PDA

View Full Version : Pena Nieto / Trump meeting canceled.

JimD
01-26-2017, 12:59 PM
That didn't take long. Looks like the wall just got a little higher. Good for you, Mexico.

John of Phoenix
01-26-2017, 01:05 PM
After all those insults... who's surprised?

JimD
01-26-2017, 01:30 PM
Reportedly Trump told the Mexican president if he wasn't going to agree to pay for the wall not to bother coming to the meeting. By Tweet, of course

"If Mexico is unwilling to pay for the badly needed wall, then it would be better to cancel the upcoming meeting," Trump tweeted (https://twitter.com/ABC/status/824620557786370049) early Thursday. http://www.commondreams.org/news/2017/01/26/mexico-cancels-meeting-trump-shreds-us-mexico-relations-less-week

Norman Bernstein
01-26-2017, 01:32 PM
Yeah, this is gonna work out just fine!

OMFG

JimD
01-26-2017, 01:51 PM
Not quite as easy as bullying your employees around, is it, Donald?

LeeG
01-26-2017, 01:52 PM
More flimflammery.
Undocumented immigration at a 40 yr low. The wall, as ineffective as it would be isn't even needed except as a talking point to stimulate "fear of". This is what Trump is building, fear as a means of control. Every week will be like this. Unrealistic statements for public consumption that his subordinates will walk around or rationalize as needed. I think Murica will like DC being jerked around while they go back to work. "Ha! Stick it to 'em Trump!"

https://qz.com/894606/trumps-executive-order-to-build-a-us-mexico-border-wall-attacks-a-vanishing-issue/

Norman Bernstein
01-26-2017, 01:53 PM
More flimflammery.
Undocumented immigration at a 40 yr low. The wall, as ineffective as it would be isn't even needed except as a talking point to stimulate "fear of". This is what Trump is building, fear as a means of control. Every week will be like this. Unrealistic statements for public consumption that his subordinates will walk around or rationalize as needed. I think Murica will like DC being jerked around while they go back to work. "Ha! Stick it to 'em Trump!"

https://qz.com/894606/trumps-executive-order-to-build-a-us-mexico-border-wall-attacks-a-vanishing-issue/

Precisely. This useless and unnecessary wall is indeed the 'shiny object' that Trump is using to pacify his supporters, and also to distract from real and important issues.

LeeG
01-26-2017, 02:07 PM
Not quite as easy as bullying your employees around, is it, Donald?

That's ok, Trump is sticking it to those foreigners, he'll "build that wall" . He's sticking it to the State Dept! It's why he was elected, to be the Donald!

peb
01-26-2017, 02:14 PM
I am super concerned about all this anti-Trade stuff. I have no problem renegotiating NAFTA. After 20 years, there are bound to be details than need changed and a few things that we got wrong the first time. But it needs to be done in the context of all sides wanting to maintain free trade. On aggregate, our manufacturing job declines have come from automation, not from out sourcing. Sure some company's move offshore, others build new plants here. Its just the new/updated plants take less people. Blaming free trade is not the answer.
As to the wall, just update and fund the dang fence that was authorized in 2006, extend it if necessary. Controlling immigration into our country is a reasonable thing to do, but a wall is not going to really make that big of difference.
We need good relations with Mexico. Trump is screwing this one up. Maybe badly, very badly.

Norman Bernstein
01-26-2017, 02:22 PM
I am super concerned about all this anti-Trade stuff. I have no problem renegotiating NAFTA. After 20 years, there are bound to be details than need changed and a few things that we got wrong the first time. But it needs to be done in the context of all sides wanting to maintain free trade. On aggregate, our manufacturing job declines have come from automation, not from out sourcing. Sure some company's move offshore, others build new plants here. Its just the new/updated plants take less people. Blaming free trade is not the answer.

But it's going to be blamed, nonetheless. When you can't really do anything about the effects of automation, you need SOMETHING to serve as an enemy.

As to the wall, just update and fund the dang fence that was authorized in 2006, extend it if necessary. Controlling immigration into our country is a reasonable thing to do, but a wall is not going to really make that big of difference.

Those of us in the reality-based community are aware that, aside from some probably necessary border improvements and enforcement, illegal immigration is the lowest it's been in 40 years... quite possible, net illegal immigration is actually close to zero... and there have been several studies which demonstrate that the extant illegal immigration has actually been a net economic positive, for this country.

We need good relations with Mexico. Trump is screwing this one up. Maybe badly, very badly.

Keep an eye out for the jobs lost when the trade war starts. When Mexico institutes a retaliatory tariff, consider what happens to the businesses that supply $211 BILLION dollars worth of goods and services to Mexico.. and the number of American jobs that will be lost, as a result.

Mexico will NEVER pay for 'the wall'. The US will not only pay for the wall with dollars... it will pay for the wall with the jobs of tens of thousands of Americans.

bob winter
01-26-2017, 02:24 PM
I do hope the slime doesn't decide it wants to visit Canada instead of Mexico. Trudeau doesn't have the bells to refuse him and I really don't want Canadian tax money being spent on entertaining him. Maybe he should go see his buddy Putin.

CK 17
01-26-2017, 02:25 PM
Sooooo, anyone know how much Mexico cooperates with us on the drug war? I'm guessing at least some. They just lost 50,000 citizens in a nasty on going fight with drug lords.

Maybe Mexico stops this bloody fight. After all, the demand isn't in Mexico, it's here. Why should they lose one more citizen to our drug problem?

if trump cuts off funds they may have a card to play.

John of Phoenix
01-26-2017, 02:34 PM
I do hope the slime doesn't decide it wants to visit Canada instead of Mexico. Trudeau doesn't have the bells to refuse him and I really don't want Canadian tax money being spent on entertaining him. Maybe he should go see his buddy Putin.This just in!

“And we’re happy to pay for it,” say a united front of Canadian premiers, national leaders, mayors, citizens, and casual acquaintances, of the newly planted hedge that has sprung up seemingly overnight, running unbroken for 6,416 kilometers, along the world’s longest undefended border.

“Sometimes the best way for neighbours to get along, is a little bit of privacy. Even in the winter. Even when you have to break frozen ground to get it. Even when your neighbour has spy satellites and a penchant for caching electronic communications. Even then, a hedge can’t hurt.”

http://static.snopes.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/privacy_hedge_feature.jpg

[/satire] (for the reds)

Canoez
01-26-2017, 02:36 PM
This just in!

“And we’re happy to pay for it,” say a united front of Canadian premiers, national leaders, mayors, citizens, and casual acquaintances, of the newly planted hedge that has sprung up seemingly overnight, running unbroken for 6,416 kilometers, along the world’s longest undefended border.

“Sometimes the best way for neighbours to get along, is a little bit of privacy. Even in the winter. Even when you have to break frozen ground to get it. Even when your neighbour has spy satellites and a penchant for caching electronic communications. Even then, a hedge can’t hurt.”

[/satire] (for the reds)

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/--UTG0bty5Ug/T04etNpdMpI/AAAAAAAABZE/5pOzJ8T1SBU/s1600/whatisit_wall_revealed.jpg

Reynard38
01-26-2017, 02:51 PM
2000 miles of wall. Steel, concrete, lots of construction equipment.

Lot of $$$. Somebody's gonna get richer.

Who are Trumps friends in the construction business? Follow the money.

Maybe buy a stock or 2?

LeeG
01-26-2017, 02:56 PM
Good for Trump. Keep out the drugs and criminals. Toss out NAFTA while you're at it.

Bingo, Good for Trump. It won't keep out drugs or criminals but he's poking everyone in the eye except you. go Trump!

JimD
01-26-2017, 03:00 PM
I do hope the slime doesn't decide it wants to visit Canada instead of Mexico. Trudeau doesn't have the bells to refuse him and I really don't want Canadian tax money being spent on entertaining him. Maybe he should go see his buddy Putin.It's not likely any sitting Canadian prime minister would ever snub a sitting US president by refusing him entry into Canada. And so far there isn't much concern about Canada/US relations. We are America's biggest foreign supplier or fossil fuels and it makes sense to continue that relationship if only for strategic reasons. And since our standard of living is on par we are not a source of cheap labour. I wouldn't be surprised if it remains mostly business as usual between us. The carnival side show, if that's what it is, will remain on the southern border, not the northern.

John of Phoenix
01-26-2017, 03:00 PM
2000 miles of wall. Steel, concrete, lots of construction equipment.

Lot of $$$. Somebody's gonna get richer.

Who are Trumps friends in the construction business? Follow the money.

Maybe buy a stock or 2?Mexican ladder manufacturer Escaleras Somos Nosotros (Ladders R Us) - sure to double at least. :D

skuthorp
01-26-2017, 03:14 PM
Donald seems to be upset that he 'wasn't treated with respect' by Nieto.
The biter bit.

Steve McMahon
01-26-2017, 03:18 PM
I am going to do my part and send Trump my old copy of How to Win Friends and Influence People by Dale Carnegie. Maybe someone will read it to him.

JimD
01-26-2017, 03:24 PM
Maybe someone will read it to him.But probably not the Education Secretary, who struggles with simple English. Besides, Trump can only read tweets. Can you break it down into tweets for him?

bob winter
01-26-2017, 03:28 PM
It's not likely any sitting Canadian prime minister would ever snub a sitting US president by refusing him entry into Canada. And so far there isn't much concern about Canada/US relations. We are America's biggest foreign supplier or fossil fuels and it makes sense to continue that relationship if only for strategic reasons. And since our standard of living is on par we are not a source of cheap labour. I wouldn't be surprised if it remains mostly business as usual between us. The carnival side show, if that's what it is, will remain on the southern border, not the northern.

I hope you are right but I am far from sure. Trump will keep hammering away. I was originally misinformed, I had been under the impression that Trump was going to visit Mexico.