PDA

View Full Version : where to place oar locks on a wayfarer ?

Zymguy
01-10-2017, 04:53 PM
my boat came with oars (broken) but no locks , im looking several diffrent locks, but where do i put them ?
thanks
ben

Peerie Maa
01-10-2017, 05:02 PM
my boat came with oars (broken) but no locks , im looking several diffrent locks, but where do i put them ?
thanks
ben

11 inches aft of the aft edge of the thwart that you will sit on to row.

lupussonic
01-10-2017, 05:16 PM
Nah, 11 1/4".

Yeadon
01-10-2017, 05:19 PM
My friends, all of your distances stated are purely arbitrary. I believe in an anthropometric method ... measure the distance from your elbow to the knuckle on your thumb. That is the correct distance to place your oarlock aft of the thwart.

Peerie Maa
01-10-2017, 06:12 PM
My friends, all of your distances stated are purely arbitrary. I believe in an anthropometric method ... measure the distance from your elbow to the knuckle on your thumb. That is the correct distance to place your oarlock aft of the thwart.

Front or back of bent arm, or with the arm straight?

Yeadon
01-10-2017, 06:21 PM
Front or back of bent arm, or with the arm straight?

Great question! Measure from roughly the radius head to the capitate.

Zymguy
01-10-2017, 06:41 PM

huh ?

Peerie Maa
01-10-2017, 06:42 PM

I think that makes an inch and a half or more difference. 12" on my arm.

Peerie Maa
01-10-2017, 06:50 PM
huh ?

Here
http://www.eorthopod.com/images/ContentImages/Fractures/adult_fractures/adult_elbow_fx/adult_elbow_fx_radial_head_anatomy01.jpg
to here
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/1f/RightHumanAnteriorDistalRadiusUlnaCarpals_-_Capitate_bone.png

lupussonic
01-10-2017, 07:17 PM
Yours may look like that.....:d

Zymguy, sit upright in your rowing position, with oars over the side, shoulders to elbow vertical, elbows to hand (around oars) horizontal (ish). That should give you a benchmark. I always also factor foot rests to push against in too, and with a Wayfarer you unlikely to want to make too many adjustments; probably up against the aft tank.

Do oarlocks on tracks exist? Maybe thats how I'll make my millions...

Zymguy
01-10-2017, 08:34 PM
inner gunwale or center of the top ?

John Meachen
01-11-2017, 06:14 PM
It might be easier to get specifics from fellow Wayfarer owners.Have you asked at http://www.uswayfarer.org/ ?

Gruds
01-12-2017, 07:40 AM
I thought the old and well-tested anthropometric method for this was "a foot from the rowlocks to the bollocks"

Apologies if anyone is offended by my use of the term rowlocks.

Oldad
01-12-2017, 09:05 AM
If you are the only one who will row the boat then your measurement ideas are correct, however, a generic measurement is better @ 12" aft of the thwart. The other question is how high from the top of the thwart should the oarlocks be located?

John Meachen
01-12-2017, 05:53 PM
The distance aft isn't the only variable to consider.The Wayfarer has quite wide side decks and is a good deal beamier than a single purpose rowing boat,consequently the gearing may dictate that the gunwhale isn't the optimum location.

Zymguy
01-25-2017, 03:02 AM
i noticed today on youtube watching "4000 miles in a wayfarer dinghy" his locks were ontop the gunwale and to the outside.

Canoe
01-25-2017, 09:33 AM
I thought the old and well-tested anthropometric method for this was "a foot from the rowlocks to the bollocks"

Apologies if anyone is offended by my use of the term rowlocks.

Mr. Gruds, you just made my day!!, my wife and I think your "Anthopmetric Method" not only really funny but also a very catchy gauge!......thanks.

Greetings from Brass Monkey Freezing Germany,

Alan.