little different. ;)

Daniel Noyes
01-27-2017, 06:26 PM
I believe all of this highlights one of the major problems with our election system.

Why shouldn't a citizen be registered to vote in ALL states. Registration is really no more than proof of eligibility to vote. If you are legally allowed to vote you should be able to cast that vote in any state.

I don't think Trump understands the difference between registration and actual voting.

people are supposed to only be registered to vote in one single location... Because when you vote in that location they cross your name off the voting list as having voted. this ensures one person one vote...

If you can cast your vote any where you can cast your vote every where with todays system... voter rolls are not cross referenced in tabulating votes on election day... the only other alternative is a permanant ink stamp like they sometimes use in India and other countries, it takes weeks to wash off, then you could vote anywhere but just once... as long as poll workers are honest doing their job.

ccmanuals
01-27-2017, 07:43 PM
people are supposed to only be registered to vote in one single location... Because when you vote in that location they cross your name off the voting list as having voted. this ensures one person one vote...

If you can cast your vote any where you can cast your vote every where with todays system... voter rolls are not cross referenced in tabulating votes on election day... the only other alternative is a permanant ink stamp like they sometimes use in India and other countries, it takes weeks to wash off, then you could vote anywhere but just once... as long as poll workers are honest doing their job.

I was referring to a federal registration system. One list. see the difference?

Tom Montgomery
01-27-2017, 07:50 PM
Our president is a freaking moron.

Joe (SoCal)
01-27-2017, 07:55 PM
When I moved to Vermont in 2011, I registered in Vermont to vote and didn't think about my old N.Y. voter registration. You mean I might have been able to vote for Hillary twice on election day? Rats! What a missed opportunity!.:D

We moved from NY & NJ respectively both registered in those states and didnt think about it when we registered in CA. Not that it would have mattered since we left BLUE BLUE states to go to another Blue state.

Oooooh but wait I may still be registered in PA hmmmmmm NOW THAT would have been an "Extra" Vote to cast ;)

Ted Cody
02-22-2017, 08:58 PM
As long as the Repugnican state legislatures can gerrymander their electorate, I don't guess we'll be considering a Federal voting list in congress.

Osborne Russell
02-22-2017, 09:20 PM

State 2 has no power over State 1. If State 2 registers a person to vote, State 1 has no power over it. That's states' rights. Do you propose the Federal Government take even more power away from the states? They are after all the laboratories of Democracy. Besides, the guy that votes twice makes up for a guy that doesn't vote.

Ian McColgin
02-22-2017, 09:36 PM
Firstly, being registered to vote in two states is no violation of anything. States don't purge you if you're a rich white person who moves from one high priced address to another. It's only a crime if you vote twice.

Secondly, voting twice in person (or even once by absentee and once in person) is both labor intensive and will have no impact on an election. It's pointless even by Republican standards.

B_B
02-22-2017, 10:11 PM
As long as the Repugnican state legislatures can gerrymander their electorate, I don't guess we'll be considering a Federal voting list in congress.
If you think for a second this is a Republican issue you're sadly mistaken. Democrats have been gerrymandering for decades. Its just that the Republicans have identified it as a cornerstone of their strategy to keep on winning, and they have. It might be too late for Democrats to recover. Good luck!

skuthorp
02-22-2017, 10:20 PM
Daniel: ".....the only other alternative is a permanant ink stamp like they sometimes use in India...."

A third world solution Daniel? It's for a Federal election in a tech savvy first world country, the rolls should be Federal, controlled by an independent Federal Electoral Commission like other 1st world countries round the world. And it's not about States rights, it's about US Citizens rights. They are US Citizens first and foremost, Your States are not independent countries or personal fiefdoms of their ruling party, you don't need a passport to cross the borders. Or at least that was the situation before the election......