PDA

View Full Version : Message from a bottle

Jim Mahan
01-15-2017, 11:58 AM
My bibulous friends, those of you still engaged in worship at the alter of the brewery, in the tabernacle of the distillery, I am henceforth, since April last, unable to join you in your bar-tavern-pub-saloon-hopping-EBSing sodden-ness; busily, happily? nay—but determined selfly, content for the nonce, aware the nunse—totalling all of my tee, parched and arid as a q-tip, but with clear eye and stout, still, I am with you in spirit. My emtpy tankard raised bottom uppermost, I salute your persistence, and offer solace from your concern for my stark new sobriety; I'll be fine of coarse, lofted to rarefied heights, my stable mood ballasted by stoney verdancy, I bid y'all cheers and good, wet morrow.

:arg

Peerie Maa
01-15-2017, 12:23 PM
No wonder you are laying off the drink if they were serving you clear stout.
http://www.beersmith.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/imperial-stout.jpg

TomF
01-15-2017, 12:27 PM
Can we still eat lamb chops together though?

amish rob
01-15-2017, 12:42 PM
No wonder you are laying off the drink if they were serving you clear stout.
http://www.beersmith.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/imperial-stout.jpg
That's about the perfect amount for Emperor Cheap Date.:)

Peace,
Robert

David G
01-15-2017, 02:03 PM
We all have our paths to tread. Recognizing yours is good. I hoist a pint of porter to celebrate your choice.

Jim Mahan
01-15-2017, 03:12 PM
We all have our paths to tread. Recognizing yours is good. I hoist a pint of porter to celebrate your choice.

Self-imposed. One of the things I noticed, is that it is tremendously liberating. No longer a thrall to the vast liquid empire. Very much the same as when I gave up being a fan of football. I got Sundays back. I am very happy not to have any time or emotion invested in that activity. And I don't mind a smug observation once in a while that I am not washing significant moolah down the toilet. I don't miss either activity at all.

[QUOTE][Can we still eat lamb chops together though?/QUOTE]

Ewe bet!

TomF
01-15-2017, 04:42 PM
I don't drink much, which means that I care about the taste of it a bit more than, say, in my university days.

Herself and I figured out the $ we've saved over the years by drinking as an occasional luxury - a bit surprising.

skuthorp
01-15-2017, 05:23 PM
I have had to be rather selective in my beer choices for the last few years, and abstain at times. Can give me bad sinus headaches.

ron ll
01-15-2017, 05:40 PM
I have had to be rather selective in my beer choices for the last few years, and abstain at times. Can give me bad sinus headaches.

I've mentioned this here before and I certainly don't think it works for everyone. But I battled beer and wine headaches for years. Not a hangover, but often times a headache would start before I finished the first beer. I tried many things including drinking a lot of water daily as it seemed a likely culprit was dehydration. But even that didn't help until a year or so ago I discovered that Gatorade plus drinking water pretty much solved the problem. Evidently I was lacking some electrolytes. As I say, it probably won't work for everyone but it might be worth a try. I still only drink two or three beers a week, but I no longer have the headaches when I do.

wizbang 13
01-16-2017, 03:48 AM
I quit for 8 years when my son was growing up.
Driving the soccer team around etc.
i do not remember much else of that dry decade ashore.
"When in Rum"!!

skuthorp
01-16-2017, 03:54 AM
I've mentioned this here before and I certainly don't think it works for everyone. But I battled beer and wine headaches for years. Not a hangover, but often times a headache would start before I finished the first beer. I tried many things including drinking a lot of water daily as it seemed a likely culprit was dehydration. But even that didn't help until a year or so ago I discovered that Gatorade plus drinking water pretty much solved the problem. Evidently I was lacking some electrolytes. As I say, it probably won't work for everyone but it might be worth a try. I still only drink two or three beers a week, but I no longer have the headaches when I do.

You might have something there Ron. I work hard on our property in the summer, and have never drunk much at all. Certainly on average less than a glass of water a day. I have never needed to. But the electrolyte thing might be the answer. Thanks, I'll give it a try.

Rum_Pirate
01-16-2017, 08:05 AM
You might have something there Ron. I work hard on our property in the summer, and have never drunk much at all. Certainly on average less than a glass of water a day. I have never needed to. But the electrolyte thing might be the answer. Thanks, I'll give it a try.
Check your drugstore for rehydration salts for babies and infants. They work well.Y>

ron ll
01-16-2017, 10:51 AM
Check your drugstore for rehydration salts for babies and infants. They work well.Y>

That might be a good way to go. Many either don't like the taste of Gatorade or the added sugar (although there isn't that much). I've been wondering why I am missing electrolytes in my normal diet (which is pretty bad I admit). But eating more bananas didn't help :). But there is no doubt that the Gatorade made a big difference in my headaches.

amish rob
01-16-2017, 11:28 AM
That might be a good way to go. Many either don't like the taste of Gatorade or the added sugar (although there isn't that much). I've been wondering why I am missing electrolytes in my normal diet (which is pretty bad I admit). But eating more bananas didn't help :). But there is no doubt that the Gatorade made a big difference in my headaches.

There is a product called Endurolytes, made by Hammer nutrition. It's a gel cap form of all the salts and minerals you lose in sweat. They also make flavored fizzy tablets to add to water.
Plain water won't rehydrate you, and can actually hurt you bad. Hyponatremia can kill you.
Also, coconut water is a good drink. It is full of electrolytes.

Gatorade does have a ton of sugar, but it isn't HFCS, so isn't straight poison, but sugar makes you fat. If you use "sports drinks" to rehydrate, use the "recovery" formulas. They all have them, now, and they are lower sugar, higher salt formulas, generally.

Peace,
Robert

Jim Mahan
01-16-2017, 12:18 PM
Plain water won't rehydrate you...

Shirley, this is hyperbole?

amish rob
01-16-2017, 12:36 PM
Nope. The hard facts an endurance athlete faces. If you have been sweating heavily for 8 hours and your urine is very clear, you might be in trouble.
Hyponatremia is when you don't have enough salts in your liquid bits. It is a real thing, and can kill.

We need the electrolytes returned, too. On an Ironman or ultramarathon, I won't drink plain water. Any fluid intake must have calories or electrolytes.

Which is NOT to say you don't need plenty of water. But, too much plain water can be very bad.

Peace,
Robert

And don't call me Shirley.:d I LOVE that movie, and your fantastic sense of humor, Jim.

CK 17
01-16-2017, 12:38 PM
Robert is a marathoner, ultra even. He's starting on a different plain of dehydration :p

Shang
01-16-2017, 12:55 PM

Yes, we used to carry a bottle or two in our cross-country back packs, it's no joke to see someone go White-Eyed when his electrolytes bottom out.

By the way, the re-hydration salts for kids tastes awful, so sometimes you have to be insistent with the guest of honor;.

amish rob
01-16-2017, 01:02 PM
Robert is a marathoner, ultra even. He's starting on a different plain of dehydration :p
True. True. But still. It's trickle down science.:)

We were discussing fitness, the other day. I was lamenting my lack of fitness. My Uncle was just dumbstruck.

I do remember that I am abnormal when I give advice. And, it's not just looney bin stuff. My friends are Kinesiologists, Sports Nutritionists, Chiropractors, DPTs, MDs. We play, train, and study hard, and push the limits, but the difference is only a matter of degree.

Roofing all day, everyday, for example, or picking fruit, for another, is as hard as any workout here is. A long day in the boatyard or baking in the cockpit of a sailboat ain't much different.

Peace,
Robert

P.S. I like the Hammer fizzy things. They remind me of AlkaSetzer, and they are none too sweet or fizzy.

Jim Mahan
01-16-2017, 02:17 PM
Rob, I don't know if you remember, or if it made the national news, a few years ago a local woman died during a phone-in radio 'contest.' The two dimwit radio hosts announced tickets to a listener who could drink the most water. I think maybe they were having fun about making people drink and pee a lot, or something. The poor young mother, in innocent ignorance, drank something like thirty glasses of water and died from inadvertantly flushing her system of electrolytes.

I guess I missed that you were talking about rehydrating following or during a marathon.

And you're funny, too.

Jim Bow
01-16-2017, 03:07 PM
When I was 22, in the Navy, I got so drunk that I was sickened for weeks. Even a booze ad in a magazine would turn my stomach. For the last 50 years its been an occasional beer now and then.
Wife was raised by a family of alcoholics, and her stories make me cringe.